I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache.

I've either read that before or something like it. It pretty much says 2 things to me. One is that reality is about the exact opposite of the perception of what most homeowners who rely on a fire arm for self-defense believe. Two that homeowners who rely on a firearm for self-defense no matter their skill level, or the weapon of choice are way better off than even they think they are. Specifically - in a home defense scenario, the caliber of their fire arm is basically a non-issues, all the range shooting they are doing to build good aim is going to be over-kill, the capacity of their weapon is basically a non-issue, if they need to defend themselves and they get to their firearm, they will virtually always be successful.

First rule of a gun fight: Bring a gun.

After that there are a myriad of variables that will affect the outcome. But it does (how do I say this nicely) make some of the overly zealous promoters of high capacity, big bore, expensive weeks of training, seem as though they reside in the village of tin foil hats.

I've often wondered why (other than personal enjoyment) some folk would pay many hundreds or thousands of dollars to train to be some kind of civilian black-ops type.

Don't misunderstand, some training (even if from a competent friend) and range practice is very important. If for no other reason to become familiar with the rules of gun safety, how to properly operate your weapon, and how to hit a target with some reasonable accuracy.

The only class of citizen in the US who may legally carry a concealed weapon in all states and territories are law enforcement officers, active or retired.

Unless your surgeon friend is also a sworn law enforcement officer...

I'm neither a lawyer nor a law enforcement officer, and I don't pretend to know much about the various laws involved in carrying concealed weapons.

What the surgeon told me was that as a licensed bail bondsman and as the holder of an FFL, he had certain privileges that were interstate. The bonding/private investigatory operation is fairly large, and I assume there are always skips on their books. He implied the FFL also conveyed certain rights. Perhaps he exaggerated, perhaps not.

Stressful training is valuable so you know what stress will do to yourself. Blasting away at a paper target is one thing. Moving/shooting at multiple shoot/noshoot targets is completely different.

Stressful training is valuable so you know what stress will do to yourself. Blasting away at a paper target is one thing. Moving/shooting at multiple shoot/noshoot targets is completely different.

Take a look at some of the shooting sports. Idpa, uspsa, ipsec, 3-gun etc... Helps with getting some stress and movement.

Full lugged, big bore, wheel guns are ...... sexy.

I really don't do much with my guns in the last 10 or so years they were in fact very utilitarian for me, used for hunting to feed my family for 25 or so of the 30 years we lived in Jackson Hole country of Wyoming.

If you like Big bore Wheel Guns then might as well take a gander at one of the big dogs..

Because of operating in Grizzly country This was my saddle gun for almost 20 years A Freedom Arms 454 Casull 5 shot ( because of the oversized chambers ) very accurate 4 3/4 inch Magna ported barrel, hand loaded 250 gr. to about 1875 fps and about 2000 ft lbs of energy.

The other gun that was used almost every year was this Remington 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag. I was my meat gathering standby, accounted for maybe 30 Elk and perhaps twice as many deer. It was hauled out in the last half of the hunting season after I played around with muzzelloader and bow mostly just chasing the critters around. My wife would say OK time to get this years meat go get "Big Bertha" as she called it, and bring home some food.

Very nice. Love the 454. Magna port help hold the barrel down sufficiently? Or did it try to break your nose on every shot?

I had the Super Blackhawk Magna-ported, before I realized how mild a gun it really is.

My pistol for whitetails is a Contender in 35 Rem. It has a bit of a kick to it. Got me pretty good in the face one time when a buck came in close to my tree stand, on my right, and I took a left hand shot, laying it on my right hand, cupped. O F that hurt!!!!!!

My kids claim I bled more than the deer. BUT, I made the difficult shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom