I need a more streamlined BC!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is your Tusa BC just too big for you?
It's very common for someone to see the XS, S, M, L and XL and buy based on that.
Often these sized are way off, especially for warm water divers......

If you want the most streamlined BC there are really only two choices....DSS 17 lb and Oxycheq 18 lb backplate and wings.

I am still diving the halcyon 18 pound lift wing I got around 1997...one of the first single tank wings they made. For me it is good, and as the last poster indicated, the 18 pound lift size wings feel almost like no BC at all as far as drag is concerned....the caveat you need to be aware of, is that with this size wing you really have to pay attention to what tank and wetsuit or drysuit combination you are using....If I dive a 2.5 mm summer wetsuit ( essentially no bouyancy at 90 feet, not much on the surface) and the steel hp 100 I use for my dry suit in the winter time, the 18 pound wing needs to be completely inflated to the point of auto purging to get neutral on the bottom. So while I "can" use this combo, because I can swim alot more weight than the tank up with my huge Dive R freedive fins, it is not a great gear combo....
If you use a heavy wetsuit and it ocmpresses alot at 90 feet or deeper, you would be in the same boat....this is exactly why Halcyon decided the 30 pound lift wing was better for "more" people. It is still very slick, but it has the extra lift some tanks and wet suit combos may require.

But I do love my 18 pound wing and an al 80 or even a lp 120. And with a drysuit, there is no wing I would rather have with any single tank choice.

I still have a couple of "batwings".....one bought second hand 12 years ago even has RMC written on it.
I've been pleading for years for them to bring it back.

Thanks for all the responses everyone:)!!! I appreciate the advice. It looks like the Halcyon is the clear winner. I will also look at the Zeagle Express Tech BC. I have a little time to decide, as I still need to sell my Tusa bc. It's on ebay and hopefully will sell soon.

Thanks again for chiming in :blinking:

Hard to get more streamlined that this...

Eclipse-harness_detail.jpg

Ant good ol' BP/W rig with a one-piece harness will be about as streamlined as you can get.

Halcyon stuff will certainly streamline your wallet at least.......

Hey everyone. I just got back from a week long trip to Cozumel and realized that my new BC may not be the one for me.

I purchased a Tusa Platina Evolution BCD and have only used it a few times. What I learned, I am still a newbie, in Cozumel is that my BC is not the most streamlined BC. It's a fantastic BC with amazing reviews, but I want to sell this one and purchase a more streamlined BC.

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND? I like Oceanic, Aqua Lung, etc. The brand is not a deal beaker at all. I am looking for quality.

Also, I want to SELL my BC and will entertain any offers that come my way.

Thanks for your input :wink:

Working on the bottom part first;

Nice sales pitch for your old gear; I'm sure you'll get many fair offers due this post. :D

Could you be a little more specific about your experience in Coz that caused this post? Exactly what diving activity did your BC seem so unstreamlined doing?

Were there other divers, of the same gender, same general build and fitness, similar skill, body position and propulsion proficiency, same other gear including hose routing and fins, that were much faster moving through the water than you?

If so, what BC's were these close enough to compare divers that you felt were more streamlined wearing?

Check out the Scubapro Classic: CLASSIC UNLIMITED - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

It is the most durable, versatile, intuitive and fully accessorized BC around. You don't anybody's help to figure out how to use it, adjust it or accessorize it. It is "plug and play" and "user friendly."

The Halcyon BC picture is grossly misleading. Once you are done adding all of what you need to add to the BC, the picture will look a lot different.

What needs to be added? With the exception of a knife, I dive mine as pictured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom