If I could buy only one piece of gear, what should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask, fins, boots. Around here you have to buy these and cannot be rented.

Next would be computer.
You can’t rent fins? Why WOULDN‘T they rent fins? They last forever and require no maintenance. I’ve never seen a shop that rents gear that doesn’t do fins.

Mask, Boots/Fins, then Computer and Exposure Protection, then everything else. Why rent fins when they are relatively inexpensive gear compared to everything else and are not that hard to strap to the outside of a backpack for public transit travel.

You can’t rent fins? Why WOULDN‘T they rent fins? They last forever and require no maintenance. I’ve never seen a shop that rents gear that doesn’t do fins.

Not here

MASK!
Assuming you can rent everything else, and you're only going to buy one piece of equipment, then, like others, I'd make it a mask that's fits your face well.
Next on the list would be a computer.

Mask, Snorkel, fins (booties if needed). That gives you our most personalized items and allows you to just have fun in the water should you choose not to scuba dive. Toss it all in a nice mesh bag and you are good to go!

Having you own fins guaranties comfort, fit and function. Not to mention the LAST thing I would want to rent is a snorkel*.

*and I get it, most of us dont use a snorkel when scuba diving, but it is nice to have.

I sometimes travel light and do 1-2 dives in a tourist destination. Then I carry my mask and shearwater. Everything else thrown into me I think I can handle. I have experienced a couple of regulators that were not up to it and after complaining another equally bad set was offered from the operator.
But carrying regs is a significant weight increase.
Thus mask and computer.
For tech diving I would be very careful with renting anything. That usually means only gas cylinders.

Recently became Rescue Certified, with a goal of master diver. I live in South Korea, and water temperature and clarity can vary seasonally. Currently I do about 10 dives a year, but ideally I woild like to go one weekend every two months or so.

Can you define diving very infrequently and what are your long term goals? That will define the rest of that list

Recently became Rescue Certified, with a goal of master diver. I live in South Korea, and water temperature and clarity can vary seasonally. Currently I do about 10 dives a year, but ideally I woild like to go one weekend every two months or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom