I want your honest opinion....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the best possible answer........

I agree, the best thing would be to do your classwork and pool at home, then fly down to Mexico for the open water dives there.

I think this time of year even Key Largo is still warm enough so that you would not need a drysuit there.

However I normally only visit the Keys in summer or fall, with a 1/2 mm dive skins, so I personally cannot say for sure, from experiece this time of year. But I cannot imagine the Florida varies much. It is such a beautiful place, I am sure you would really enjoy it.

A gap between confined and open water isnt ideal - ask if you can get a pool refresher immediately to going open water. You WILL forget things in the time period.

Exactly right. In fact, it makes absolutely no sense waiting a long time between pool work and open water. So not only is it "not ideal" it would be crazy.

Excellent advice by String. I am wondering why nobody else mentioned this?

So just an update for anyone out there who cares or just wants to read. I found a dry suit from the shop that seems like it fits me. It was comfortable, not cutting off my circulation at the seals, didnt feel like I was going to pass out. So we got in the pool last night for about 2 hours and did some drills and swam around. Must say it was pretty comfortable doesnt seem like there should be any issues with the suit. ...

The issues will be with the complexity for dealing with 2 buoyancy devices, the B/C and the suit. They both get filled with air. They both need to be managed while descending, while swimming level, and especially while ascending. With the water really cold, there will likely be issues. You will be busy, and you will have your hands full.

Bear in mind I'm a new diver as well, so for the more experienced divers out there, feel free to blast me for this post...

One thing that has not come up, and it's probably going to be covered in your OW class, is that with water that cold your reg is more likely to free-flow. You probably should make sure your real comfortable breathing from a free-flowing reg in the pool before hitting the open water. It's certainly a strange experience trying to breath off of one for the first time (at least it was for me...).

I have never seen a reg free flow just because the water was 40F.

I have seen freeflows for a number of other reasons, though.

If 90% of your dives will be in a cold quarry .... then BUY a dry suit as soon as possible!
You will appreciate it :D

You could then use our dive simulator to "check out" warmer water locations.

Good luck!

However, the "general rule" for scuba is to rent first.

A new person to diving does not even know if he/she is going to like it.

Therefore buying a $2000 drysuit before certifying is not a really good idea in my opinion.

Another question kind of on the same topic here....Whats the difference if I borrow someones XXL DUI suit or XXL Dive Rite suit or XXL whatever suit OR if I buy my own XXL DUI / Dive Rite / Whatever suit. Its the same suit isnt it? I know that obviously you do not want to be constricted in your range of motion, you dont want the seals to tight that they cut off circulation or worse yet on the neck where I can then pass out. You also wouldnt want it so big and baggy that you cant control it, but a XXL suit is an XXL suit just maybe cut differently like different brands of jeans, maybe one has a front inflate button while others like the Dive Rite have a side inflate button. I dont have the money for that perfect fit custom suit at what $3000??? Heck, I dont even have the money for an off the rack suit at what maybe $800 + right now so it is what it is and I appreciate all the comments.

Dive Safe!

You need to trim the seals with a pair of scissors. That is the main difference.

If you are borrowing, or even renting, as long as the seals fit you around the neck and wrists, you should be fine.

I definitely would not buy a suit until after you are certified and have decided that you really love this sport.

This guy is going to be a cold water diver. So it would be better to train him as a cold water diver from the very start. It's much easier to go from cold to warm than warm to cold. Sure there are more problems but he can start dealing with them from the start. Comfort is fine but the more he dives the more comfortable he should become. What's the matter with doing in in a 7 mil to start with? It's only been in the past few years that dry suits have moved into the main stream. For a lot of years we made multiple daily dives under the ice in 1/4" Farmer Johns. Let him get the basics in the conditions he will be diving in......

Gary D.

The issues will be with the complexity for dealing with 2 buoyancy devices, the B/C and the suit.

It becomes a complete non-issue if learning from day 1 in a drysuit. You have no bad habits to undo, no strange feelings to get used to and you just do it. I see far more problems from people training wet converting to dry than i do with people learning dry from dive 1.

Also see far more issues with people that learnt wet in warm clear waters who then come to cold murky waters than you do with someone that learnt in those cold murky conditions to start with.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with almost everything Ioannos said.

The warm water referral option is fine IF the student is only concerned with getting the card for carribean vacations.People who plan on divig at home in cold water environments should train at home.

As far as never having seen a reg freeflow due to cold water, my only assumption is that you have not done much cold water diving.

Diving dry is not more difficult than diving wet. It is a bit different, but if the diver learns dry from the beginning, then dry is normal and wet is different. I actually find diving dry to be easier.

In my opinion, it comes down to individual comfort levels.

I have dove wet in 38 degree water with air temps of 20's. Not the most comfortable but certainly do-able.

Last weekend, a group of us dove in a quarry in Vermont. Water at depth was 38 degrees and the air temp was low teens. We had a heated trailer for our SI and that made all the difference in the world. One diver dove wet and he was fine.
We did the same dive last year with water temps of 38 degrees and air temp of 9 degrees.

Getting warm during the SI is important. If the LDS has a heated trailer or tent for the SI that will be a big help.

Some people can't deal with the cold and they shouldn't do this type of dive. Others handle it just fine and dive all winter long. If you aren't comfortable then do not dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom