If you had to choose one US dive location..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am almost up to the needed frequent flyer miles to get a free trip to ANYWHERE in the continental US.

Of course I want to use this ticket to go diving. If you could go to any place in the US (not Hawaii or Alaska), to dive where would you go AND why?

Here’s hopin’ for some good info!

Jeff

Guess it depends on your interest and experience.
If you are a relatively new diver and/or want to see lots of tropical fish and coral, then the upper keys would be my pick, Key Largo is a good choice. The diving for the most part is fairly easy, close to shore, shallow and there is a lot to see.
If you have some more experience and/or an interest in wrecks then here in North Carolina is about as good as it gets. Our wrecks tend to be a long way off shore, deep and covered in fish life. The sea conditions vary greatly and blow outs are common but there is lots to do topside if you can't dive. We do have some closer in, shallower wrecks but the vis is usually not as good.
Those would be my 2 picks.

I have dove throughout a Florida, and I really enjoy the Keys. You can do some wrecks (Spiegal, Duane, Bibb, and Busch) at reasonable depths. Then go do some relaxing dives off the reefs at shallower depths. Plus the atmosphere in the Keys is so much more relaxed. Just my 2 cents. I am sure there are a lot of other fascinating dive sites across the US.

Paul

I sincerely hope I NEVER have to choose just 1 dive location in the US!!

But for an Illinois diver (I'm an IL/MO diver, too) with a free airline ticket I would also point you to the upper keys of FL--Key Largo and Islamorada. There you've got warm water year-round, shallow reefs with plentiful life, fairly shallow to sorta deep wrecks that are very cool for photography, and a great assortment of boat charters at a very reasonable rate. Plus a relaxed atmosphere and excellent seafood to eat during surface intervals.

theskull

Florida cave country but I'd have to drive my truck like I usually do in order to get all my tanks there.

Well, I personally would choose FL because I have the CA kelp beds here year round, so that would be something different. But, if I was coming from IL, then don't forget about us here on the West Coast. I'm not sure what the cost of a ticket to FL vs. CA would be from where you are, but if it's going to be free, then pick the more expensive one and go there. While CA diving is all I've done, I've heard that it's unique from anywhere else in the world. We have our share of wrecks, if that interests you, and I think that nothing can beat the beauty of a kelp forest, so come and visit us!

Here's a thought: You can often get a round-trip with a stop-over as your "free" ticket. My family did this a few years ago (i.e., rules may change) with Cincinnati to Orlando to (4 days later) Ft. Lauderdale to (7 days later) to Cincinnati. You might be able to get 2 destinations for the "price" of one although you have to contend with the no-fly restriction twice. Definitely worth considering if you have the time.

-Rob

Florida Keys for recreational diving, March thru July.

North Carolina coast for shipwreck diving, May thru Sept.

San Diego for kelp diving, Oct thru May.

In that order of preference.

Key Largo or Marathon. The fish life is good, the coral is okay. There are some wrecks in the Keys. If the blue water is in, viz is great!

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

I would choose the Flower Gardens offshore from Texas - but mainly because in 4 times trying we've had the trip cancelled each time from weather.

From your "subject" line, I would have responded St. Croix at first, but then saw "continental US".

We'll be giving the Florida Keys a try around Labor Day - including an overnight stay at Jules Undersea Lodge www.jul.com (hey, it's my birthday, why not?). I ran across it on a bed & breakfast type lodging list for Key Largo. You can PM me mid-September for a report if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom