I want a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba once bubbled...

Now, I would agree that if we all limited ourselves to discussing the pros and cons all gear and techniques have, we just may be able to get along. :D

I was under the perhaps mistaken impression that the type of discussion of the pros and cons that you have described is what was in fact in progress on this thread, at least until kpauley whipped out the "DIR/Taliban" insult and took it in a different direction. I note that some who specifically disclaim having any connection to the DIR guys thereafter expressed the same reservations about the HUB that had previously been expressed and apparently inspired the name-calling.

And now you call those who have the nerve to hold and express an opinion different from your own "roaches" and suggest they be sent to another room, presumeably so you won't have to hear the opinions with which you disagree. What a mature and well-spoken individual you are!!

I think I'm starting to get it!!! Guys like Scuba and kpauley are permitted to engage in unprovoked name-calling, and the guys who are being called names, aren't.

Makes sense to me..............

At the risk of redirecting this thread to the initial question, I noticed, Stev, that you have a wreck diving C-card. If you're doing any sort of penetration dives, you do not want to be wearing a HUB. The problems I originally noted become more serious in an overhead environment, and you should be looking at a "real" tech rig.

Did you guys ever hear a joke before?

Not when its on you, right.

Humm Humm

There are two main categories of Buoyancy Compensators:
Jacket or front/side inflation - Back inflation

These are often broken down into Recreational and Technical categories, with the jacket style falling primarily into the Rec. category. The back inflation ones into both Rec, and Tech. categories. Within these categories you will find different concepts such as the HUB and the backplate/wings.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages and different characteristics, Learning about what each style has to offer is a good starting point for comparison before you start narrowing down your search. As others have said, do a search, ask questions, try them, if at all possible.

Personally, I think all you DIR guys should go diving and leave the rest of us alone.

leadweight once bubbled...
Personally, I think all you DIR guys should go diving and leave the rest of us alone.

LOL :rolleyes:

Dive Rite Transpak II.... Things great. I haven't had a chance to dive a bp yet, but I would have to think its pretty close to the Transpak. As a matter of fact, you can use a bp on the transpak if you needed to. A bit on the pricy side though.

Lets start with the initial question. I prefer the fit of a back inflate bc and if you want something that is nice without breaking the bank look at the Sea Quest Balance (i have its much bigger brother the Raider) or the Aeris Atmos XT. Both should be useful in both cooler lakes and also in the tropics. I have not tried on a Balance, but there are many rave review on this board. I have tired on the Atmos XT and loved the feel. I only ended up with my Raider because I got a very good deal on it.

Now for the DIR/Non DIR BS. Some people need to learn to take a joke. I know that sometimes the real meaning of a comment is lost when it is not spoken. I am sure the no one actually ment that DIR divers are not truly like terrorists. I can also apprciate that some people are tired of being blasted with the opinion that a BP/Wings are the only way to go when one ask a BC question. I did not buy a BP/wings, but will more than likely end up with one in the future. It would however be nice if a simple question about recreational bc's not be turned into another post about how bp and wings are superior. Also, why have people gotten upset that the HUB has been refered to as a death trap when no one complains about OMS wings being refered to as bungeed wings of death. OK, its time to get off my soap box and go to bed.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
Now for the DIR/Non DIR BS. Some people need to learn to take a joke.

It would however be nice if a simple question about recreational bc's not be turned into another post about how bp and wings are superior.
It wasn't a joke... and nobody "needs to learn to take" it.

The DIR bashing (*taliban* is no joke) started before anyone mentioned BP/wings (which btw are not unique to DIR)...

Why are you so one sided cstreu1026? Typical anti-DIR... willing to let DIR bashing slide yet gets on his soap box as soon as we complain about it.

I pesonally think Kpauley's *taliban* comment should be pulled and he should be warned that if it happens again he will be banned from the board! But you anti-DIR folks get cut all kinds of undeserved slack when it comes to personal attacks and slander.

BTW: If folks want to recommend a bp/wing as a BC they have just as much right to do so as you do to recommend a Seaquest Balance... get used to others having an opinion and expressing it.

Pug,

Maybe if we just start refering to all of the anti-DIR folks as strokes, it would make the whole bashing thing a little more even.

Oh, and to get back on the original topic, if you are not going to use a BP and wings, the Beuchat Masterlift Tech is a nice back inflate BC. I have one and it works just fine. I prefer my SS BP and Pioneer wings though, so the BC just collects dust.

I own both a halcyon BP/Wings as well as a Dive Rite Transpac II. While I like both very much, I find the transpac to be a better choice for travelling. I use the Travel Wing with it for my warm water destinations. It's light and compact with plenty of lift for me and my 4 lbs. of lead.

If I need more lift, or more weight, I go with the steel BP and weight pockets and a Halcyon wing. It's heavier and bulky for travel, not that it's that big a deal.

Try both and decide. I would stay away from the HUB or similarly complex setups. They're confusing enough on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom