if you're sick after a dive, take it seriously

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey, i don't know if it belongs here but figured i'd tell this story to warn other divers not to just brush off weird symptoms after a dive. i'll get a ton of crap for it, but i already have so it's nothing new.

around the end of July, i did a 13 foot dive for 21 minutes. probably the most benign dive ever. no extreme exertion, it wasn't cold. you really can't mess that one up, or so i thought. well, dive buddy and i got back to the shore, took our fins off and put them on the little raft/buoy. bent down a little to help pick it up and my legs gave out. laughed, got back up, and couldn't lift that stupid buoy. i dropped it twice and just went back to the bench. balance problems and leg/arm weakness didn't change when taking off the gear and wetsuit. could barely get into the truck later that day, i thought it was funny...yeah no. i had brain fog and didn't have an interest in anything. attributed all of this to being tired/dehydrated. it didn't go away, and that night going to bed i felt pretty shaky. for some reason it was hard to pee. again, figured i was just super tired.

no i didn't tell anyone. yeah it's stupid but alarm bells weren't going to go off in my head after 13 feet. that's also stupid.

next morning i was kind of stumbling around and my friend asked if i was ok. i said yeah. went to another friend's house then drove home, where i felt decently better. a few online friends ripped me a couple new ones for not calling DAN after i told them about it.

leg weakness lasted a few days, arm weakness and balance never went back to normal. it was highly recommended to me that i see a dive physician. okay, cool, so i made the trip out to Philadelphia on Thursday. i told them what all happened, and the doctor asked how important diving was to me. yeah, that's not something you really wanna hear at the doctor's office. they did a few basic neurological tests, where i bombed the balance ones. and they did tests where they had this thing with a sharp end and dull end. on my hands i couldn't really tell the difference. it was like if you pressed a butter knife into your hand- sharp and dull. anyway, since it's been like a month, they don't know if my balance and all that will go back to normal.

the reason i have residual effects is-you guessed it-i never got treatment. if i had, i wouldn't have these problems, and may have been able to dive again. i won't ever dive again though. it was a gas embolism, we think, and there wasn't any big reason for it to happen. so i can't prevent it from happening again, as we don't know why. it's possible there's blebs in my lungs (will get a CT scan) and that's basically a no-no for diving.

i never called anyone because i didn't want to bother anyone, sound stupid, or waste their time. it cost me a future life of diving. so please if you're feeling off and it doesn't go away or it sounds serious, let someone know. there was a feeling in the pit of my stomach the whole time but i ignored it. please don't ignore it. my balance used to be perfect (was in gymnastics before) and now i stumble around and fall into my door getting up in the morning. if i swallowed my pride, everything would've been fine. i'm 20 years old, in good health and decent shape. didn't think anything would happen to me, well now i may have permanent nerve damage and can't dive again.

basically, don't do what i did and please get help if something's wrong. you could even just call the DAN non-emergent line (but you should call the emergency one) if you're really nervous about potentially bothering someone (you're not).

Kay-lee..... So sorry that this happened to you........but so proud and happy that you are brave enough to tell your story... This story undoubtedly "rings the bell" for me and hopefully for others.

I know we haven't interacted here much but I found your pluck and enthusiasm engaging, so have followed your story.

I'm sitting here, just stunned. Very sorry for your current difficulties and the potential loss of what is clearly a strongly desired vocation/avocation. I hear you beating yourself up, but given the totality of the circumstances, unless you held your breath on ascent, an embolism would be down the list for me compared to tired and dehydrated too.

When I was young, I remember being "indestructible." My people would tell you that learning has long lagged behind consequences. You may have been taught hard and fast here, I sincerely hope that it proves to be just a speedbump!

I see you are now on the right end of the state; I assume from your other thread for school. Should you need something from a local, don't hesitate to ask.

Sorry to hear. That is sad news.

I know we haven't interacted here much but I found your pluck and enthusiasm engaging, so have followed your story.

I'm sitting here, just stunned. Very sorry for your current difficulties and the potential loss of what is clearly a strongly desired vocation/avocation. I hear you beating yourself up, but given the totality of the circumstances, unless you held your breath on ascent, an embolism would be down the list for me compared to tired and dehydrated too.

When I was young, I remember being "indestructible." My people would tell you that learning has long lagged behind consequences. You may have been taught hard and fast here, I sincerely hope that it proves to be just a speedbump!

I see you are now on the right end of the state; I assume from your other thread for school. Should you need something from a local, don't hesitate to ask.
haven't yet moved there but i'm in the Philly area more often than am home. at least a couple times a month.
my first thought was oh this sounds like the bends or something like that but reminded myself it was shallow. i have a tendency to be a worrywart. i didn't worry enough now, lol.

Kay-lee..... So sorry that this happened to you........but so proud and happy that you are brave enough to tell your story... This story undoubtedly "rings the bell" for me and hopefully for others.
thanks. i just don't want someone else to go through it too. i was going to go tech and my instructor friend even said i was on a great track for it. not anymore.

Back
Top Bottom