I wonder how deep this is and what it contains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
When the ice melts I'll find out how deep, if "it goes" I'll do what I can to determine what it contains (which is probably a lot of junk)

cistern distance.JPG

cistern close.JPG

Green_Manelishi:
When the ice melts I'll find out how deep, if "it goes" I'll do what I can to determine what it contains (which is probably a lot of junk)

Be careful, I'd worry about the stability of those walls! Would you have access to a drop camera to take a peek down there?

Poog:coffee:

do it easy:
Awesome, this looks like the start of a really bad horror movie- Blair Witch meets the Cave!!!

Ya know, if you poured some Scotch in there, it would melt the ice! :)

If you look closely at the picture and note the ice near the top of the cistern it appears the water level was higher earlier this year, the surface froze, then the water level dropped and the ice "collapsed". I will have to ask some of the "locals" if they know anything about the cistern.

"The Cave" was almost as stupid a movie as "Desperately Seeking Susan" or "The Breakfast Club".

Pouring whisky on that ice is just crazy talk.

Poogweese:
Green_Manelishi:

Be careful, I'd worry about the stability of those walls! Would you have access to a drop camera to take a peek down there?

Poog:coffee:

While it's still frozen I need to find out what I can about the cistern. There is no sense in "getting all excited" if a local can provide documentation, or whatever, indicating it's less than 10 feet deep.

Assuming I am not told to stay away, or that it's shallow, the first thing I'll do is lower a measured line with strobe into the water. That will tell me how deep it is as well as a rough idea of the vertical visibility

If it seems promising I'll rig a way to get down into the water without causing a splash and a mess that will also assist in getting out. I won't do it alone; a friend has agreed to be surface/short support.

My first "dive" will be just to look around the edges.

do it easy:
Awesome, this looks like the start of a really bad horror movie- ! :)

make sure you have the camera on automatic ...

and make sure your will is up to date

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom