I need help about equipment choice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decide what algorithm you want your computer to be using, that will narrow your choices.
Nice one for an entry-level diver:wink:

You absolutely CAN use a wet suit at those temperatures, but it really depends on you. Do you live in a cold climate/are you used to being out in the cold? Where we live in New England, I feel like folks have more cold tolerance and are able to dive wet at colder temperatures. It's more about your own physiology and how acclimated you are.

My girlfriend dove wet for a while before deciding that she (being from L.A.) wasn't made for cold north Atlantic water in the 30's,40's, and 50's so she finally made the move to a dry suit.

I'd try it in a wetsuit first, given the size of the investment you should know for certain that you need it. Even entry-level dry suits can cost 2-3x what a decent wetsuit will run you.

A good all-purpose semi-dry suit is the Neptune Dry Ice suit. It's pricey, but I find it's good year round in cool-to-cold water.

You absolutely CAN use a wet suit at those temperatures, but it really depends on you.
Yes, he could also dive with a 3mm shorty or anything else. Recommending the use of a wetsuit for a diver who is going to dive in water between 8 and 9 degrees Celsius is absurd. Are you familiar with the following texts? US Navy Diving Manual, 6th revision. United States: US Naval Sea Systems Command. 2006; "Preliminary Report on Protection Against Cold Water". US Naval Experimental Diving Unit Technical Report; "Manned Evaluation of the NCSC Diver Thermal Protection (DTP) Passive System Prototype". US Naval Experimental Diving Unit Technical Report by Piantadosi, Ball, Nuckols, and Thalmann; "Market Survey of Commercially Available Dry Suits". by Brewster and Sterba; "Proceedings of the DCIEM Diver Thermal Protection Workshop". Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Toronto? Wetsuits lose 42% of their insulation capacity at 2 atmospheres of pressure (33 feet in seawater) and continue to lose insulation value with depth. Furthermore, exercise in a wetsuit doubles the heat loss through conductance which is attributable to the flow of water under the wetsuit. Comparisons of 6.5mm wetsuits with conventional drysuits have shown that drysuits lose much less of their insulating capacity with depth as compared to wetsuits. Diving in a wetsuit below 70°F/21°C presents severe thermal challenges due to the heat loss that occurs with depth and the thermal inefficiency of a wetsuit.
Do you live in a cold climate/are you used to being out in the cold?
He lives in Greece, what do you think?
Where we live in New England, I feel like folks have more cold tolerance and are able to dive wet at colder temperatures.
Yes, cold acclimatization or habituation is a process of gradually increasing your resistance to cold injury through regular cold exposure
It's more about your own physiology and how acclimated you are.
People with thicker fat layers lose less core heat at rest and during exercise both in cold air and cold water.

My girlfriend dove wet for a while before deciding that she (being from L.A.) wasn't made for cold north Atlantic water in the 30's,40's, and 50's so she finally made the move to a dry suit.
OTOH, studies confirm women protect their core temperature equally or better at rest in the cold than men.

I'd try it in a wetsuit first, given the size of the investment you should know for certain that you need it. Even entry-level dry suits can cost 2-3x what a decent wetsuit will run you.
Your body responds to diving in cold water (less then 70°F/21°C) in several ways:

Air consumption increases in colder water, and air consumption is directly related to heat loss from your body.

When a diver is chilled in colder water, the heart rate and blood pressure increase due to thermoregulation.

When the core body temperature falls to 95°F/35°C or below, confusion, increased difficulties in concentration, and physical stress ensue.

A good all-purpose semi-dry suit is the Neptune Dry Ice suit. It's pricey, but I find it's good year round in cool-to-cold water.
I use a semi dry for diving in water from 13ºC to 22ºC. Under 13ºC, always use a drysuit.

You absolutely CAN use a wet suit at those temperatures, but it really depends on you. Do you live in a cold climate/are you used to being out in the cold? Where we live in New England, I feel like folks have more cold tolerance and are able to dive wet at colder temperatures. It's more about your own physiology and how acclimated you are.

I have to disagree with this advice. If he tries diving with a wetsuit in such cold water, there's a good chance he'll lose his enthusiasm for diving. Also all his energy will go to dealing with staying warm rather than learning skills.

He's better off getting a nice drysuit like the White's Fusion and diving with it from the beginning. There are some extra skills in using a drysuit, but for sub 50 F water it's worth it.

Adam

Thanks for all the answer and advises.

Well, so which drysuit would you suggest me to buy? Dry suits are really so much expensive when compared to wetsuits (even to the most expensive wetsuit).

If I will buy a drysuit, I must buy the most efficient one in tersm of price vs quality.

So my plan is,

+First buying a very good quality reg + a good octo. (I think not need to be as good as the main reg.) + a console for gauges. I am thinking about buying Apeks XTX50 reg + apeks at20 octopus + termo console 2. This makes around 770 EUR here in the lds. It's much more cheap in leisure pro but could I trust them?

+Second buying a drysuit - I think this will be the smartest decision I can do. During the summer time the water is hot and I can dive even in shorty. Yet when the summer fades away and winter comes a dry suit will be a saver. But as I mention above, I need brand advices.

+Third buying a computer. Not need to be the best one. Suunto Vyper will do the job.

+And lastly buying a BCD. I do not know if I need a BP/W or a classic one. I will think about this later.

I hope if everything goes right I can complete all the set in two years. WOW. Too much money to spend but I think it will worth.

Yes?

Just a thought but if you are going to be diving in cold water than make sure your regulator is good for cold water. The XTX50 I believe is good for cold water you may want to check on the octo.

Cheers

A lot more features? the only differences I am aware of is the Vyper has gauge mode the Gekko does not, the Vyper has a back light the Gekko has to be charged by your light but it is plenty bright enough, I actually prefer the Gekkos lighting. BOTH are Nitrox capable. For the price the Gekko is a great computer. Cheers

PS I dont own either but have used both.

I have the gekko and really like it. One more item the Vyper has is PC download. Gekko does not, although there is an app for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom