I resolve to never get fat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think some of you are not reading carefully (or at all). What the science suggests is that the bodies of people who have been significantly overweight will not only resist losing that weight, but strive to regain it, once lost. It's not an excuse--after all, nobody questions who got them fat--it's an explanation. So, to sum up, if you fatten yourself--and yes, that is all your fault--it will be a lot harder to maintain a healthy weight than if you had never gotten fat. The message is, don't ever get fat.

The other message is, when you see a fat person, don't assume they are lazy or undisciplined. They may be eating a low calorie diet, and they may be exercising twice as much as you, and still be fat. What you can assume is that at some time they overate, or didn't exercise enough, or probably some combination of the two, and they got fat. Shame on them.

The body adjusts to the level of consumption. I have yet to see empirical data that supports this excuse. eh, sorry, reason. A person which loses a lot of weight and keeps it off for a period of time will normally not have a problem maintaining that level if they eat normally.

Changing one's body type is a process. Today, if I go to the US, I can get away with eating much more than normal for up to a month. Sorry, but I haven't found anything here that can compete with our restaurants in the states :)

When I return to Europe I find that I gained no weight at all or in a week I am back to my "normal" weight.

Same was true when I had a "fat" body type. I could diet for weeks and barely drop anything, then I quit and immediately put the pounds back on. People who lose weight and keep it off for six months or a year have a much lower risk of gaining it back. It seems. ymmv

If this theory is correct, then it certainly adds another layer to the concern over childhood obesity. If someone becomes 'fat as a child, then essentially they will have to work extremely hard for the rest of their lives to avoid becoming fat again.

I didn't see the article as an excuse, but rather a warning, and an explanation for those who may be saying 'dang I work so hard, and I'm not losing.' Understanding why you have to work so hard to achieve any results may in itself avoid people just becoming frustrated and giving up.

I have yet to see empirical data that supports this excuse. eh, sorry, reason.
Did you read the article I linked and excerpted? That's what the thread is about, the empirical data cited in the article and the conclusions it suggests.

people loose weight and keep it off all the time... because they exercise and eat right... of course if you loose a bunch of weight from diet and exercise, then after 3 months, eat like crap and sit on the couch, of course youre going to get fat again.. dont really need some study to tell anyone that,, the study is an excuse..

I have the opposite problem... if I just eat when im hungary and dont go to the gym 5 days a week, i walk around at a whopping 6ft 162lbs, yes i loose weight... I eat 4-5 meals a day, and work out 5 days a week, im at 190lbs, less than 10% body fat... I will loose 10lbs in week from not eating right and exercising..

people [-]loose[/-] lose weight and keep it off all the time... because they exercise and eat right... of course if you [-]loose[/-] lose a bunch of weight from diet and exercise, then after 3 months, eat like crap and sit on the couch, of course youre going to get fat again.. dont really need some study to tell anyone that,, the study is an excuse..
What did you think of the research by Leibel and Rosenbaum at Columbia University, and how do you square that with your assertions? (Or did you also not read the linked article?)

I read the article, I dont believe everything I read.. and thanks for the spelling lesson.. if someone wants to use that article as their excuse as to why they cant keep weight off, thats their right.. if they want to eat right and exercise, that is too.

...The other message is, when you see a fat person, don't assume they are lazy or undisciplined...

after going through what i put myself through and seeing other "overweight" folks in various stages of rehab, medical conditions, etc. i do not automatically assume someone is lazy or undisciplined but if i see/know that same person over a long period (i.e. 6 months-1 year) and they have done nothing to TRY and get into/back into shape, then lazy may be a fair adjective. i know results may vary but there are just too many people out there that use what may be legitimate research to maintain their current lack of fitness and blame it solely on genetics or some sort of fitness "darwinism". i will get off my soapbox now.

I have the opposite problem... if I just eat when im hungary and dont go to the gym 5 days a week, i walk around at a whopping 6ft 162lbs, yes i loose weight... I eat 4-5 meals a day, and work out 5 days a week, im at 190lbs, less than 10% body fat... I will loose 10lbs in week from not eating right and exercising..

You are missing the obvious... you have a high metabolism rate.

As we age, our metabolism slows down.. you never mentioned your age.
Look at your parents as they are now... it will tell you what you will be at their age.

Obesity has any number of factors, not just lack of exercise and/or overeating. Those indeed are factors, but not the only ones.
ymmc, M :daisy:

I didn't bother to read all of the linked article.

The issue with most people feeling hungry is the boom and bust caused by high carb, low fat eating.

It is the mix of foods. High grain / starch will promote weight gain. On page 4, there is mention of white flour. Hint: it is not just white flour that is a problem.

Not all calories are equal in terms of satisfying hunger, or how the body directs them. High carb / starch pops insulin levels, and insulin prompts the body to store fat.

With the right diet (and by diet I mean ongoing choice of foods, not weight loss plan) most people will find that they will naturally gravitate towards eating the right number of calories without hunger or a feeling of deprivation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom