I want to buy Atomic reg but are they really noisy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Titan LX, a Legend, and two DIN Atomics for my doubles. I haven't noticed any substantial noise disparity between them. They're all reliable, excellent breathers.

In fact, the only real difference for recreational dives has been which mouthpiece I have on 'em. (The Atomic mouthpiece is my favorite.)

Place a Atomic ST1 next to a SP MK25. The workmanship aspect alone is astounding. Then factor in the additional service life. :thumb:

I have a Z1 and Z2. I've never noticed any noise that I would say is noticeable. Very easy breathers, too.

I got my wife an Atomic B2, and have done several dives with it myself. It did have some noise on inhalation when we first got it, as well as it would free flow when you took it out of your mouth at depth (not pointing it upward, just taking it out). I had my LDS take a look. They adjusted the IP of the second stage (?) and that seems to have fixed both issues. The atomic is a VERY good reg, I last used it in 35 degree water in december and am very impressed with how much easier it is to breath than my sherwood maximus.

I also got my dad an oceanic CDX5/EOS and never noticed any noise at all (I did do the first dives on that reg, but just to test to ensure it was safe :wink: )

Perhaps you saw the thread, but there was a person here a while back who said his B2 was so noisy it drove him crazy. Atomic eventually sent a replacement, but he said it was just as bad and returned it. He made it quite clear that he would never buy an Atomic reg again.

But that thread, like this one, had a bunch of posts from others who reported either no noise problems or minor noise problems that cleared up quickly with either use or service.

Your LDS may tell you the Atomic reg is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and based on my personal experience I wouldn't disagree. Outfit your Z2x with MiFlex hoses and you'll have one sweet reg.

Btw, neither my wife (Z2x) or I (T2x) have experienced any issues with our regs, noise or otherwise.

Last edited:
I have owned several Atomic regulators (T's and B's) since they came to the market with no problems at all, noise or otherwise.

There is NO contest between Atomic and Aqualung or Oceanic, not even close. I have owned and used regulators from AquaLung, Poseidon, Scubapro, Sherwood, Dacor, Mares in addition to Atomic regulators. Atomic is in a class by itself above the rest (Scubapro is very close).

If you are going to get the Z model, I'd recommend to get the swivel version with sealed FS.

Last edited:
I have 2 Atomic M1's on Inhaltion "Above Water" if I inhale very slowly it will make a noise if I take a nice breath it won't. Once under water The regs do not make any noise at all. I am sure most of which your talking about and people complain is noise above the surface and From what I was told is due to there being no pressure against the reg or something of that nature.

I also own 2 Mk17/G250V's which are work great above and below with no issue's and between them there is almost no difference in Performance or breathablility. The M1 does seem to flow a little more Air then the G250V but you wouldn't make a wrong choice going with either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom