I think we have been heard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy in and out. I have 3 fused vertebrae and have lost a lot of the flexibility in my lower back. Spring straps make it easier to remove my fins.
I've never used anything but rubber (plastic/whatever) straps. What's the big advantage to springs?

flots.

Having recently done several dives with my new, yellow Jet fins, on which I have not yet installed springs, I can tell you what the advantage is -- it's getting them on and off! I have the rubber straps adjusted just right, but they don't stretch nearly as much as springs, and require more effort. Bending over in my doubles on the boat, trying to reach my feet in my heavy exposure protection, and trying to pull hard enough to get the rubber straps over my heels was a PITA. I had forgotten how annoying fin straps are!

Do those fins come with the springs as standard, or is it an option that is being displayed for approval or appeal of DIR divers?

One of the best scuba purchases I have ever made was spring straps, don't have to worry about them breaking, makes getting them on and off a breeze. Probably the biggest noticeable difference of all the gear I've bought/gone through. I have put springs on all my fins. Over the years I've become bit of a spring strap "pusher" I've converted many to the bright side. I always recommend two purchases to new divers spring straps and a slap strap.

Last edited:
Do those fins come with the springs as standard, or is it an option that is being displayed for approval or appeal of DIR divers?

I think spring straps have appeal far beyond the ranks of GUE/UTD/DIR.

Having recently done several dives with my new, yellow Jet fins, on which I have not yet installed springs, I can tell you what the advantage is -- it's getting them on and off! I have the rubber straps adjusted just right, but they don't stretch nearly as much as springs, and require more effort. Bending over in my doubles on the boat, trying to reach my feet in my heavy exposure protection, and trying to pull hard enough to get the rubber straps over my heels was a PITA. I had forgotten how annoying fin straps are!

Maybe it's different strap rubber or different pocket design or boots. The straps on my twin-jets just flip over the back of my boots with hardly any stretching, but I do know that the jet fins are a real bastard to get on sometimes, and I can definitely see spring straps there.

flots.

No, all the fins listed in the article specifically state that they come with spring or other spring-type (bungie or stretchy rubber) straps.

One of the best scuba purchases I have ever made was spring straps, don't have to worry about them breaking, makes getting them on and off a breeze. Probably the biggest noticeable difference of all the gear I've bought/gone through. I have put springs on all my fins. Over the years I've become bit of a spring strap "pusher" I've converted many to the bright side. I always recommend two purchases to new divers spring straps and a slap strap.

OK I'll bite...slap strap?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom