I'm back from BALI with photos !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM is one of our members. Check out his website, his photos are amazing!

Here are some of my favourite from Menjangan Island. By this stage I had really good the camera working and my keeper rate was much higher (the lack of current also helped).

1. I really love the leaf scorpian and got about 6 shots including the one below which came out well.

Image by lukeROB (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

2. The little purple squat lobster was found and subsequently named after a local diver Wally Siagan (hope that is spelt right?). It is about 2cm-3cm and pretty common at the Menjangan sites.

3. This Batfish here were super friendly and followed us for most of the dives.

4. I had to take a diver looking at fish shot.

slee416:
but this will be my first time using a strobe. It may just be a trip report without any pics....take note Alcina :wink:

BTW did you guys see the pic o the week from wetpixel? Amazing still life.

I expect pictures!! :D

Chrism posts here, I think. He is the kelp king. His images are beautiful. Definitely a photographer whose skills I admire!

We just talked to a friend about his recent trip to Bali. He made it sound as if it were very cheap to go there, comparitively speaking. They stayed 2 weeks! Is it your opinion, as his, that this is a high bang for your buck vacation? Lots for your money? The pictures are magnificent. I want to go, now, after seeing those. Thanks so much.
Foo

Foo:
We just talked to a friend about his recent trip to Bali. He made it sound as if it were very cheap to go there, comparitively speaking. They stayed 2 weeks! Is it your opinion, as his, that this is a high bang for your buck vacation? Lots for your money? The pictures are magnificent. I want to go, now, after seeing those. Thanks so much.
Foo

From where I live Perth, it is definatly the best bang for the buck dive destination I can think of. For you a little more expensive to fly there but your money will buy a lot more. For the ten days I spent with BIPD (diving part) it only cost around US$2000 for both me and Tanya - consider also that the last two nights our accomodation was US$320. You could do it a lot cheaper and still have great accomodation and diving, read my report for suggestions.

Lukerob,

Can you comment on how you managed memory during this trip? Did you downloand along the way and clear out cards? If not how many cards and how much capacity did you take?

I have two 512CF cards and each card gives me total capacity of 250 shots at highest resolution and size on the Canon A80. But I am planning on 20 to 25 dives. I don't know what my per dive snap rate or 1st cut/2nd cut keeper rate will be, but I feel like I'll need at least two more 512CF cards. I would delete the obvious throwaways after each dive or dive day, but I tend to be conservative with this prefering to wait until I get the images onto my home PC.

Besides two cards doesn't provide enough capacity for a backup card in case of failure or a card dedicated for land shots. Maybe I need three more??? Am I going overboard here?

slee416:
Lukerob,

Can you comment on how you managed memory during this trip? Did you downloand along the way and clear out cards? If not how many cards and how much capacity did you take?

I have two 512CF cards and each card gives me total capacity of 250 shots at highest resolution and size on the Canon A80. But I am planning on 20 to 25 dives. I don't know what my per dive snap rate or 1st cut/2nd cut keeper rate will be, but I feel like I'll need at least two more 512CF cards. I would delete the obvious throwaways after each dive or dive day, but I tend to be conservative with this prefering to wait until I get the images onto my home PC.

Besides two cards doesn't provide enough capacity for a backup card in case of failure or a card dedicated for land shots. Maybe I need three more??? Am I going overboard here?

You 2 X 512 will be fine. I took my laptop and one 256MB card (does 2 dives for me ~ 140 photos), so had no problems and made backups on to CD. I only did 17 dives and have around 1 GB of photos on my drive - not all are keepers and some are very similar shots just in case focus was wrong. However if the focus is not very good I just delete them so this figure is not accurate without having the ability to check on a good moniter.

If you don't want to take a laptop I would take one of the new drives which allow downloading straight from the cards. Most have at least 20GB, but are upgradable (20GB is plenty). Even if you don't delete anything you won't fill this drive. It is also cheaper to get one of these than getting the same amount of memory in compact flash - hell even a US$300 Ipod would do the trick.

slee416:
I would delete the obvious throwaways after each dive or dive day, but I tend to be conservative with this prefering to wait until I get the images onto my home PC.

LukeRob answered well but I would add a caution - DO NOT delete your "obvious" trash...sometimes you'll be surprised when you get back to the computer what is really in an image - those little screens are only good for deleting heinously unfocused shots! And if you don't need the memory on that dive, don't delete anything until you have a good look at it back on land. Just my two cents.

And I think you really do need to download frequently or you risk losing multiple days/dives in flood or other disaster. I download after every day's diving - never take non-downloaded images on my card the next day! YMMV

Back
Top Bottom