Ideal Time to avoid Norte and other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loudives:
In Coz they bring the bottles to the plane. Once in the US you go to customs and you have to pack it. After leaving customs you are no longer on the inside of security so the liquids are a no no. I have had a connection on Continental in Houston, AA in Dallas, United in Denver and Delta in Atlanta, all since the this started and in every case you must pack it after customs. ( or drink it)

PS cheapest liquor store I found was on 30th and 2nd. maybe Christi knows of a cheaper one.

ACtually, you are still in the secured area unless you go out the second set of doors at IAH after clearing customs which is where all the non-travelers are waiting for their friends and family. But I can see why they would want thr liquids to go in the checked bags at that point and it's easy enough to do provided that you have space in your suitcase :)

The Liquor store Lou refers to that has the good prices is correct. It's called COVI.

Christi:
ACtually, you are still in the secured area unless you go out the second set of doors at IAH after clearing customs which is where all the non-travelers are waiting for their friends and family. But I can see why they would want thr liquids to go in the checked bags at that point and it's easy enough to do provided that you have space in your suitcase :)

The Liquor store Lou refers to that has the good prices is correct. It's called COVI.

In Houston, I believe that once you go out the doors from Customs to the room where you recheck your bags, you are out of the secure area, or at least a level down from that needed to access the gates. You have to go out into a lobby area and then back through a security checkpoint that is just like the ones you have to go through if you were coming in from the street. I would assume the same liquids regulations to be in effect at that checkpoint as any other, but I didn't test it last time I went through it.

That COVI liquor store - is it the one just north of what used to be the only Pemex station on the island?

BTW, the US gov't has regulations which restrict how many bottles of booze you can bring back, but they may be superceded by the laws of the state through which you are entering the US, irrespective of your final destination. The last I checked, the US law was two bottles, but the Texas law was just one.

ggunn:
In Houston, I believe that once you go out the doors from Customs to the room where you recheck your bags, you are out of the secure area, or at least a level down from that needed to access the gates. You have to go out into a lobby area and then back through a security checkpoint that is just like the ones you have to go through if you were coming in from the street. I would assume the same liquids regulations to be in effect at that checkpoint as any other, but I didn't test it last time I went through it.

I know the area you are talking about, but it's still the secured area. No one can enter that area from the outside. As I said, you still have to go through the metal detector and bags are sent through x-ray again...but it's not the same as going through the whole screening process again.

Once you claim your bags, give the customs agent your form you exit through duble/quadruple doors into the connecting flight area, where only passengers who are exiting customs have access to. You can either exit out the next set of doors for ground transportation or you can check your bags and go through security again.

As several have stated, they do make you pack liquids purchased at duty free at that point.

Christi:
I know the area you are talking about, but it's still the secured area. No one can enter that area from the outside. As I said, you still have to go through the metal detector and bags are sent through x-ray again...but it's not the same as going through the whole screening process again.

Once you claim your bags, give the customs agent your form you exit through duble/quadruple doors into the connecting flight area, where only passengers who are exiting customs have access to. You can either exit out the next set of doors for ground transportation or you can check your bags and go through security again.

As several have stated, they do make you pack liquids purchased at duty free at that point.

Yeah, I think that it is those doors to ground transportation that make it insecure. The metal detection/screening area is the same as any other I have gone through to get to the planes.

So we booked our second trip to coz, next april 07- the ,last trip was around 3 years ago, been busy with haw,grand cay, tahit, cabo,ambergris.......etc
We are gonna splurge with a weeks stay at the cozumel palace all inclusive, diving too!

anyone stayed there or dove with their house shop?
could use any tips or suggestions...
thanks in advance

Very few airports in the US don't require you to go through security again after Customs, even if you've never been out of a secured area. If you have to go through security, even though you purchased duty free and have a receipt, your alcohol is subject to confiscation. Some airports may not enforce that as stringently as others (how many of us have heard of one airport allowing one item where the same item is confiscated another place?), but I'd not risk it.

Repack your liquids into checked baggage before rechecking your luggage after entry to the US. Only way to be safe.

corybaby:
So we booked our second trip to coz, next april 07- the ,last trip was around 3 years ago, been busy with haw,grand cay, tahit, cabo,ambergris.......etc
We are gonna splurge with a weeks stay at the cozumel palace all inclusive, diving too!

anyone stayed there or dove with their house shop?
could use any tips or suggestions...
thanks in advance
Was in Coz dec 2-9 2006 only lost one dive that week because the harbour master closed down the harbour mind you the waves on the south end were minimal did manage 19 dives that week!!!!! It was great saw nurse sharks every day and turtles mind you the reef is starting to come back but still a long way to go from where it is. The best deal for diving was with dressel divers we bought the whale package best price all around and free nitrox. The DM's and Instructors were great I would definately go back!!! BTW if you lose a dive from your package you are credited the dive for a return trip or call their head office for your money back. I wouldn't dive with any other outfit as for the cattle boats we only had a full boat on one of the afternoon dives. also you can pick which times you would like to dive.

so does that mean youve been to the palace resort cozumel? how did you like it?
isnt the house shop aqua safari?....thanks

corybaby:
so does that mean youve been to the palace resort cozumel? how did you like it?
isnt the house shop aqua safari?....thanks

I'm not sure who you are addressing, but I'll answer part of your question.

Cozumel Palace is by far the nicest hotel on the island aside from the Presidente. I've had several people stay there over the past several months and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the service, the food, and the rooms. It really is a gorgeous hotel.

The onsite dive shop is Aqua Safari, but any dive operation of your choice can pick you up at the hotel pier. You are not obligated to use the onsite shop, although they are a safe, solid, highly respected operation.

Christi:
The third dive is at Paradise, Las Palmas, or Villa Blanca.

Actually, our 3rd dive of the day when diving with DWM was NOT at one of these 3 reefs listed above. I checked my log book. We went to Cedral Pass, Dalila, Santa Rosa Shallows, and Punta Tunich for our 3rd dives over 4 days. That's why we switched from our old cattle dive op that only took us to the 3 listed above in the quote over and over... I think any dive in Cozumel is great, but why repeat the same ones over and over when there are so many more to explore and enjoy??.....Hence, we changed dive ops to use DWM and are so pleased we did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom