Single diver in Melbourne, options for Leafy Sea Dragons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoolCanuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in Melbourne until Feb 27. I would love to see some Leafies and Weedies. I am looking for some shore dives in the area with a buddy who knows how to find wonderful things. I have all of my own gear except tanks and weights and although I usually dive in a dry suit back home in Canada, I have my 7mm with me. any info would be appreciated.

I can’t help with the buddy bit, sorry, as I am tied up this weekend. Flinders Pier is a good spot for Leafy Sea Dragons, about 90 minutes South East of the CBD depending on traffic. You will probably have to travel to SA for Weedy Sea Dragons.
The water temp at Flinders was 21c last week.

You may be able to hire tanks and weights from Dive and Dive in Springvale Rd, Braeside.

I can’t help with the buddy bit, sorry, as I am tied up this weekend. Flinders Pier is a good spot for Leafy Sea Dragons, about 90 minutes South East of the CBD depending on traffic. You will probably have to travel to SA for Weedy Sea Dragons.
The water temp at Flinders was 21c last week.

You may be able to hire tanks and weights from Dive and Dive in Springvale Rd, Braeside.

Flinders is good for Weedies, not Leafies, but you knew that and just swapped them in writing.

@CoolCanuck I'll PM you about a dive.

Flinders Pier is undoubtedly the best spot to find weedies normally. Unfortunately, we’ve had southerly winds, with more forecast, which is not great news for diving Flinders as there’s not much shelter from Bass Strait. The weedies will still be there, perhaps hiding in seagrass, but the vis is unlikely to be great. Give it a go but don’t get your hopes up too much. Portsea Pier is another option - weedies might be harder to find but likely a bit better protected from current winds, and has more ‘other’ life on offer. Blairgowrie is quite protected and should have plenty to see but unlikely to include weedies. Rye is also nice, but again unlikely to find weedies.

Flinders Pier is undoubtedly the best spot to find weedies normally. Unfortunately, we’ve had southerly winds, with more forecast, which is not great news for diving Flinders as there’s not much shelter from Bass Strait. The weedies will still be there, perhaps hiding in seagrass, but the vis is unlikely to be great. Give it a go but don’t get your hopes up too much. Portsea Pier is another option - weedies might be harder to find but likely a bit better protected from current winds, and has more ‘other’ life on offer. Blairgowrie is quite protected and should have plenty to see but unlikely to include weedies. Rye is also nice, but again unlikely to find weedies.
Seeing weedies would be a huge bonus but I am really looking for any kind of shore dive in the Melbourne area. I love nudies, shrimp, seahorses, sea stars …. Being in the water with no viz, staring at bare sand, is better than being on land any day.

Seeing weedies would be a huge bonus but I am really looking for any kind of shore dive in the Melbourne area. I love nudies, shrimp, seahorses, sea stars …. Being in the water with no viz, staring at bare sand, is better than being on land any day.
In that case go for it! Sorry I can’t join you. Those piers are all down the mornington peninsula so no reason you can’t go on a pier crawl and hit 2-3 in a day. If you are prepared for poor vis and perhaps a bit of surge they are all ok to dive

Ed: I should add condions are probably good at Blairgowrie, Portsea and Rye now

Deleted: I was way off topic.

Back
Top Bottom