I'm back from BALI with photos !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The conclusion to my trip, sorry I took a long time. Also sorry for the bad writing but your gonna have to deal with it.

PART 5 - Secret Bay (Gilimanuak) and Menjangan

The diving up until now has been fantastic and we still have six dives left in an area which I thought had some of the most promise. We headed first to Gilimanuak Bay which is the crossing to Java and has been listed everywhere as a ‘muck diving extravaganza’. This is true to some extent but comes with it’s own drawbacks. Firstly this site is interesting if you are looking for some strange creatures but is otherwise unappealing. It is literally a trash heap and a lot of the creatures are using this trash as their homes. The water is very green, it is shallow and the visibility was no more than 5m when we dived it. Apparently the conditions are a little better with a rising tide instead of a falling one, but not much. The water is also colder than the rest of Bali – at one point I checked because I was biting the reg a little harder than usual and saw it was only 24ºC. After 95 minutes I was defiantly cold and since the tide was getting low if we didn’t jump straight back in it would have been undivable - so we gave the second dive a miss as it was just too cold. Apparently the site had changed quite a bit as there were no sea-grass patches and hence no ghost pipefish and other critters usual found hiding in it. We did find some strange critters including anglerfish (4 different ones), blennies, double-ended pipefish, seahorse, some weird shrimp, snake eels, dragonets, dwarf lionfish, pygmy leatherjackets, varied crabs, razor fish, striped catfish balls and probably a lot more I can’t remember. Like Seraya this is not a dive for everyone and the amount of sea cucumbers (the feathered end ones - disgusting) and urchins were off putting. All in all I wouldn’t bother diving here again – Seraya is far, far, far superior. There are better muck diving sites around and with the limited facilities here it is an out of the way place that didn’t live up to expectations.

The last area we dived was Menjangan Island. If you like lots of corals, huge walls, huge fans, huge barrel sponges, lots of fish life, and crystal clear water than these are your sort of dive sites. I really enjoyed the diving here, very peaceful. No currents and reefs walls flatting out at about 6 meters meant long dives and awesome scenery. I won’t go on to long about the 4 different sites we dived but they each offered something different and if you go here you should do at least 2 days of diving. All this sounds perfect but I wouldn’t come back here – why? It is a long way to travel about 3.5 hours back to Denpassar. The diving appears similar to Pendia which is far closer and has the chance to see Molas. And it doesn’t have the same variety of critters as the Tulamben area. Although if you want to get away from the ‘hussle and bussle’ of the Kuta area and don’t want the fast drifts found in Pendia than by all means this is perfect.

We stayed in the Mimpi Menjangan for a couple of nights after finishing all our diving. This is luxury – we had our own personal hot spring tub in our villa. For a relaxing diving adventure, this is your spot, but it’s defiantly not cheap. The drive home is scenic, but it happened to be the only day it rained while we were there. I won’t go through everything we saw at the dive sites but will say that Pos II is probably the best spot we dived. I think the wide angle shots I took here give you an idea anyway, but they still don’t seem to do justice to the grandeur of the walls. The wreck is also a good dive but is pretty deep – I think it starts at about 32 meters. Sorry for all the waits in between and I’ll slowly post up some pictures from the sites mentioned above. My final tip for accommodation while in Menjangan would probably be Pondok Sari for the budget diver and Taman Sari if you want a little more luxury but don’t want to blow the budget on a place like Mimpi.

To all those heading to Bali soon, you’ll love it. Considering how little a trip can cost there you defiantly get value for money. For me I’d love to head back soon, but I want to dive in North Sulawesi first. I hope this report helped you make decisions on where to head and the spots to dive. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

Things I recommend besides diving are white water rafting, heading up to Ubud for monkey’s, elephants and great crafts (it is cheaper here than Kuta). Seeing the volcanoes, lakes, temples and rice fields is also worth a day trip. Besides that I didn’t do much else but relax (for 5 minutes) and get dragged around shopping – small price to pay for going diving for 9 days. Also get massages and the likes it is so damn cheap.

The END.

First two are from Gilimanuak. Second two are from Menjangan. I'll post some more from each site soon.

Image by lukeROB (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

some strange critters including anglerfish (4 different ones), blennies, double-ended pipefish, seahorse, some weird shrimp, snake eels, dragonets, dwarf lionfish, pygmy leatherjackets, varied crabs, razor fish, striped catfish balls and probably a lot more I can’t remember. Like Seraya this is not a dive for everyone and the amount of sea cucumbers (the feathered end ones - disgusting)

This still sounds like a fantastic area - for me, anyway! And to think this wasn't even on your favourites list!

Thanks for the extensive and helpful review. Haven't been to Bali yet (pathetic, I know) but your report really pushes it up the list as a destination...especially if they ever get a service running from here to there as has been indicated.

I may have missed it, but how long did you stay in total? And how many dive days? <sigh> like I can even begin to plan another holiday...already booked solid until next September!!

alcina:
This still sounds like a fantastic area - for me, anyway! And to think this wasn't even on your favourites list!

Thanks for the extensive and helpful review. Haven't been to Bali yet (pathetic, I know) but your report really pushes it up the list as a destination...especially if they ever get a service running from here to there as has been indicated.

I may have missed it, but how long did you stay in total? And how many dive days? <sigh> like I can even begin to plan another holiday...already booked solid until next September!!

Yeah as I say some will like it. I would do it again if it was closer but I didn't find it worth the effort. Plus with Tanya, who is more a fan of colour and corals it would be hard to convice her to dive it again.

You've been to some great places so Bali may not have as much appeal to you. I think the cost for us from WA makes it a better spot than it is. I stayed for 20 nights all up with 9 days of diving (17 dives in total - shortest dive time 62 minutes, longest 95)

lukeROB:
I would do it again if it was closer but I didn't find it worth the effort.

That's really good to know.

lukeROB:
You've been to some great places
LOL - I've been nowhere! 2 dives in Hawaii, two weeks in the Maldives, one GBR/CS liveaboard and then WA! But I have to admit to always having great dives in these limited locations!

lukeROB:
I stayed for 20 nights all up with 9 days of diving (17 dives in total - shortest dive time 62 minutes, longest 95)
20 nights - wow! I'd probably do 7 -9 nights only...when we start to plan I'm coming back to this thread for suggestions! & 62 minutes - DH will never last that long :wink: LOL

More pictures...

Again uncropped and only brightness/contrast editing.
Blennie had a slight USM sharpen.

Love them all but the Blenny is amazing.

Dee:
Love them all but the Blenny is amazing.

He was even more fun to play with. I don't think my photos do him justice, but heres another because you liked him.

I just love his eyes! So strange. And that little Fu Manchu thing he has going on is so cute!

Thanks!

Great report Lukerob. I wish I had 20 days, but we're only going for 10 and a half. I was wavering back and forth on Menjagan. Your report was what I needed and we're going to play it by ear and decide after we do Tulamben, Seraya and Nusa Penida. I hope I can get some pics half as impressive as yours, but this will be my first time using a strobe. It may just be a trip report without any pics....take note Alcina :wink:

BTW did you guys see the pic o the week from wetpixel? Amazing still life.

http://www.wetpixel.com/modules.php...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Back
Top Bottom