I need help on first reg purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently pass my open water padi out in Egypt, I used kit they supplied and down at the depths on one set of regs i struggled to breathe finding it hard to inhale.

the regs had no adjustment guessing they were basic kit, since then I have looked around and found so many choices for 1st & 2nd stages.

i am planning in the near future to dive local in the UK and dive abroad in warmer waters. I also found that using the regs supplied I had a fare amount of bubbles exiting the reg over my mask which I found frustrating

can anyone please recommend some suitable 1st & 2nd stage for me please?

thanks j

can't go wrong with apeks and they should serve you well if you end up diving locally. if you are looking for a travel set at a budget price, the cressi regulators aren't too bad.

not sure about if there are any european equivalents to hog/hollis/dive rite that are ODS regs at a value price.

you don't necessarily need venturi levers or adjustment knobs for a reg to breathe well. I think getting a balanced 2nd stage with a metal barrel is more important.

Apeks was my first thought also. Apeks Regulators

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with an XTX100 since:
Sharing the same technical features with the higher end XTX200, the XTX100 first stage is machined from a solid piece of marine brass, but finished in luxurious satin chrome rather than the polished chrome or PVD of the more expensive models.
Apeks models also have:
Features an innovative Diver Changeable Exhaust system (DCE). This system gives the diver the ability to change from a small exhaust tee to a large exhaust tee. This gives the user a choice, wider exhaust tee for minimal bubble interference (essential for underwater photography) and narrow exhaust tee for a smaller compact comfortable regulator. The regulator is supplied with both sets of exhaust tees.

And for cold water use:
Suitable for coldwater use (below 10 C / 50 F). An environmental dry system keeps water out of the main spring chamber thus preventing ice buildup and keeping silt and contamination out.

Aqualung also distributes them in some regions (the U.S. being one) so their dealers can also provide service/parts as needed.

It will also work equally well in warm water.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with an XTX100

I disagree. If cost is an issue I would recommend the ATX-40 sets that are sold at a reasonable price. You get the same cold water performance of the Apeks line at a lower cost. The only disadvantages are 1) the second stages are not adjustable (this can be fixed by purchasing a knob off eBay). 2) The DS4 first stage only has 1 HP port. 3) the hoses are not reversible.

If cost is not an option then I would recommend the XTX-50 with a DST first stage. The regulator is less expensive than the XTX-100. The second stages are identical except for some cosmetic differences. The DST first stage offers better hose routing if you ever decide to move to doubles. Same performance as the XTX-100 for $200 less.

To me the XTX-100 is the worst value in the Apeks line. The XTX-200 is only $45 more expensive and has a removable orifice. Another bad value is the XTX-40, for only $35 more you get an adjustable second stage.

AI computer transmitter + backup SPG - a recreational diver should really have 2 HP ports.

I concede your point about the XTX50 vs. the XTX100 - I didn't look at it closely - skipped to the XTX50/DS4 which only has one.

I disagree. If cost is an issue I would recommend the ATX-40 sets that are sold at a reasonable price. You get the same cold water performance of the Apeks line at a lower cost. The only disadvantages are 1) the second stages are not adjustable (this can be fixed by purchasing a knob off eBay). 2) The DS4 first stage only has 1 HP port. 3) the hoses are not reversible.

If cost is not an option then I would recommend the XTX-50 with a DST first stage. The regulator is less expensive than the XTX-100. The second stages are identical except for some cosmetic differences. The DST first stage offers better hose routing if you ever decide to move to doubles. Same performance as the XTX-100 for $200 less.

To me the XTX-100 is the worst value in the Apeks line. The XTX-200 is only $45 more expensive and has a removable orifice. Another bad value is the XTX-40, for only $35 more you get an adjustable second stage.

Largely agree with this. The XTX50 gives you a really high end regulator that really does not need any major improvement for any kind of diving.

Another shout out for Apeks, great regs and of course local to you. Personally, among others, I dive XTX50s with FSR 1st stage. The ATX40s are also good regs if you can still find cheap. I own them also and they breathe the same as my XTX.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 12:00 AM ----------

Totally agree, not even sure why they bother making it, unless the satin finish is popular. To add, hose routing is almost identical to the FSR too.

AI computer transmitter + backup SPG - a recreational diver should really have 2 HP ports.

I concede your point about the XTX50 vs. the XTX100 - I didn't look at it closely - skipped to the XTX50/DS4 which only has one.

Looking at the Apeks US product line they sell the XTX-50 with ether the DST or the DS4. The DS4 is slightly cheaper. Some divers prefer the DS4 because they consider the turret of the DST to be a failure point. The DS4 is also more compact than the DST. If a diver wants to use an air-integrated wireless computer then they should have 2 HP ports, but I don't believe most divers use air integrated computers.

I have a few FST first stages and they are fine but offer no advantages over the DST.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 01:31 PM ----------

Totally agree, not even sure why they bother making it, unless the satin finish is popular.

I think the trend among regulator manufacturers is to design their product lines to meet price points rather than for performance. I guess it is good to have choice but it also overly confuses the new diver. A friend of mine always likes to tell the story about how he walked into a dive shop and asked the owner what is the difference between two regulators. The owner quipped back, "about $200".

Thanks all!!! I appreciate all the help and advise I will purchase a set over the next couple of weeks, I will update you on what I buy. I brought I secondhand Zeagle ranger with a octo bcd, do you think I should stick with this or just buy a set of regs? Cheers j

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom