I want a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan... Want to trade that rectek for a protek? This think is a little over kill I think.

I heard the HUB called a death trap. I don't like the things and wonder why someone would buy one but..... A DEATH TRAP?
Please show the report where there was actually a death? or a near death.....or a malfunction.
That comment is as intelligent as me saying that you drive a death trap for driving a 2000lb import when I prefer a big beefy American made truck.
If we use the argument that any potential mishap that may occur and can take a life is a death trap.....Then anyone that straps lead around their waist and jumps into the water is making a suicide attempt.

Please do not state opinions as Facts.:banging:

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Stay away from that deathtrap known as the "HUB".
I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with Dectek Is this just opinion or do you have some articles to quote or other written proof of this statement?

I hope you weren't aiming the death trap comment at me - it seems like it but I never said that.....

He asked for a cool bc recommendation. Well I still call wings a bc and I think they are pretty damn cool. For recreational diving I still prefer wings and I think soft pack wings are better for packing when travelling so I have no hesitaion recommending the rectek. Don't know the protek so no comment.

As to the hub never dived it but in the shop it looked a real hassle to do a proper predive equipment check - where do all those hoses go. It also looked rather bulky as well....

Jonathan

The HUB is pretty much everyone's favorite whipping boy around here. When I was looking to replace my gear, I looked at all sorts of options (including the HUB) while re-educating myself on what to look for in equipment. I arrived at my gear decision after considerable evolution in my understanding and thought processes. Here are my thoughts on the HUB. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek, so please don't take offense at it:

"Cool Factor"

The HUB certainly looks "high tech" with the integrated equipment, the air trim system, and the nicely stowed octopus and gauges. And the grey/yellow/black coloring is aesthetically pleasing, too. I'm quite certain that the chicks wearing neon pink bikinis will dig you when they see you heading down the beach in the HUB. I also know for a fact that the cute beach bunny at my local dive shop thinks the HUB is cool. Of course, her equipment knowledge was limited to "we recommend a dry snorkel regardless of the diving conditions."

Every review that I have read from sources other than this board praise the HUB as a massive leap forward in recreational diving technology; perhaps even better than the development of color coordinated diving gear.

However, most divers I know would question your judgment (read: gales of mocking laughter) if you showed up wearing a HUB . Some people would simply harpoon you. No experienced diver I know would think the HUB is cool to dive.

Some HUB Issues

1. Integrated equipment is usually a bad thing. The HUB is full of it. HUB hoses run under and around and inside of the BC jacket. Tell me how you can inspect hoses for wear, defects, cracking or signs of trouble without taking the whole thing apart? If something does go wrong with the integrated equipment, you'll probably have a hefty repair bill because of the time involved to disassemble the rig. I understand that you can swap equipment on the HUB, but you're better off buying a standard BC if you're going to be messing with equipment swapping.

2. Air Trim System. Yes, it looks pretty cool. One button to inflate, one button to deflate. I have never met a button that will not stick at some point during its life, and if your inflator/deflator sticks, you're a Polaris Missile or a boat anchor. Additionally, when you're "task loaded" its easy to make mistakes when performing unusual or more complex actions. Furthermore, if you get in trouble, and your buddy has to bring you to the surface, will he know how to flawlessly operate your HUB's Air Trim System? Even worse, what if a stranger has to rescue you? Will that person know how to operate a non-standard system? Finally, the Air Trim System relies upon the module to activate a dump valve to deflate the HUB. It isn't a mechanical depress-the-plunger to deflate mechanism found on regular BC's, and it is an additional potential failure point.

3. Pocket Storage. Coiling up an octopus hose and stuffing it in a pocket has got to be one of the worst ideas I've seen. Putting the BC oral inflator inside another pocket is also screwy. We're talking about the stuff you need IMMEDIATELY if things go wrong. I, for one, have no desire to go fumbling around in a pocket that I can't see while wearing thick gloves for the things that may make the difference between life or death.

4. Streamlining. Yes, the HUB is more streamlined than some rigs. But the benefit of HUB streamlining comes at the cost of safety, IMHO.

I'm certain that the HUB works great in the pool and on prosaic dives in the Caribbean. It's great if you want to buy a "packaged" rig from Mares without thinking through the problems with the design. For the money, though, you can buy a better system and get the training to use it.

After all of my research (and I'm talking about months of research and reading and shopping), I settled on a Halcyon BP/Wing, Scubapro MK25/S600, plain old SPG, a Vyper computer I use in gauge mode, and a cheapo watch. Your equipment is your own choice, though.

AzAtty,

You outlined the problems with the HUB quite well. Thank you for the thought out post instead of a mere "it is bad" response.

I would disagree with the streamlining because it is so bulky but that is just an opinion based on the look of the bc since I have not dove the HUB.

Chad

Yeah, I agree, Chad. The "streamlining" to which I referred was dangling equipment, etc. getting into the slipstream, which the HUB does not have. That's about the only streamlining claim the HUB can make.

kpauley once bubbled...
If the DIR/Taliban found out we are talking about this we'll all be in trouble.

Great, so now DIR divers are not only a cult, they are likened to a terrorist government who condons the murder of those who do not agree with them, the raping of women as a form of punishment for "disrespect", the stoning of women who dishonor their family by being raped, the beating of women who do not cover their face, and the whipping of men who shave. Intelligent response.

Taliban comment was directed at posts that contained no references to DIR, but rather simple suggestions to read previous threads on bc selection. Real confrontational stuff...

AzAtty provided a throrough examination of why the HUB is a a striking example of poor design. Any piece of life-support equip with so many failure points (be sure to include the worthless air-powered cam band tightener) deserves serious criticism.

I'm still waiting to see one of these on a dive boat to see how long I can stifle my laughter...my guess is they don't sell many of these clunkers.

If the original poster wants a recommendation for a good bc then I'll suggest that he consider a BP/W because it's an efficient design. It might even be cool...

JamesK once bubbled...
Great, so now DIR divers are not only a cult, they are likened to a terrorist
James it is perfectly acceptable for anti-DIR folk to lash out like this.

It is not, however, acceptable for DIR folk to respond in like manner or ever be less than courteous and deferential.

In fact we must be careful not to state any of our positions with too much enthusiasm lest we be banished to the rumored DIR forum that we have been threatened with for months now.

The willfully ignorant and blindly superstitious will go to any length to protect themselves from enlightenment.

Back
Top Bottom