i need a new BCD need experienced information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hummer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi am looking to buy another bcd ,have only used this second hand one and i think its a man's mares epic size m.the arm straps are pulled as tight as they can and there is too much shoulder for mine. also the comberbun and strap cover over my weight belt making it impossible for a quick release. have been searching on the internet but am not sure how much is reasonable for cost, but also get what i need.i need a better fit because i am short from neck to hips,i am 5' about 160 lb so am not skinny short and squat more like it. i would like slome thing that is easier to unclip to come off when getting in the boat.mine is weight intergrated but don't care if my new one is or not . i just need a better fit .we only have one shop here or i would have to travel to N.S. so any input would be great.

Go for a back plate system, say Oxychek, DiveRite, OMS, Halcyon.
They will fit most everyone, and give you the best fit possible. Because of this, you can easily buy online from places like LeisurePro, Scuba.com, ScubaToys, NortheastScubaSupply.com, et al.

thanks going to check these places out see what they can do for me.Did you find it hard to fit a BCD for yourself?

thanks going to check these places out see what they can do for me.Did you find it hard to fit a BCD for yourself?
Depended on the BCD, some jacket style were impossible, but I got good fit with the Zeagle Ranger, and wore one for years.
However, the first time I tried a back plate rig, was the end for me of anything else. Fit was fantastic and I got rid of all others.

By the way, DiveRite, OMS, and likely others also sell a style that uses a harness and wings, but no plate. Lighter for travel, and almost as stable. I wore an OMS IQ Pack for years, though almost always with a back plate inserted.
I've since switched to a more standard harness with a 6 lb stainless steel plate. That means an extra 4+ lbs of luggage, but allows me to use less lead. I just pack a lot less clothes. After all, one has priorities.

I recently tried out Jax's backplate and wing set-up for a single tank from Deep Sea Supply. It had a short, steel backplate.
i can tell you I'm buying one of those with my next paycheck! I was totatally in love with the custom fit, trim and way it made me fly through the water!
And, if you get the whole system as a set, it's no more than any decent BC! Less than a lot of them!
Because you dive cold water, I'd suggest a steel backplate. Especially if you see a drysuit in your future. So nice to get 6 pounds off the weight belt.
The really cool thing with a plain harness is that it fits everybody. You custom fit it to yourself!
The only thing is that it won't have clips to make it easy to get on and off.
you can find some harnesses with the plastic shoulder clips. I don't know the brands. But, it's really easy to get the properly fitted harness on and off because there is so much less bulk and clutter.

back plate ? wing? was in on the site, will i be having to get this bcd built instead of buying my bcd outright b/c i don't know enough about bcd's to even begin to think about how many separate pieces i'll need to buy and have put to gether plus how much will this add up to in the end right now,so far i only do single tank dives.just need a good fit, although tour description on the bcd you wear, sounds very nice especially the part about the ease in the water.

PLEASE do youself a favor and TRY before you buy! Scubaboard is notorious for hyping the BP/W as the answer to everything for everyone, yet not everyone likes them nor dives one. Yes, I am one of those folks, I don't like the BP/W, didn't find it comfortable, and wouldn't own one....and yes, I was fitted properly into one by a tech diver friend of mine.

It is really impossible to recommend specifically the brand or kind of BC to someone, so the best anyone can do is recommend what you might want to TRY based on their experiences.

For instance, my first BC was the "best and most popular" women's BC on the market at the time, so I bought one based on a friend's rave reviews. I hated it and got rid of it after only 6 dives. After an extensive search, I finally got a Zeagle Zena. I love that it's modular and can be custom fitted, it's super minimalistic, doesn't have a cumberbun (hate those!), is weight integrated, and is basically a corsett with a wing attached.

If you're interested in minimalistic design (like the BP/W) but don't want to go that route, check into the Zena. A shop like ScubaToys can take your measurements and build you a custom BC and ship it to you for fit.

I will second the Zena by Zeagle. There was a world of difference in using it as opposed to the jacket style I used in class. The Zena's corset like front and the placement of the "cinches" prevents the ride-up of a jacket. It's super easy to pack. I had no issues with face-plants. I can't say enough good things about mine.

I love my Scubapro Ladyhawk but I am definitely taller (5-6) than you, it is low profile, rear inflation, weight integrated. the cumberbund might need to be adjusted and you can cinch the shoulder straps to shorten the length so it doesnt cover your waist or weightbelt.

Backplate and wings are very adjustable but I personally like a little more "plush", if you get the chance to try one you can guarantee the fit and then see if it feels good before you buy.

back plate ? wing? was in on the site, will i be having to get this bcd built instead of buying my bcd outright b/c i don't know enough about bcd's to even begin to think about how many separate pieces i'll need to buy and have put to gether plus how much will this add up to in the end right now,so far i only do single tank dives.just need a good fit, although tour description on the bcd you wear, sounds very nice especially the part about the ease in the water.
Look at Deepseasupply.com and don't hesitate to e-mail Tobin, the owner....He's very good at helping new divers with bp/w info. and can put a pkg. together for you, for less than buying pieces separately........

Back
Top Bottom