I wonder how deep this is and what it contains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be first then. 18' 6". Mud bottom. Stone lined.

I think I should clarify that I'm guessing the depth of the well/cistrern pictured in GM's original post. In NO WAY am I guessing the depth or breath of "GM's hole."

Paul

paulthenurse:
In NO WAY am I guessing the depth or breath of "GM's hole."

that's, ah, "GM's Entrapment and Entanglement Orifice"

Just a thought...but how thick do you think that ice is on the surface. Can you bore a hole in it for a ice dive. Would this be a safer dive in the winter when the top surface of the ground is frozen. It is that part of the rock walls that I would be concerned about caving in. It would seem they are the strongest when frozen in place in the winter. By the time the ice melts in the spring, much of the top ground layer will be quite soft. You obviously would need to be trained in ice diving and have cold weather gear.

H2Andy:
that's, ah, "GM's Entrapment and Entanglement Orifice"

I'm not guessing how deep that is, either!!!

Of course, I've got nothing else to do. I'm stuck in Charlotte NC. I left Ft Lauderdale at noon and Its 9pm and my plane is taking the long route here from East Bumblast. I'm wearing shorts and sandals cause I'm a moron.

I'll guess that the icey hole is considerably deeper than GM's E & E Orifice.

PTN

I'm going to post a few pics of our trip to pass the time.

Seprate thread. Don't want to hijack or be too closely associated with this one.:wink:

Paul

PARADISE HUNTER:
Just a thought...but how thick do you think that ice is on the surface. Can you bore a hole in it for a ice dive. Would this be a safer dive in the winter when the top surface of the ground is frozen. It is that part of the rock walls that I would be concerned about caving in. It would seem they are the strongest when frozen in place in the winter. By the time the ice melts in the spring, much of the top ground layer will be quite soft. You obviously would need to be trained in ice diving and have cold weather gear.

"Trained" in ice diving? Not I. Though I've dove under ice.

My first task is to find whatever information I can about that cistern.

Im willin to bet that it's shallow, and although there prolly is "stuff" on the bottom, you will never actually FIND the bottom. Being in the woods like that for what is more than likely a very long time, all the organic material and wash off that has gone in there for all those years has probably filled in most of it. Still, it's a cool spot worth lookin at in the spring!

GM,

You definitely have to keep us posted on this. I'm very interested in hearing any info you may find out about it before diving it. And I'm VERY interested in hearing details if and when you dive it.

I always wonder what is below whenever I drive by a river/lake/pond....you've taken it to a new level!

Get the handheld sonar unit from Norcross Marine and it will supposedly shoot through ice to tell you the depth.

I guess 24 feet.

I'm going to have to go with a good 3 feet below the ice, and sticks and mud covering the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom