If you could dive anywhere in the Caribbean where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you posted this in the Caribbean section, I am guessing that is your area of interest. I would go to either Belize or Roatan for a 2 week trip..... do 3-4 days of land-based Mayan ruins tours at either place, then the rest of the time diving.

We just returned from CCV resort on Roatan and loved it, but wished we had longer and a few days to hit Copan over on the mainland. We have also been talking about a nice 2week trip to Belize for the same type of thing - the mainland is covered with Mayan ruins, jungle tours, zipline trips, tubing thru caves, etc., but the best diving is the Belize outer atolls. So either one of those places appeal to me for a 2 week trip in Caribbean. Another option would be a week on Cozumel diving, then a week on the mainland doing the cenotes and touring the Mayan ruins there a few days.

We have also discussed a 2 week trip to Hawaii - a week on Maui diving or on the Kona Aggressor diving, then a week doing some land-based stuff. Hawaii isn't a cheap place to visit though so it has kept this on our "someday" list.

robin:D
I was in Roatan last summer at Fantasy Island and really enjoyed the diving. You can't go wrong with either spot. Just pick one and next summer go to the other one. Worst thing about anywhere is ending up at a bad resort or using a poor dive shop. For that ScubaBoard ought to have a spot to list places we would not want someone to stay at. kelly

I'm looking for the same thing. Going in early July. looking for great diving and some nice beaches......... I was thinking Grenada, St, Vincent or BVI"s

So many pros and cons to consider. I'll tell you where I've been and what I think (in order and why):

1. Cozumel -- dived with Sand Dollar. Best viz, great wall drift diving and good reefs. Also, good freshwater diving (cenotes). Could split time between the Yucatan and Belize and get in a two-fer (I have not dived Belize, but heard great things). Good topside activities as well. Downside is current crime wave in Mexico -- be careful, and I also understand that the tourism population is pushing it's sanitation limits. No recommendations on places to stay, but there have been some rocking deals lately. Have not been there for several years, but it is on the list for a re-visit.

2. Bonaire -- very dive-centric island and the shore diving builds confidence. A lot of great diving with good deals to be found. Klein Bonaire was one of my top dives. We stayed at the Belmar at one of the 2nd floor end units and it was the best place I've stayed on a dive trip to date. Was there last year. Food is very expensive -- plan on $40/person/day if you don't have an all-inclusive. This is regardless of whether you go to the grocery store or just eat out. Good restaurants to be found, flamingos and donkeys roam the island. Salt pier was a great dive and worth the price (must go guided). You can find great deals -- we split a two-floor, three bedroom condo five ways and it was $683/each for the week including a rental truck (double cab with room for air tanks in the back), unlimited air, and a few extras. Dives are mostly self-guided, but it's easy to do. You can get the lay of the dive-site from your hotel divemaster prior to going out. There is usually one or two groups either entering or leaving any site, but we hardly ran into others while diving. The spacing works well.

3. Utila/Roatan -- while Roatan is easier to reach, I prefer Utila because I it's less touristy and I like the vibe. Really reasonable diving (maybe the best value on the planet) and accommodations and excellent diving. Laid back, decent restaurants and bars, although fewer than the places mentioned above. We liked Utila College of Diving -- if you can find John Fraser on the island, he's been dive-mastering Utila for many years and we think he's the best. We like Colibri (although I understand that it's just changed hands) and Mango Inn (although it can be loud around the pool and isn't as good as it was before they added the pool). RJ's BBQ is not to be missed. Was last there about 2 years ago. I understand that Guanaja (sister island) is worth the visit for diving and is on our list for a visit -- relatively untouched and some of the locals have said they prefer it for diving.

4. Dominica -- very poor economically topside, but the diving is amazing with a very health reef. Volcanic, underwater "hot spots", champagne like bubbles, "swiss cheese" swim-throughs. Cool hiking, river/cave? tubing, and other outdoor activities. Not sure about night-life or crime. Caradonna has had some great deals at the Fort Young Hotel, which looks to be the nicest hotel on the island and had a nice pool, hot tubs and security, right off the cruise pier. I scouted it last month. Can be difficult to get there, but you can get 7 nites with diving for around $1080, plus flight (which can be 500+). We dived with Nature Island Divers and was pleased with the service and the divemaster. I understand that there are several other good, professional outfits on the island.

Other Caribbean places I liked:

St. Croix, USVI -- Cane Bay shore diving was good, and topside is fun. Some drug-related crime lately, but because it's the USA, it feels familiar. Except you drive on the left.

St. Kitts -- viz wasn't good when I was there, but the diving was still good. Could combine with sister island (can't remember the name, but I do recall hearing that there's good diving there). I believe it was ProDivers we went with -- best boat and cleanest equipment of any outfit we've dived with.

St. Lucia -- there is a ferry between St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica and Guadaloupe, but the schedule is not daily. Could do a Dominica/St. Lucia combo, with a stop in Martinique overnight. Dived with Frog's Divers and was pleased with our divemaster -- young but very attentive divemaster.

Didn't like:
Costa Rica -- poor viz, not that interesting (northern Pacific coast), Guancaste region north of Liberia. However, it's an excellent trip for a "regular" vacation -- lots of ecosystems from beach to rain forest with volcanos -- in a small space. More variety of birds than I've seen anywhere. Cool volcanic-heated pools near Lake Arenal are worth the visit (I think it was called Tabecon??). Worth the trip, just not for scuba diving. I heard it was better in the south.

