I threw in the towel, and am kinda glad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve got a million things going on at the moment so I decided to bring my MK10 to a tech for annual service. I see he replaced the Yoke Retainer and Swivel Retainer and I’m curious what are some signs those parts are failing? In other words, I’m wondering if it’s something I would have caught.

I’ve had bad experience with scuba techs and was apprehensive to bring my reg in, but after meeting Keoki I’m pretty psyched to have a good local tech close by when needed. I dropped the reg at his house this morning and it was done this evening, $90 including parts and tax, from a friendly and kind local guy who seems to appreciate SP as much as any of us :)

I don't think that there is any shame in farming out part of a person's workload. We all do it to some extent. or we'd be off grid tilling our garden right now. Knowing what your regs are doing and understanding how they should be behaving will give you the foundation to know if the tech likely did a good job. Go in peace. :)

Whether you would have changed out those parts yourself or not, $90 total suggests you got a very fair price, after ann svc labor and a service kit.
The swivel retainer should be changed to stainless, so if yours was still brass, it's at risk for fracture between the threads and catastrophic gas loss. I've seen two, now, though fortunately not in real time.
The yoke bolt could afford a change-out if the chrome was gone and the tank mating face was dinged, or if the threads to the body had seen better days - they're under a fair amount of stress.
But if you were my customer, you'd get a call before I replaced anything beyond service kit contents. Still, you're probably better off than before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom