I think we have been heard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you regarding the appeal. once i switched to them i can imagine going back.

My point was questioning the advertizing tactics. steel springs figurativily add 50.00 to the price of a set of fins. you see a pair of fins and it says 99.00. show a pair of fins with steel straps and they say FROM 99.00. The appearance of steel springs suggests they are the serious divers choice of propulsion. "We meet the DIR specifications." ECT. Most people now days see the name HOLLIS and it has the same sales effect. When i posted the comment i was wondering how many makers have steel springs as the standard/ or only configuration issued as opposed to a displayed option at a significant additional cost beyond the FROM price. Honesty in advertizing issue. Its like Honest Johns used scuba tank sales. " Dont buy new.....We can put you into a used tank at a prices starting from 29.95." So you have my appologies if it apeared i was talking down the use of steel spring straps.

I think spring straps have appeal far beyond the ranks of GUE/UTD/DIR.

I think spring straps have appeal far beyond the ranks of GUE/UTD/DIR.

Sorry Ron but I have to disagree. I have had springs straps on my ScubaPro Twin Jets from the beginning and I am not GUE/UTD/DIR. The thing about spring straps and jet fins is that you pay an extra $80.00/pair for the darn things. Which if you think about is really pretty ridiculous when spring straps for my ScubaPro Twin Jets were only $45.00/pair and they have more to the buckle than jet fins do. Go figure. Now that I am going dry, I have been looking at jet fins again and for the price, the Hollis F1's @ $169.95 with spring straps is cheaper than ScubaPro Jets after adding the straps. I think I will splurge a bit and get the yellow tip Hollis F1's so my wife can find me easier if we get separated.

I believe that is what he was saying.
That divers that are not GUE/UTD divers also liked spring straps.

yup... switched to springs on my slipstreams... will never look back

Yeppers...I discovered spring straps long before I discovered DIR/GUE... I have them on two pair of my "Evil Atomic Splits" :facepalm:

When I purchased my first set of Jets off of Ebay, before I even got the fins, I had a set of Spring Straps waiting at the house for them. :)

Ooopsss!!! That was a Homer Simpson if I ever saw one...DOH!!! Sorry Ron, misread on my part. :facepalm: Thanks Pullmyfinger.

It's funny . . . spring straps played a big part in my becoming a DIR diver. When I was a total newbie, I went for a dive with a woman from our dive shop. She had spring straps, and I thought they were the cat's meow, since I had struggled with my fins from day one. I went to the dive shop and asked if I could buy spring straps, and the guy there (who happened to have been my OW instructor) asked me why I wanted them. I told him the story, and he said, "Oh, Jackie -- she's been diving with that DIR crowd. Why a group of cave divers from Florida think they can tell the whole world how to dive . . . " and on and on. I came away confused as to why he didn't like the spring straps, and thinking, "Hmm . . . if these DIR guys are where they come from, maybe they have other good ideas?"

So I went home and Googled DIR, and darned if they DIDN'T have a bunch of other good ideas. The rest, as they say, is history . . .

I've never used anything but rubber (plastic/whatever) straps. What's the big advantage to springs?

flots.

1) speed: think waist deep, timing the wave sets and just at the right moment........fins on and go! If you fumble your fins you get nailed by the next set of waves.
2) comfort: I was surprised how much better my fins fit and felt with the springs

SP Jets (of course)

1) speed: think waist deep, timing the wave sets and just at the right moment........fins on and go! If you fumble your fins you get nailed by the next set of waves.
2) comfort: I was surprised how much better my fins fit and felt with the springs

SP Jets (of course)

It turns out it's a different strap. My Twin-Jets are quite strechy and have huge foot pockets. I just pull them over the hell like springs.

The Jet fin straps are monsters my drysuit boot doesn't go in nearly as far, and I wouldn't even consider putting them on like that.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom