If you could dive anywhere in the Caribbean where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belize is awesome, you can get private liveaboards or the cattle sheds, your choice, walls, whale sharks, blue and black holes, the chance to see some big stuff....

Don't just concentrate on the north of the country, the south has some great diving without the divers (and boats) you see up in Caye Caulker and San Pedro. Check Thatch Caye near Dangriga - they have their own liveaboard and are only 10 minutes away from the wall.

Easy answer. Three places are the best, and in this order. Bonaire. Little Cayman. Roatan. All are fantastice, but Bonaire is the top of the heap. World's easiest diving. Some of the most beautiful reefs, etc. And reasonably priced. Check out Scuba Magazine's Jan 09 issue. It has a survey on dive sites around the world, and Bonaire ranked at the top in almost every category. As to Little Cayman, the walls will blow you away! When on Roatan, dive with the dolphins. Also on your lay day do the canopy tour. Wild ride!

Belize would be my choice and was. I moved here because it's such an awesome little country. As others above have mentioned there's lots of ancient history here in the way of Mayan ruins, ceremonial caves littered with artifacts. Lots of jungle and caving available. Belize is the home of the only Jaguar Preserve in the world, and over 40% of Belize is designated protected areas.

Diving is amazing and so plentiful. You couldn't even scratch the surface if you stayed and dived for a month. The best of the diving is at the atolls and the southern barrier reef. If you're looking for a main land base where you can enjoy great diving and see the jungle and ruins, you should plan to stay in Placencia. Placencia Village is at the end of a 20-mile long peninsula that is edged by white sand beach all along the side facing the Caribbean Sea. There's lots of restaurants, guest houses, cabanas and hotels. It's not nearly as crowded and closed in as Ambergis Caye. You and your family would love it!

I'd fly to St Martin and take the Carribbean Explorer liveaboard that departs Sundays and goes to Saba. I did it several years ago. The boat stopped at several islands, diving was above average for Caribbean standards.

Like Gwen said, I'd make it Belize. In southern Belize the Whale Shark full moon period in Mar is the 8th to 17th. Not sure if your dates will coincide with those. Southern barrier reef diving is the best diving in Belize, rivalled only by some sites on Turneffe and Lighthouse atolls. There are dive operators in the south that routinely do Glovers atoll as well as some awesome wall dives on the barrier reef. Ambergis Caye does not offer the best diving in Belize. They are a little closer to the Lighthouse and Turneffe atolls than locations in southern Belize, but operators down in Placencia and Hopkins are also making those trips. For the all around best diving opportunities, I'd stay in southern Belize in either Placencia or Hopkins. There are other places on the cayes down there as well, but those mainland bases are best if you also want to enjoy land excursions.

I'd give Dominica a look. If you like explosive, unspoiled natured, this is it. There's tons of great diving, and endless rainforests, waterfalls, hiking, volcanic lakes, etc. to be done on the surface as well. You can split time between a dive resort on the water, and an eco-lodge type place inland as you explore the rest of the island.

I have never been to any of the places mentioned above but have recently returned from my first ever trip to the Caribbean. We went to Grenada. I have to say we very much enjoyed it. We saw lots of eagle rays and sting rays, also nurse sharks and barracuda including the biggest barracuda I have ever seen! Shoals of fish that I have never seen before, eg creole wrasse, and plenty I have seen before - trunk fish, scribbled file fish, grunt, moray,bur fish, goat fish etcetc Also lobsters, shrimps, crabs and so on.

One side of the island you dive in the Caribbean and the other side is the Atlantic. There are a couple of nice wrecks to add to the interest.

We dived with Native Spirit Scuba and really liked them all.

Alison :D

I've dove Roatan, Cozumel, San Andres, old Providence island, St Lucia, bonaire, Curacao, Turks & Caicos

Ainse Chastinet in St lucia is a gorgeous place to visit, but has become so freaking expensive + there is lot's to do topside. Mineral baths, climbing the Pitons, drive in volcanos, botanical gardens. Diving is good.

I liked Dominica as well except it seemed very poor to me. Little infrastructure, reminded me of Roatan a bit when you get away from the resort. Saba or Bonaire are the safest bets. I've been to both multiple times. Taking a group to Bonaire this year as a matter of fact. Saba has a great rain forest and a lot of well marked hiking. Great diving with guaranteed shark sightings on the pinnacles, very friendly, clean and unspoiled. Bonaire has very accessible diving, the town and salt piers for night dives and you can wind surf or go caving. Both have very nice diving, nothing really big on Bonaire unless you do the windward side. Cruise ships do visit Bonaire so be aware of that. Nothing kills a day in paradise then some over stuffed parents screaming at their kid to get back to the boat because it's too hot. But pick either one and you wont go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom