If you were designing a new dive bag...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should not look like a dive bag and be saying "steal me" at the airport.

It should have both rollers and a set of pack straps - or better yet one of those hoverpad thingies from "Back to the future".

ScottZeagle:
what would you want?

I am very curious about what divers want and expect out of a dive bag - care to share your thoughts and wishes??

Fire away!!!

Scott

Scott

A hard box with a good lock that only weighs 10 pounds or less.

Color blue or Grey so you can write on it with a marker.

Sorry, Our team does not use soft bags.

Curt Bowen

First of all, I assume your question is regarding the "carry all" bag since there are already a lot of companies making your standard mesh or duffel type carry bag.

The best dive bags I have seen are from XS Scuba and Stahlsac. Maybe even Armor Bags.

When in doubt, copy the competition.

There are two ways of thinking for luggage in general. First is to buy the cheapest bags possible (Walmart, Costco) and then use them until they break. The other is buy a good quality bag that will last a long time.

I am in the "quality bag" group, having Tumi and Andiamo luggage for business travel, but have bought a lot of cheapo bags. The difference that sets really good bags apart from cheap bags? Quality wheels, handles, zippers, and of course, tougher fabrics and materials.

What divers want to see in a bag? How about a collapsible roller backpack? One that you can take on the dive boat without getting yelled at for, or a bag with integrated mesh bag. You pull out the mesh bag with dive gear inside, then fold down the sides into a compact package to stuff under your dive station (tank holder).

Divers need stuff that won't rust out. Plastic zippers, lockable compartments. Another thing to watch out for is if the bag can stand up. When fully loaded, most tip over, especially those with the reg bag on the front.

Can you PM me?

Mar Scuba:
First of all, I assume your question is regarding the "carry all" bag

The best dive bags I have seen are from XS Scuba and Stahlsac.

...The other is buy a good quality bag that will last a long time.

...The difference that sets really good bags apart from cheap bags? Quality wheels, handles, zippers, and of course, tougher fabrics and materials.

What divers want to see in a bag? How about a collapsible roller backpack?...

...Another thing to watch out for is if the bag can stand up. When fully loaded, most tip over, especially those with the reg bag on the front.

Some snippage, and there is only one choice for me...

BTW standing up when loaded is the deal breaker - it simply must, and why the ubiquitous Akona roller bags suck - they dont.

K

Mo2vation:
BTW standing up when loaded is the deal breaker - it simply must, and why the ubiquitous Akona roller bags suck - they dont.

Exactly!

I actually signed up as a Stahlsac dealer a long time ago but never got together an opening order.

Should have included disclaimer that I am an XS Scuba dealer and pester Mike (Product Development) with advice...

Cheers,

How about a bag that could be brought as carry on...

I have read in other posts about people that bring their entire kit on the plane. Don't know what bags they use for that, though the fin length seems like it would be the limiting dimension. Might be tough to accomodate A. Quattros in a carry on legal bag size.

I also agree with the standing while full point as an essential...

JAG

jagfish:
How about a bag that could be brought as carry on...
JAG

Afterall, those of us who travel often know there are only two kinds of luggage:

1) The kind you carry on
2) The kind you leave at home....

I need a bag that can carry all the shee-aht of a SoCal drysuit BP/W DIR diver - rolls down the dock, onto the boat, and back up the dock, into the back o' my Tundra.

That's all the travel worthiness I need. For the 6 - 10 days between dives, my gear is hung to dry for 2 of them, then stored in the bag for the rest of the time... You travel types have a whole other set of requirements.

I need wheels, a handle, volume, zippers that work, and a bag that stands when full. The rest is marketing hoopla.

K

Jim, Zeagle already offers a "carry on" type of bag. But what is essential for a travelling diver is a bag with wheels.

Hey, I had another great idea. How about a small carry on size rolling mesh bag like XS Scuba makes with a sturdy fabric cover that could be zipped off at site? The outer fabric cover would be folded up compactly. The main problem with this is that it would require a frame so that it isn't sloppy.

Main problem is with the fins. Try getting Power Fins (Jetfins) into a legal carry on size.

I hear ya, I am from Kali meself, and just went on the Spectre last month to keep in tune.

The hard part is getting up and down the ramp with all that stuff. I recall one of my dive buddies in the past had some Rubbermaid wheeled trash cans or containers that were loaded up, taken down to the boat, unloaded, and container stowed in the truck until the return home.

This time, I used my XS Scuba mesh bag and just carried my drysuit and backpack. I inheirited a large fishing tub from Dad which worked great throwing my gear into, because they don't have rinse facilities at the Spectre.

Maybe we can buddy up next time and I'll bring my DIR kit. Last time I was testing out new stuff to put out in rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom