iantd advanced nitrox vs. tdi advanced nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing for sure: Tom Mount, Brett Gilliam, George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski (not to mention Terrence Tysall and a plethora of others) have all done more and more physically/mentally demanding dives than most of us will do in several lifetimes.

Personally, I don't much care from whom I learn as long as
I am continually learning.

What I truly love about this scubaboard is that there is so much talent on it, and great feedback on every issue under the sun.

OK, I stand corrected on IANTD Advanced Nitrox: you only get certified to EAN50 apparently, rather than all the way to 100% O2.

Now, my additional comments.

CCR ... what a way to die! I personally stay away from CCRs.

GUE ... hmmm ... now this deserves some further comment and thought as well.

Diving with the GUE crowd is like going to a nudist beach but with a swimsuit on. If you don't dive their way, then its the highway. No flexibility.

Also, if you are not a young robust diver, its the highway. They don't teach older or flabbier folks.

Also, GUE gear is called "halcyon." You will have to re-gear in halcyon stuff. That is not necessarily bad, as long as you have not already bought everything. Their gear is fine, and for some applications their gear is superb. Point being, you will have to throw away most of your 'old' gear.

Now, onto the subject of GUE egos. I have no problem with GUE graduates diving their own way. I have no problem with GUE grads thinking they are the best trained divers. However it does piss me off immensely to hear then SAY IT.

All I can say to that is: hey, buddy, lets step outside and settle this once and for all just between you and me! :)

(Whenever I have said this in the past, all of them have run away.)

I myself have tremendous respect for the tech programs of NAUI, IANTD, TDI, GUE, etc. Which is better depends completely on the individual diver that they graduate, on a case by case basis.

All I can say to that is: hey, buddy, lets step outside and settle this once and for all just between you and me!

(Whenever I have said this in the past, all of them have run away.)
You are asking the wrong ones... Stop asking all the tiny ones.

ive dove with alot of DIR guys and not all their gear is Halcyon

one of them lent me his single tank rig:
the blackplate and regs are Dive Rite
the wing is Halcyon

Dive Rite's Classic Wing is ok with DIR
they basically dont dig bungee on the wing

they use Dive Rite lift bags as well

the DIR insistance on conformity is basically to ensure that everybody on the team is on the same page

it may be overkill in some situations but it insures good disipline

i have no problem diving DIR when in a DIR team

my main problem is that they expect me to follow the style even when diving with non-dir divers
if i dive with a team that wants to dive ean36 to 80' for 40 min using al 100s then i become a leper and banished?
thats the part that makes it seem cultish

mannydib once bubbled...
i have no problem diving DIR when in a DIR team

my main problem is that they expect me to follow the style even when diving with non-dir divers
if i dive with a team that wants to dive ean36 to 80' for 40 min using al 100s then i become a leper and banished?
thats the part that makes it seem cultish

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
Also, GUE gear is called "halcyon." You will have to re-gear in halcyon stuff. That is not necessarily bad, as long as you have not already bought everything. Their gear is fine, and for some applications their gear is superb. Point being, you will have to throw away most of your 'old' gear.

This entire paragraph is 100% complete BUNK!

You seem to have some real "issues" around GUE and dive philosphies, but if you are going to make comments, at least get your facts straight.

GUE courses are open to gear made by ANY manufacturer as long as they meet the requirements (which have been posted on this board dozens of times and are available on the GUE website).

1.) BP/Wings - no bungied wings (Dive-Rite, Koplin, OMS, OxyCheq, Fred-T, etc. all make products which work).
2.) Long-hose/bungied back-up regulator set-up.
3.) No split fins.

So...out of the three main requirements...Halcyon doesn't even make two of the products (regs/fins) and the first requirement is covered-off by numerous other companies.

Nice try but no dice.

Manny, the idea is that diving with other DIR divers goes a long way for peace of mind. That is because we have all been trained the same way, our gear is identical, and we provide predictable responses to issues that might arise. In this way, DIR divers make a cohesive team. In any DIR class, you learn that situational awareness and teamwork is paramount. This isn't meant to be a knock on anyone, but the fact is, diving with non-DIR divers tends to be more stressful and less safe.

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
Manny, the idea is that diving with other DIR divers goes a long way for peace of mind. That is because we have all been trained the same way, our gear is identical, and we provide predictable responses to issues that might arise. In this way, DIR divers make a cohesive team. In any DIR class, you learn that situational awareness and teamwork is paramount. This isn't meant to be a knock on anyone, but the fact is, diving with non-DIR divers tends to be more stressful and less safe.

This isn't meant to be a knock on anyone (he says, very casually)....BUT OF COURSE IT IS...on anyone who is not "blessed" with the stamp of being holy and DIR!

How does a cultist feel when I say: "This isn't meant to be a knock on anyone, but the fact is that diving with DIR divers tends to be more stressful and less safe because their robotic training keeps them from using their heads and any common sense that they might have. Besides, their antiquated equipment configuration, Amish Diving Society fear of computers, and wave-of-the-hand casual disregard for proper decompression procedures makes them candidates for the hyperbaric chamber, if not the looney bin!

The previous comment is not meant to be a knock on anyone, OF COURSE!!!!:livid:

"big jet said"

Amish Diving Society fear of computers,

I didn't know the Amish had divers?

how do they get those hats under thier hoods?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom