I want your honest opinion....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to know who you agree with the LDS or the dive expert?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would side with your LDS.

Assuming the lake/quarry where you have to do your check-out dives is not iced over then there is no issue with diving in 40F/5C water for 1/2 hour in a drysuit. That's a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

R..

I am not 100% sure. I know they were a navy seal for quite some time and very informed about SCUBA.

If everyone who claimed to be a Navy Seal actually WAS a Navy Seal then it would be the biggest branch of the military.... Unless you have proof...... :no:

Bear in mind I'm a new diver as well, so for the more experienced divers out there, feel free to blast me for this post...

One thing that has not come up, and it's probably going to be covered in your OW class, is that with water that cold your reg is more likely to free-flow. You probably should make sure your real comfortable breathing from a free-flowing reg in the pool before hitting the open water. It's certainly a strange experience trying to breath off of one for the first time (at least it was for me...).

Bear in mind I'm a new diver as well, so for the more experienced divers out there, feel free to blast me for this post...

One thing that has not come up, and it's probably going to be covered in your OW class, is that with water that cold your reg is more likely to free-flow. You probably should make sure your real comfortable breathing from a free-flowing reg in the pool before hitting the open water. It's certainly a strange experience trying to breath off of one for the first time (at least it was for me...).

A free flow reg I was actually very comfortable with during my OW class. Not something I would want to have happen but if it did I would be comfortable dealing with it and then making my way to the surface and getting air from my buddy if need be. Very good point though as I heard it is a common thing in cold water.

Lots of excellent advice and perspectives here, there certainly appear to be a great many warm water divers too...here's another perspective...i Just did my cert in 40 degree water (at the surface - it was 38 at 60' of depth )in a 7mm wetsuit . i really dont know what all the noise is about ? Sounds like you already KNOW the water will be COLD - the tough part is taken care of then right ?you sound like someone who's consciously acknowledged that you'll be diving cold water. i expect i'll eventually get a dry suit cert......someday. Having accomplished a succesful dive checkout in those conditions - and yes mask flooding is cold , but no worse than a stroll in downtown Churchill in January, i feel more capable to approach cold water AND the eventuality of a drysuit with a better basis of understanding of what the real conditions are.i wpt debate the comfort of diving in warm water - but how often are you going to get the option ? the loaner suit make leak at the seals - but buying a new one for yourself doesnt mean it will never leak either - no debate about having proper fitting equipment though - but you'll know that pretty quickly wont you....good luck with it, be safe , have fun.

Another question kind of on the same topic here....Whats the difference if I borrow someones XXL DUI suit or XXL Dive Rite suit or XXL whatever suit OR if I buy my own XXL DUI / Dive Rite / Whatever suit. Its the same suit isnt it? I know that obviously you do not want to be constricted in your range of motion, you dont want the seals to tight that they cut off circulation or worse yet on the neck where I can then pass out. You also wouldnt want it so big and baggy that you cant control it, but a XXL suit is an XXL suit just maybe cut differently like different brands of jeans, maybe one has a front inflate button while others like the Dive Rite have a side inflate button. I dont have the money for that perfect fit custom suit at what $3000??? Heck, I dont even have the money for an off the rack suit at what maybe $800 + right now so it is what it is and I appreciate all the comments.

Dive Safe!

What DESIGNERDIVER said.

Another question kind of on the same topic here....Whats the difference if I borrow someones XXL DUI suit or XXL Dive Rite suit or XXL whatever suit OR if I buy my own XXL DUI / Dive Rite / Whatever suit. Its the same suit isnt it? I know that obviously you do not want to be constricted in your range of motion, you dont want the seals to tight that they cut off circulation or worse yet on the neck where I can then pass out. You also wouldnt want it so big and baggy that you cant control it, but a XXL suit is an XXL suit just maybe cut differently like different brands of jeans, maybe one has a front inflate button while others like the Dive Rite have a side inflate button. I dont have the money for that perfect fit custom suit at what $3000??? Heck, I dont even have the money for an off the rack suit at what maybe $800 + right now so it is what it is and I appreciate all the comments.

Dive Safe!

If it fits, it fits.

The issue is, most of the time they don't quite fit.

R..

Dive Safe!

I can't speak for the sizing comparison between different makes, but you will also have wrist seals and neck seals that have likely been cut to fit whoever owns the suit. These seals need to fit you properly. DUI makes it a bit easier because the seals can easily be changed out, so an LDS that rents a DUI drysuit can give you the right sized seals for any suit.

The difference between buying your own is that if a Mens XL Tall with size large feet is what you would ideally wear, you don't have to settle for an XXL which will not fit as well. You can also get a custom suit if you want (I had to since I'm a skinny 6'7" guy.)

That said, I would highly recommend getting a few dives in before you splurge on a DS. Plenty of people find it isn't for them after a few dives.

Tom

I'll throw my two yen's worth in and say that I also agree with the majority here. I never had a drysuit course, but was Rescue Diver with over 200 dives the first time that I dived in one. I'd never dived in cold water until coming to Japan. My buddies who were all experienced drysuit divers gave me tips and I practiced in shallow water for a few dives while getting the hang of it.

You being a new diver, I agree with everyone else that it's a good idea to get some instruction and practice in the pool before doing open water. You also want to check the fit on the drysuit you'll be wearing for your checkout dives....You definitely don't want a leak in those kind of conditions ;-)

Back
Top Bottom