if you're sick after a dive, take it seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, contact DAN and they might take up your incidence and alert other divers. And they might even direct you to expertise treatment.
Good luck.

Hi @kaylee_ann

You most certainly did not have DCS. I can't think of why you would have a CAGE. With persistent neurological deficit, I would see a good neurologist.
This. You can get an arterial gas embolism / pulmonary barotrauma from a rapid ascent from 13ft but no way will you get decompression sickness as there just won’t be enough nitrogen absorbed in your tissues for just a few minutes at that depth. Sorry but the cause of your illness was most likely not caused by decompression illness.

Not a doctor…but scubadada is.

This. You can get an arterial gas embolism / pulmonary barotrauma from a rapid ascent from 13ft but no way will you get decompression sickness as there just won’t be enough nitrogen absorbed in your tissues for just a few minutes at that depth. Sorry but the cause of your illness was most likely not caused by decompression illness.

Not a doctor…but scubadada is.
yeah no that's why i never went to get help. because DCS just doesn't happen at 13 feet
eta didn't think of an AGE as a remote possibility for it either

yeah no that's why i never went to get help. because DCS just doesn't happen at 13 feet
eta didn't think of an AGE as a remote possibility for it either
AGE is very possible at those depths. At 1.5 ata (15 ft), the gas in your lungs will expand by 50% if you surface without exhalation. But your symptoms do not correlate with that.

Ok a little more information
OP is a friend we started talking after she first signed up for classes.
I was the before mentioned dive buddy and instructor who told her she was well on her way to tech, I also have been telling her to slow down.
She was staying in my spare room and came to do her first real dive. I choose the site based on easy entry and lots of wildlife even when shallow. She rented the gear she needed and we headed to the site. Air temp was close to 100 with humidity to boot.
The only issues were depending in which she simply wasn't used to the BC and was not fully deflating it (easily and quickly solved).

The dive itself was fine her trim and bouyancy control both excellent. Ascent rate was fine and not at all rapid.

On the way out she fell, I asked if she was OK and she said yes laughing (as she mentioned) so I didn't think anything of it. Next morning she said she was tired, again nothing surprising to either of us as the excitement of first dive, sleeping in a strange place and high heat the previous day all can cause this, plus I leave at 530 in the morning.

The rest you know.

As for @kay_ann you started this thread to point out your mistake of not reporting it immediately so others can learn from it and I commend you for that.

Hopefully DAN can point you to good doctors for full recovery and or use this to prevent it from happening.

AGE is very possible at those depths. At .5 ata (15 ft), the gas in your lungs will expand by 50% if you surface without exhalation. But your symptoms do not correlate with that.
yeah, what do you think happened? i've been racking my brain about it

Ok a little more information
OP is a friend we started talking after she first signed up for classes.
I was the before mentioned dive buddy and instructor who told her she was well on her way to tech, I also have been telling her to slow down.
She was staying in my spare room and came to do her first real dive. I choose the site based on easy entry and lots of wildlife even when shallow. She rented the gear she needed and we headed to the site. Air temp was close to 100 with humidity to boot.
The only issues were depending in which she simply wasn't used to the BC and was not fully deflating it (easily and quickly solved).

The dive itself was fine her trim and bouyancy control both excellent. Ascent rate was fine and not at all rapid.

On the way out she fell, I asked if she was OK and she said yes laughing (as she mentioned) so I didn't think anything of it. Next morning she said she was tired, again nothing surprising to either of us as the excitement of first dive, sleeping in a strange place and high heat the previous day all can cause this, plus I leave at 530 in the morning.

The rest you know.

As for @kay_ann you started this thread to point out your mistake of not reporting it immediately so others can learn from it and I commend you for that.

Hopefully DAN can point you to good doctors for full recovery and or use this to prevent it from happening.
it was super pretty out that morning though thankfully. only like 75 degrees
i was perfectly comfy on the surface with my 7mm wetsuit

Back
Top Bottom