I need help about equipment choice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I have been diving for a while and I really love to dive. It became a part of my life and I now want to buy my own equipment. I will not be diving below depths of 40 meters. I would use air and nitrox.

I need some help about the equipment set below.

1-Apeks at20 regulator
2-Apeks at20 octopus
3-Termo console 2 (tank pressure and depth gauges)
4-Sequest Wave BCD
5-Technisub combi-flex diving suit
6-Suunto Gekko computer

So what are your thoughts? Are these gear enough for a Padi Advanced Open Water diver?

Is there anyone who uses some of these equipments?

There are really expensive regulators like apeks XTX200 STATUS. What's the difference between this one and at20? And there is also xtx20. which one you would buy? I am on a budget so I must keep it as cheap as possible and keeping the gear as durable as possible.

Thanks.

I a big fan of Apeks and dive 50's. The Status is just a gimmick. No need to waste your money. The 2nd stage on the XTX50, 100 and 200 are basically the same. Never used a at20 so no real experience but I sure it's a good reg. The 50, 100, 200 have an adjustment know on the second stage that the 20 doesn't. Probably not really needed for most divers though.

Suunto make good computers so your good there.

I don't like the Wave BCD. We use them for students but I wouldn't spend money on one myself.

Don't have any experience with Technisub so no comment expect make sure you try on any wetsuit before you buy it. Sizing will very form company to company. Make sure you buy a suit that fits you.

You''l also need a compass for AOW, or for your own use. It's nice to know the way back.:D. Do you need a SPG and depth gauge with a computer? I thought the computer monitored air pressure? I suppose a backup wouldn't hurt. If I'm wrong someone set me right. Is it that some computers do and others don't monitor air pressure? I know they all monitor depth. I'm thinking I may need to buy one and learn how to use it if I want to charter some of the dives I'd like to do.
I don't have experience in any of the gear you mentioned but, maybe a discussion of computers / SPG's would be helpful.:popcorn:

Please complete your profile. It would help. (to help you)

They called themselves Guerrilla Divers.
Composed of elite divers with Macho mentalities, back when men were men, and FEAR was a lispy companion of the common Man. It was a time before insurance liabilities, lawsuits or beauracratic regulation of the "sport". Guerrilla divers didn't need "Buoyancy Compensator Vests". In fact, "Anyone who needs a BC deserves to drown" was a popular adage. Exploration and the Hunt came first, excitement and fun followed. Safety was the stepchild of fitness, good reflexes and a cool head.
AHHHHH the good ole' days I remember them fondly.

I a big fan of Apeks and dive 50's. The Status is just a gimmick. No need to waste your money. The 2nd stage on the XTX50, 100 and 200 are basically the same. Never used a at20 so no real experience but I sure it's a good reg. The 50, 100, 200 have an adjustment know on the second stage that the 20 doesn't. Probably not really needed for most divers though.

Suunto make good computers so your good there.

I don't like the Wave BCD. We use them for students but I wouldn't spend money on one myself.

Don't have any experience with Technisub so no comment expect make sure you try on any wetsuit before you buy it. Sizing will very form company to company. Make sure you buy a suit that fits you.

Thanks for the answer.

xtx50 and beyond are expensive for my budget. I can purchase on a xtx20. xtx20 is I think a little bit more quality reg than at20. What is your thought? Would I go for a xtx20?

What about the octopus choice? I think it does not need to be a quality one. A basic octopus would do the job. Yes?

Gekko is the cheapest computer of Suunto. So I am not sure how good is that? I was thinking to buy a Mares M2 but I could not find it in the diving store here. Do you know a site where I can order a M2?

So which BCD would you advise me buy? What are your thoughts about the below BCDs?

Seaquest Latitude
Seaquest Balance
Seaquest Pro Qd

You ever heard about Zeagal? How do you find it's BCDs?

I will try the wetsuit before I buy it. I will be diving on winter. Which wetsuit would you suggest me buy?

Thanks.

You''l also need a compass for AOW, or for your own use. It's nice to know the way back.:D. Do you need a SPG and depth gauge with a computer? I thought the computer monitored air pressure? I suppose a backup wouldn't hurt. If I'm wrong someone set me right. Is it that some computers do and others don't monitor air pressure? I know they all monitor depth. I'm thinking I may need to buy one and learn how to use it if I want to charter some of the dives I'd like to do.
I don't have experience in any of the gear you mentioned but, maybe a discussion of computers / SPG's would be helpful.:popcorn:

Yes, I will buy a compass.

The computer I plan to buy does not monitor the air pressure.

You are right. Some computers do and others do not monitor air pressure.

What about the octopus choice? I think it does not need to be a quality one. A basic octopus would do the job. Yes?

So which BCD would you advise me buy?

In regard to the octo, you may find yourself in a situation where your buddy needs air and grabs YOUR reg, leaving you to breathe the octo. The only thing that you HAVE to have while diving is a way of breathing. That's not the place to skimp in my opinion.

That doesn't mean you need the most expensive one, but you want a good quality, durable reg.

In regard to the BCD, I'm a fan of back inflation, but everyone's taste varies.

The best advice I can give you is to spend your money first on a good quality regulator, rather than trying to get mediocre everything right from the start. You can add other bits to your diving kit as you see where your diving is going to take you and start to learn what YOUR preferences are, instead of the people on the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom