if you're sick after a dive, take it seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do follow up with the CT and see if you can get to the root issue.
  1. It may not be what they thought it was and a predisposition to embolism wasn't the cause.
  2. It may not be what they thought it was and a predisposition to embolism wasn't the cause.
Yes that is intentionally duplicated because there are two important meanings ... Diving and the your well being in general!

I would think that DCS would be pretty tough on nothing but a shallow safety stop. But as you point out, our bodies are fickle.
I am neither a medical doctor nor a dive-physiology researcher, but in combination these two articles trigger "hmmmm..." thoughts:
Uncovering the Link Between PFO and Inner Ear DCS (Based on research from @Dr Simon Mitchell )
Obviously I want to know what exactly happened. But it’d be pretty hard to hear okay, that’s not what happened, this is- but you still can’t dive.

Please do follow up with the CT and see if you can get to the root issue.
  1. It may not be what they thought it was and a predisposition to embolism wasn't the cause.
  2. It may not be what they thought it was and a predisposition to embolism wasn't the cause.
Yes that is intentionally duplicated because there are two important meanings ... Diving and your well being in general!

I would think that DCS would be pretty tough on nothing but a shallow safety stop. But as you point out, our bodies are fickle.
I am neither a medical doctor nor a dive-physiology researcher, but in combination these two articles trigger "hmmmm..." thoughts:
Uncovering the Link Between PFO and Inner Ear DCS (Based on research from @Dr Simon Mitchell )

ETA: I don't know if PFO detection could be easily added to the same CT scan procedure (from technical and administrative perspectives)

Thar is interesting. Same depth as OP, OP was a longer dive at 20 minutes and she didn't indicate rapid ascent.

The symptoms seem to be similar and the article mentions that risk of DCS was extremely low as very little nitrogen loading would have happened.

Big reminder that this dive injury is a very new science and very much still mostly theory.

Sad when it happens on dives we would never think.

Hi @kaylee_ann

You most certainly did not have DCS. I can't think of why you would have a CAGE. With persistent neurological deficit, I would see a good neurologist.
That was actually suggested- I’ll have to see where I could go

OP did you report the incident to DAN?

How do I do that?
And what should I tell them

Call them and tell them the profile symptoms etc. Don't leave out the delay in treatment. These things become important. It is sad when this happens but perhaps causes can be determined to avoid it in the future.

Call them and tell them the profile symptoms etc. Don't leave out the delay in treatment. These things become important. It is sad when this happens but perhaps causes can be determined to avoid it in the future.
Okay- will do Monday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom