I'm back from BALI with photos !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, me too!

so many fish!

I'm a sucker for those pygmy seahorses -- great shot. Where did you find that one? I dove Tulamben and Menjangan Island and went blind trying to find one. My dive guides said they're hard to find. Thanks for the virtual dive.

fantastic shots! I am envious of the pygmy seahorse... and look forward to your trip report :)

lukeROB:
Ok I just got back, I'm sure i've missed a heap of good stuff on here while I was away.

Anyway I'm going to wet everyones appetite with just 5 pictures of the amazing diving we had there.

I'll post them slowly unless I can get some webspace soon and then I'll put as many up as possible. I'll also give a mini trip report if anyone is interested as I definatly learned a lot while there and will do things slightly differently when I go back. Importantly our guide and the company we dived with were outstanding so much so I would say they are better than anything I have experienced in australia (besides Cocos (keeling) Islands.

Anyway the reason you all looked at the post....

Nice Pictures.

Going to Bali in March! I was getting by with March until now! I'm wanna go now!!!

Joe

Very nice shots. Which sites did you dive?
I'm heading to Bali for a wedding in Sept and hope to get a few dives in while I'm up there

Ok I'm going to do this report in installments:

I'll attach and link to some photos from the dive sites mentioned.

To some other questions - shots were mostly taken with macro (inon 1.4X) and WA (inon 105 degrees) or the standard lens (not many).

The pygmy is about 1/2 inch and shot with the macro from about 10cm away full zoom (I really wish I had two stacked macros - there is always next time)

Part 1 - Bali, Penida and Padang Bai

Ok this is not going to be a huge report but I always like to hear other peoples experience from a trip so I’ll share a few of mine.

The weather was perfect it never rained and the temperatures were mild at around 28-30 degrees C. We had been in Bali for about 8 days before Tanya and I left our main group to dive. We had planned to dive in Penida (toyapekah) but I had a small motorbike incident (hehe) so I couldn’t bring myself to put on a wetsuit for a couple of days. I did snorkel a Nusa Lembongan and the vis was fantastic and the corals the most healthy I saw in Bali. After talking to our guide Purwano I have decided that the only regret about my trip is I never managed to dive in Penida (I really wanted to see Mola Mola).

Now onto the important part – the diving. We dived with Bali International Diving Professionals (BIDP) and I really cannot say enough good things about them. I organized the whole trip through email and by phone. They were the first place I emailed and although I found out a few other prices from the first emails onwards they seemed like a great bunch. Choosing them to dive with was the best decision I made, they are not the cheapest but they were fantastic. The owner Avandy is a really great guy and is himself a very good photographer but now is deadest on video (he’s good at that too). We both shared the common interest of strange and interesting macro marine life so we got on well from the start. He had a heap to do at the office as they have just moved so he couldn’t didn’t manage to take us on the trip but we got in one dive together. This didn’t matter he sent a guide with us named Purwano – defiantly one of the best guys I have met. Many nights were spent chatting about diving and life and a few Bintangs (local beer – very tasty) were had. And this I think typifies Bali - the people are fantastic.

I must make the point that BIDP are very professional and everything they did was geared toward the customer. They stressed it was ‘our holiday’ and whatever we wanted to do we only had to ask. Along the drive we stopped at scenic spots and everything for each days diving was totally taken care of – stress free diving. They were extremely safe and Purwano a very skilled diver (or fish I think he had lungs – after 90 minutes he had only used 100 bar).

Our first dives were at Pandang Bai on the way to Tulamben (East Coast) it was a really nice place except the swell had been up and still hadn’t totally died so we were fairly limited in the dive spots. We dived both dives around the ‘Blue Lagoon’ area and had reasonable vis at about 15m, warm water of about 28ºC so it was still a good intro coming off my last dive which had vis of about 5m and water temps of 19ºC. The dives started in a calm bay and move down a slope which had a gentle current running along it. The life was interesting here and I would come back as we found a lot of good critters although the corals are not fantastic - it is pretty. Found hinge-beak shrimps, many cleaners, big and varied morays, multiple leaf fish, pipefish plus many others and obviously are the usual tropical reef suspects.

Both pictures from Padang Bai - more at HERE ! (cuttlefish, hinge-beak, two cleaners and christmas tree) - if you want some scenic WA let me know.
23754IMG_7914.jpg

23754IMG_7952.jpg

those are two AMAZING pictures... wow

Your whole gallery is great! Thanks for the report so far....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom