If you were designing a new dive bag...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mar Scuba:
Maybe we can buddy up next time and I'll bring my DIR kit. Last time I was testing out new stuff to put out in rental.

For me, its about being a 1-take Jake. Dive bag, Camera bag over the shoulder, E8-130 water heater over the other shoulder. One take, truck to boat to truck. None of the shclepping up and down the ramp nonsense. I want to get on the boat, and hit the rack!

I cut all that backpack nonsense out of my Stahlsac. Like I'm gonna wear a bag with wet stuff on my back.... Thats why I hate mesh duffles... please.

K

The bag should have a hard, thick molded ABS bottom with bumpers opposite the wheels that will keep it from tipping over when standing.
I have an Akona (the ubiquitous one) that I modified with a couple of stainless steel plates and rubber furniture pads. Works like a charm now.

1) Wheels (and bearings?) that will stand up to the intended use. I can't believe that my dive bag has wheels that rusted so quickly. Did they not understand that the bag would get wet? and salty-wet to boot! The axles should have been more corrosion resistant!

2) Strong Handles.
a) I want an extending handle that pulls up and pushes down easily for years, not just the first few times. The handle needs to be strong enough to haul a 50 - 70 lb bag up stairs without bending, breaking or flexing too much.
b) I also want strong handles on the sides and ends where baggage handlers, taxi drivers and I would naturally grab the bag to throw it in the car / on the boat.

3) Strong zippers. I want zippers that won't break off. This includes when you are trying to remove zip-ties with a car key because you can't carry a knife or scissors or anything for cutting with you when you travel by plane!

4) At least one waterproof compartment or pocket for storing a few things. This could be small.

5) Ability to stand up even when fully packed (as listed by several other people - but so important that I had to reiterate the need)

6) Affordable. I guess this is "relative".

Just my thoughts, YMMV

Wristshot

A combination of the above with the strength and toughness of a well designed backpacking back pack.

Lightweight and durable materials.
Soild tough wheels that won't mar my boat (think roller blade type wheels)
Properly trimmed seams that won't migrate into zippers
Something I can take outside and hose off to clean and will dry quickly
Something that properly keeps it's shape
Hide-away back-pack straps
Strong double/safety stitched seams
Relatively inexpensive or at least competitivey priced

WELL I THINK THIS BAG IS PERFECT.
http://www.diveintoscuba.com/category.php?category_id=7

BG150 - Wheeled Mesh Duffel

I DID NOT GRAB THE BAG THERE BUT OFF EBAY.
IT IS BIG ENOUGH FOR "ALL" MY GEAR WITH ROOM TO SPARE.
IT COLLAPSES TO VERY SMALL AREA AND FITS IN MY TRAVEL HARDSIDE GEAR BAG. SO NOW NO MORE DIRTY LOOKS ON THE BOAT FOR THE HARDSIDE TRAVEL CASE. THEY SHOULD HAVE BUILT THIS LONG TIME AGO.
ALSO QUALITY IS XS SCUBA

http://www.xsscuba.com/wheeled_bags.php I have this one, but the wheels are already giving me trouble and the bolts inside are rusting..............I like that it has ventilated side pockets, towls and stuff. I also like the straps inside to secure your gear during travel. The seperate regulator bag is kewl, unzip on the plane and take it with you, else it's on the bag.

ShakaZulu:
http://www.xsscuba.com/wheeled_bags.php I have this one, but the wheels are already giving me trouble and the bolts inside are rusting..............I like that it has ventilated side pockets, towls and stuff. I also like the straps inside to secure your gear during travel. The seperate regulator bag is kewl, unzip on the plane and take it with you, else it's on the bag.

sorry to hear of the problems you discribed.
I think the mesh type bag with diffrent wheels will be perfect bag for hotel to boat gear bag.
TIME WILL TELL

I was using a carry-on sized small case with rollers and extending handle.

That was until the rollers and all metal parts become corroded from salt water exposure. Now I am looking for a replacement that will NOT rust nor corrode.

Aluminum or titanium frame construction therefore seems like it would be the best. I am not price sensitive and would be willing to pay for whatever a good unit costs, as long as it is durable over several years (preferably 10).

And like Curt said, hard walled instead of soft walled is preferred.

Carry-on size works well for me, because I can disassenble my Zeagle Tech B/C and roll it all up, and stuff it into the carry-on case, together with my regs, 20" fins, masks, snorkel, computers, booties, lights, and dive skins.

A bag big enough to hold all that, and small enough to qualify for airline carry-on, that will not rust or corrode from salt water exposure, would be perfect for me.

one that will carry itself down the stairs and across the parking lot into my truck, then proceed to put itself on the boat and reverse this order upon returning to the dock...... (I wish)

we've been through a few so far. I like the back pack style only because of a icky little shoulder injury I have, but the darn thing is took big and bulky. When I dive on a charter boat, I want to be as compact as possible. I see divers all the time with there giant bags, sure everything fits in it, but what a mess watching them get out what they need. As silly as this sounds, I find it easiest for me to put everthing in my small (no room for anything extra) duffle mesh bag, then put it into the hudge back pack meshy I have, unload it, and through the back pack back into the truck. Its more work then I'd like, but its better then icing down my shoulder after every dive..... tanks get carried one in each hand

I've always wondered why no one makes a mesh scuba bag with the separate wet pocket like triathlon bags do (maybe they do)? Ie, for you triathletes out there, I'm talking something like the DeSoto mesh bag which has a separately zipped bottom pocket that's perfectly sized for a wet wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom