I wonder how deep this is and what it contains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it's shallow enough that you can increase your bottom time with EAN 36%. See? There is a bright side to everything.

So have you dived it yet?

So I was a little off on the depth(there must be about a foot worth of junk sitting on the bottom), but if you look close enough you should find that little side passage I mentioned ;-)

~Jess

Green_Manelishi:
Based on the not-very-scientific method of "finding" the bottom, pictured below, the results are that currently the water is a wee bit deeper than 5ft. I went back through the guesses and some of you were very optimistic, as was I. It's fairly obvious now that some of the first pictures showing the ice a few feet below ground level were showing ice laying on what is currently the bottom. When the area dries up, which I am sure it will later this summer, I'll have another look at its depth.

Never-the-less, I declare the following results:

#1 GenXWeb with a guess of 5' 5"
Tied for 2nd with a guess of 6' are JessH and Mad Scientist
3rd place is mchrisk with a 6'6" guess

Just as an FYI, there is currently a lot of water (large puddles) in the area, which is in a gully. Because where that cistern is located was once farmland my hypothesis is that it was a way to easily access "ground" water for livestock or irrigation. I am still looking for records/surveys/maps that show the area in the past.

Well, that's how deep the "basin" is, but how many hundred feet back might it go? Telford and Peacock are both pretty shallow...

Oh darn.....well at least the vis looks pretty good based on the line going down and the left side of the pic where you can see the rocks below the surface.:wink:

Might be a nice place to cool off in the summer...:D

johnnyseko:
Oh darn.....well at least the vis looks pretty good based on the line going down and the left side of the pic where you can see the rocks below the surface.:wink:

Might be a nice place to cool off in the summer...:D

I doubt the mosquitoes would allow much peace for cooling off.

So is this it? Have we reached the end of the road? Is this the end of the "I wonder how deep this is and what it contains?" thread? And you, who so cruelly raised our hopes and dreams, dash them to the ground without even getting wet? Say it ain't so!
The horror!
The horror!

Actually, you've only answered 1/2 of the question. We now know how deep it is, but you must now find out what it contains.

Let's make it to post #200

Cheers

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
Actually, you've only answered 1/2 of the question. We now know how deep it is, but you must now find out what it contains.

Let's make it to post #200

Cheers

Mike

It's too shallow to be worth actually entering, however, I have a plan for the visual portion; a friend of mine owns one of those "cone shaped things" used for looking into water from above the surface. If I can borrow that it's a cinch. I might even be able to take some pictures of the interior.

YEAH!!! Get in there and start digging...mmmmmmm buried treasure mmmmmmm
Go green go

paulthenurse:
So is this it? Have we reached the end of the road? Is this the end of the "I wonder how deep this is and what it contains?" thread? And you, who so cruelly raised our hopes and dreams, dash them to the ground without even getting wet? Say it ain't so!
The horror!
The horror!

Think how badly I feel; my possibly historic dive in that location will not happen. But I already have another potential site in mind ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom