I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stressful training is valuable so you know what stress will do to yourself. Blasting away at a paper target is one thing. Moving/shooting at multiple shoot/noshoot targets is completely different.

I did scenario based FoF training and it was an eye opener. (I've also done tons of confrontation training, martial arts, etc .) Anyway, here's what I learned in about 10 role-played problems:

1) I will shoot 3 shots per target (at least)
2) my shot placement is plenty good under (simulated but realistic) stress
3) I will shoot to slide lock with a 1911
4) don't shoot the jogger

I'm neither a lawyer nor a law enforcement officer, and I don't pretend to know much about the various laws involved in carrying concealed weapons.

What the surgeon told me was that as a licensed bail bondsman and as the holder of an FFL, he had certain privileges that were interstate. The bonding/private investigatory operation is fairly large, and I assume there are always skips on their books. He implied the FFL also conveyed certain rights. Perhaps he exaggerated, perhaps not.

He exaggerated; neither of those grant concealed weapons privileges nationwide.

But if he is actually out doing bail enforcement for fun, good on him.

Stressful training is valuable so you know what stress will do to yourself. Blasting away at a paper target is one thing. Moving/shooting at multiple shoot/noshoot targets is completely different.
Moving, shooting (and bayoneting) PVA & NKPA soldiers in defilade firing at you -and surviving- is the ultimate value of "stressful training", courtesy of the US Army.

The Washington Times website:
Mr. Obama’s budget contains other gun-grabbing surprises. The White House is looking to reclaim authority to destroy surplus M1 Garand rifles and M1 Carbines. For 30 years, the Defense Department has been blocked from scrapping these collectible firearms that served our soldiers well in World War II and the Korean War.

If South Korea wants to sell its suplus M1 Garands & M1 Carbines -or literally give them back at discount cost especially to the families of the US armed forces veterans who saved that country (and provided the security to make South Korea the big successful industry/commerce giant in SE Asia today) --then let it go through. . .

. . .gun rights advocates point out that possessing M1 rifles is legal in the United States -- M1s are semi-automatics, not machine guns, meaning the trigger has to be pulled every time a shot is fired -- and anyone who would buy a gun from South Korea would have to go through the standard background check.

"Any guns that retail in the United States, of course, including these, can only be sold to someone who passes the National Instant Check System," said David Kopel, research director at the conservative Independence Institute. "There is no greater risk from these particular guns than there is from any other guns sold in the United States."

Obama Administration Reverses Course, Forbids Sale of 850,000 Antique Rifles | Fox News

I did scenario based FoF training and it was an eye opener. (I've also done tons of confrontation training, martial arts, etc .) Anyway, here's what I learned in about 10 role-played problems:

1) I will shoot 3 shots per target (at least)
2) my shot placement is plenty good under (simulated but realistic) stress
3) I will shoot to slide lock with a 1911
4) don't shoot the jogger

Screw them stupid joggers. If they can't run, then....ah nevermind, let the grizzlies eat em!

Very nice. Love the 454. Magna port help hold the barrel down sufficiently? Or did it try to break your nose on every shot?
Funny you should ask I have an anecdote about that. The way I acquired actually two Premier Grade 454s was in partial payment for having printed Freedom Arms catalogs for a couple of years. One 4 3/4 inch and one 7 inch for my wife .

First honestly since I ordered my 454 new already Magna Ported, so I really can't offer a comparison of reduction... BUT I will say this, it did not take very log to discover I was not going to hold the barrel down period. Attempting do so led only to very sore wrists and frankly made for poor accuracy. What I discovered was instead of trying to hold it down (and because it is a little known fact the handle on the premier grade is not so much a replica of a colt 44 but is designed to actually be easy to hold on to as the gun rolls up ) So the best practice is to not try to hold it down but simply let it come up and direct it off to the right ( for right handed) and away from your head, which with some practice is quite easy and becomes habit.

Now for the rest of the story: My wife was going to use her 454 for hunting, So we went to the range to get it sighted in. I had hand loaded some mild target loads which she was shooting off a hand rest and was able to direct off to side ( hand rest, mistake #1 ) I was also testing some new hunting loads for mine . I loaded the hunting loads in hers while she was getting the targets ( Mistake #2) I was turned around putting my ear protectors on (mistake #3) and started to tell her " Hon I put hunting loads in your gun don't shoot it off the rest" ... unfortunately I only got to "Hun I put" ...she fired and her forehead started pouring blood, 13 stitches and a mild concussion later she decided she did not really like killing animals sold her 454 and bought a Dressage saddle.

Take a look at some of the shooting sports. Idpa, uspsa, ipsec, 3-gun etc... Helps with getting some stress and movement.

The weakness (?) with some of those competitions is that you begin in a ridiculous position (e.g. hands raised in surrender) and/or you are not sufficiently penalized for bad tactics.

The weakness (?) with some of those competitions is that you begin in a ridiculous position (e.g. hands raised in surrender) and/or you are not sufficiently penalized for bad tactics.

Yes just depends on what you do instead of those competitions. If you stand on the 15 yard line in the shade on sunny days only and keep punching holes slow fire into static paper and take 5 minutes to do a reload drawing the gun and mag from a table then it is better than that. If you have a dynamic range you can conduct real training in all conditions it beats the competitions. Just depends on what you have access to.

Competitions will make you do things you don't normally do and make you more competent in handling firearms assuming you don't have a training range and drills you consistently train on.

Originally Posted by Jon_R
Take a look at some of the shooting sports. Idpa, uspsa, ipsec, 3-gun etc... Helps with getting some stress and movement.
A slightly different form of "stress & movement" winter shooting sport: Try Biathlon. . .

I prefer my targets to return fire, said no one ever. But it does add a certain amount of urgency to the training...

A slightly different form of "stress & movement" winter shooting sport: Try Biathlon. . .

Never really caught on in Florida. :)

Could mountain bike and shoot.

Hmmmm. Dive, surface, hit some floating targets, go back under, ..... Have to work on backstop safety on that one..

Back
Top Bottom