If you are thinking of Hawaii, you can't go wrong. Amazing snorkeling and good scuba. Lots of turtles, nice reefs. Gorgeous, lots of topside activities. Yep, it's expensive. Try renting a house through vrbo.com and going as a group -- we found a large six bedroom, three bath with private pool two blocks off Kailua Beach for $2300 for 6 days that we split with 12 people and made it reasonable. You can also find flight/hotel combo deals on-line that can be really great deals (it can be done -- you just need to be flexible with time and a little creative!!!)

Bahamas may be a possibility: I also just saw a live-aboard in the Bahamas (blackbeards?) for $899/person including diving, which looked like fun, but I don't have any specific reviews for you here -- maybe someone else knows something. One of our dive buddies went with Stewart's Cove a few years back and has been trying to get us to go with him ever since. Great shark diving, movie sets (James Bond??), he said good restaurants and an interesting bus ride into town that was an adventure in people-watching from Stewart's Cove.

That's all I can remember. I hope that helped. Best of luck on your dive trip! Let us know what you decided on and how it went!

Last edited:
I go to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic every year. I stay at the Iberostar Punta Cana Hotel - Iberostar Punta Cana - Punta Cana . The hotel is incredible. 5 star 24 hour all inclusive! They have 5 restaraunts and numerous buffets. You can find a buffet at anytime of day with whatever you want. All meals drinks and tips are included. They have a Dressel Divers dive shop right on the property with over a dozen dive sites and a boat that leaves right from the beach Dive in Dominican Republic with Dressel Divers . There is a nice wreck just a few hundred yards from the shore. You can actually see alot of it above water from the beach. There is great snorkeling right in front of the hotel in their roped off swimming area with lots of coral and fish. There are lots of small caves they take you through and lots of fish. If you want to do alot of diving they offer packages:

"THE SHRIMP PACKAGE:
You buy 5 dives and DRESSEL DIVERS CLUB offers you 1 dive free.
In total 6 dives. PRICE USD 300.- >> 255 USD if you pay before arrival
An additional dive costs 50 USD, or 42.50 USD if you pay before arrival
THE DOLPHIN PACKAGE:
You buy 9 dives and DRESSEL DIVERS offers you 3 dives free.
In total 12 dives. PRICE USD 540.- >> 459 USD if you pay before arrival
An additional dive costs 45 USD, or 38.25 USD if you pay before arrival
THE WHALE PACKAGE:
You buy 12 dives and DRESSEL DIVERS offers you 6 dives free.
In total 18 dives. PRICE USD 720.- >> 612 USD if you pay before arrival
An additional dive costs 40 USD, or 34 USD if you pay before arrival
THE FAMILY PACKAGE:
You buy 10 dives and DRESSEL DIVERS offers you 2 dives free.
In total 12 dives. PRICE USD 600.- >> 510 USD if you pay before arrival
An additional dive costs 50 USD, or 42.50 USD if you pay before arrival

>>>> This is the only package where different divers can use dives from the same package;
the other packages are STRICTLY PERSONAL.
THE GO R ILLA PACKAGE:
For the diver who wants to see it all, Dressel Divers designed a package that covers ALL of the BEST DIVING IN THE DOMINICAN R EPUBLIC . Dive the beautifull "A R MST R ON" wreck with its impressive propeller, the fantastic reefs at Saona, a spectacular wall and an aquarium of tropical fish at Catalina, and the thrill of a night-dive at Bayahibe.This GO R ILLA PACKAGE offers you ALL OF IT!
Duration: minimum 5 Days.
Price: 650 US $ or 552.50 USD if you pay before arrival.

Includes:
1 Excursion to Saona with 2 dives as described.
1 Excursion to Catalina with 2 dives as described.
1 Excursion to Bayahibe with 1 afternoon dive and 1 NIGHT DIVE with the use of an underwater lamp + glow-stick.
5 Dives leaving from the hotel by boat."

If anyone wants any more info just ask.

Punta Cana Dominican Republic with Dressel divers ? Haven't heard much about the diving there.

My favorite Caribbean diving was Belize on a liveaboard.

If you have two weeks you could spend a week in Saba and a week in St. Martin, where you can dive and also have great food (French Side). You have to go to St. Martin to get to Saba anyway.

Isla de Providencia, Colombia

The island is a paradise. Crystal clear water, white beaches, friendly locals. The island is very unknown but once you ve been there you will want to stay. Believe me, I know because I felt that way.

check out :D www.siriushotel.net

They describe how to get there, dive conditions, dive sites....

hope to return to the caribbean soon....

mac

I always look at things from a photography point of view.

Bonaire & Curacao for the ease of diving at your own schedule. You really get to explore and take your time shooting. If you find something you like you can go back to it as much as you want. Macro, macro, macro.

Cozumel for the walls & great drift diving. The diving is great, but the currents can make it hard to shoot some times. You can pretty much forget macro shooting for the most part.

Little Cayman for the walls & wide angle shooting. Though, there is some great macro to do there.

St. Vincent for the macro. There are a lot of unusual critters there. When I went I saw 13 different frog fish in 10 days of diving. I list count of the number of seahorses. The black volcanic bottom makes a great back drop for shooting.

Bahamas for sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom