I Still Feel Like I'm On The Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
Question: Do you people who rock for a few days ever get seasick? So far (knock wood) I haven't. I'm wondering if the prolonged feeling that I'm still on the boat has something to do with it? Like even after a day trip, I'll "rock" for a few hours afterward. And like someone mentioned, when you're trying to sleep, it is kind of comforting.

I am one who has gotten both. It seems, though, that my seasickness comes from Great Lakes boat rides and the land effect is more frequent after ocean dives. I don't know if this makes any sense to the experts, but it has been my experience.

DandyDon:
:hmmm: I've never had it last more than a few hours, maybe a day after my first cruise on an old ship without stabilizers. Couple weeks ago, I was on a really bucking liveaboard for 70 hours, and the feeling lasted only a few minutes on land.

Q: Do any of y'all have problems clearing your ears...?

Would that have been after the Fling trip???....Mine lasted for 2 days after getting home....I kept telling my wife that earthquake, causing the moving earth, has followed me from Freeport, Tx. all the way home to western Louisiana......

a friend of mine gets it really bad he get sick back on land for about a week. he swears he will never go on another live aboard again. as for me i don't even get it any more. i also used to get sea sick on the boat and don't get sick any more ether i think the more you go the less you will get this feeling. if its bad enough to make your stomach upset you can an sea sick med like meklizine or Dramamine and it help i used to have to do that but not any more.

I got it after a week long sailboat trip interisland. Only lasted a day or so for me and I really only noticed it when I was standing in the shower with my eyes closed. Then I'd notice I was rocking back and forth slightly.

Didn't affect my stomach at all! And I seldom get seasick on a boat, especially a sailboat.

diver 85:
Would that have been after the Fling trip???....Mine lasted for 2 days after getting home....I kept telling my wife that earthquake, causing the moving earth, has followed me from Freeport, Tx. all the way home to western Louisiana......
You were on the Fling? I was on the Spree and giving you Spree specific comments. Gawd, you must have been crowded. We were, but nothing like that boat.

Yeah, it was rough for us, but the forecast was rougher for your days. We had a few fish feeders the first day, but that cleared up okay. Our group leader passed out MECLIZINE antihistamine freely and that does help a lot - along with clean & clear ears, decongestants, etc. I suspect that the same things help with moving earth illness, but I have so little problem with either that I am really not qualified to say much.

I'm big on sunsets, and I think I got my best sunset pic ever one evening - you should see it in full res, full screen...

Night Diver Down

desktop.jpg

halemano:
Not neccessarily dive related, an inner ear infection can cause balance issues that might lead others to wonder if you are drunk.
shotthebreeze:
Has anyone not been able to eat or gotten sick after eating when feeling this way?
I have had an inner ear infection that disturbed my balance so much laying down was all I could do comfortably. Sitting up, walking, eating and nearly every other waking activity made me quesey. I did not have any health insurance at the time, but paying for a doctors exam and the antibiotics was well worth returning to normal. Scuba Board is just a bunch of divers, go see a doctor!

DandyDon:
You were on the Fling? I was on the Spree and giving you Spree specific comments. Gawd, you must have been crowded. We were, but nothing like that boat.

Yeah, it was rough for us, but the forecast was rougher for your days. We had a few fish feeders the first day, but that cleared up okay. Our group leader passed out MECLIZINE antihistamine freely and that does help a lot - along with clean & clear ears, decongestants, etc. I suspect that the same things help with moving earth illness, but I have so little problem with either that I am really not qualified to say much.

I'm big on sunsets, and I think I got my best sunset pic ever one evening - you should see it in full res, full screen...

Night Diver Down

Great sunset shot, BTW.......We were full, 27 divers + 3 shop's 'team leaders' for a total of 30 divers.....They were 4 in our small group & we got a room( with 4 bunks) all to ourselves in the middle of the boat(bunk #13 thru #16), so it was easy from that standpoint....Exiting & loading the boat was 'normal' for diving, so that was OK....The only time I noticed it being crowded was @ eating time...There's room for about 24 to sit down so that meant 5 or 6 had to either wait or get their food & go else where, not too bad though cause not everyone was ready to eat all @ one time....

All in all, with 100% capacity & ruff seas, we had a great trip.... wished we would have seen more 'bigger' critters, but that's diving I guess....

2 Things, (1)current was ripping on the 2 afternoon dives(rig & esp. FG East Bank dives, 3+ knots 1st 30 feet) so much so only 10 of us made the nite dive @ East Bank(luckily current decreased alot)....and (2) the safety the crew works with---- I don't know if this is new due to recent DCS case or if it's a long standing policy, but I'd give them a thumbs up on that one(my guess is it's a longstanding thing being so far off shore)..​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom