I want to buy Atomic reg but are they really noisy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthFlorida

Registered
Reaction score
I am really interested in buying the Atomic Z2x because of the excellent reviews and Atomic 2yr/300 dive service policy. However I have read on this board that people have had problems with the noise on Atomic regs. Can any other Atomic owners confirm this? I certainly don't want a noisy reg, that would drive me crazy. The other reg I'm considering is the Oceanic GT3 CDX5. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know if I ask my LDS they will tell me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so I am looking for some more real world feedback on Atomic regs before I buy. I guess my main question is - should this prevent me from buying an Atomic reg or can/does this happen with all brands?

FYI - I dive strictly in warm waters.

I have an Atomic T2X and have never had any noise issues at all.

We own 7 Atomic regulators, B2/Z2/M1. We purchased the first one in 2003.

One of our B2's came back from overhaul making a faint "zing" noise on inspiration from the first stage. It made this noise for about 8-10 dives in 82 degree water, only in the depth range of 60-80 feet. After ~10 dives the noise disappeared.

We do about 250 dives a year, and have had no issues except for this one instance. And that really wasn't a nuisance, just interesting.

Otherwise perfect.

All the best, James

I have 20 or so Atomics, including B1, Ti1, M1 and their associated second stages. My first Atomic is number 37, a showroom model with clear second stage. It howled like a screaming cat when I got it, and didn't get better until it got the Jet Seat upgrade. All of my Atomics have a jet seat, and none make any noise. Anymore. The tradeoff was it is the best breathing regulator I've ever owned, and I can leave it out on the back deck for months at a time without rinsing or care. When I choose to rebuild it (I've never HAD to rebuild any of them, but like to rebuild the pure O2 service ones once a year), I soak it in some weak acetic acid and they clean right up. I wouldn't trade my Atomics for anything. Except I bought my first HOG this year to try out.

I am really interested in buying the Atomic Z2x because of the excellent reviews and Atomic 2yr/300 dive service policy. However I have read on this board that people have had problems with the noise on Atomic regs. Can any other Atomic owners confirm this? I certainly don't want a noisy reg, that would drive me crazy. The other reg I'm considering is the Oceanic GT3 CDX5. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I know if I ask my LDS they will tell me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so I am looking for some more real world feedback on Atomic regs before I buy. I guess my main question is - should this prevent me from buying an Atomic reg or can/does this happen with all brands?

FYI - I dive strictly in warm waters.

LOL You have managed to pick a second choice reg that has also had noise issues. Many of the Oceanic first stages with the DVT plastic plug have had noise problems. That was not a problem with Oceanic first stages before they added that gizmo.

That said, if I had to risk a noisy reg, I would take the Atomic since they are great breathing regs.

LOL You have managed to pick a second choice reg that has also had noise issues. Many of the Oceanic first stages with the DVT plastic plug have had noise problems. That was not a problem with Oceanic first stages before they added that gizmo.

That said, if I had to risk a noisy reg, I would take the Atomic since they are great breathing regs.

I did just read about Oceanic regs being noisy too. I'm now thinking about the Aqualung Titan LX. Anyone have noise issues with a Titan LX?

Noise is a spurious issue. I have 4 Atomics regs. No noise issues. I've seen dozens of others on dives. I've never heard any strange noises. They do breathe better than any reg I have ever dived with. That should be your only priority.

Can any other Atomic owners confirm this? I certainly don't want a noisy reg, that would drive me crazy.

I cannot confirm the presence of noise. I have a small collection of the Atomic Regs -no problems. I do have the Oceanic CDX5/GT3 with the DVT and it's not loud, but it appears to have a louder operating profile.

Noise is a spurious issue. I have 4 Atomics regs. No noise issues. I've seen dozens of others on dives. I've never heard any strange noises. They do breathe better than any reg I have ever dived with. That should be your only priority.

Thanks for the feedback, that's good to hear. I'm definitely still considering Atomic.

I cannot confirm the presence of noise. I have a small collection of the Atomic Regs -no problems. I do have the Oceanic CDX5/GT3 with the DVT and it's not loud, but it appears to have a louder operating profile.

Thanks that is very helpful. I think it must be a DVT thing which makes them a bit louder. My LDS also mentioned Oceanic is a bit slower in handling gear issues than Aqualung and Atomic so I think I've narrowed it to Titan LX and the Z2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom