I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do get that 1897 watch your thumb placement, they can be bitey.

So can almost any autoloading pistol. More than once I've suggested folks move their hands before the slide came back and moved it for them.

Link to the actual order, plz? I can read other peoples reactions to it all day long.

Probably got erased off of whitehouse.gov

I'm not sure if you're kidding about not being able to find information on this or now, but google is pretty easy to use and find it. Here is a start, I'm sure you can figure some other key words to use on your own.

https://www.google.com/search?q=obama+executive+order+banning+import+of+guns&rlz=1C1LENP_enUS473US473&oq=obama+executive+order+banning+i&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.11415j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

At the bottom of the page google even gives you a dozen similar searches to pursue.

Here is the white house's own press release from whitehouse.gov

FACT SHEET: New Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence | The White House

03skeet_image2-articleLarge.jpg

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 03:54 PM ----------

So can almost any autoloading pistol. More than once I've suggested folks move their hands before the slide came back and moved it for them.

Garand thumb, 1911 beaver bite... it's all part of the fun!

Last edited:
DSC00585.jpg
As Hockeynut started this, I thought I would share a few photos that may be of interest from my collection. The musket on the top is an 1852 Eli Whitney, 58 cal., which was based on the 1841 Springfield "Mississippi Rifle" pattern. Below is a newer Zouave rifle reproduction, also 58 cal. and based upon the 1841 pattern. My dad built the Zouave some years ago from a CVA kit. Loaded with a 440 grain minnie ball, I have made accurate shots at an old brake drum out to 300 yards.

DSC00586.jpg
The rifle above is an all original 1873 Springfield Carbine in 45-70 cal. It was my great-grandfather's and he used to go deer hunting with it. It is still in operable firing order. Those who are history buffs will recognize this to be the same rifle issued to the U.S. Cavalry. Little Big Horn ring a bell? The Colt Peacemaker is an 1874, 45 cal. long colt (black powder). It is original with the exception of the cylinder pin, which I replaced. Seems the original got stuck, and somebody in the family decided to use vise grips on the pin.
DSC00587.jpg
The four depicted here are all reproductions, again made from various kits by my dad. The New Army is 44. cal, the Army model and Navy models are 36. cal, and the Little Ace is 44. cal.
DSC00589.jpg
The above are some of the more recent toys. The Winchester '94 above is a 44. Magnum, with a 26 inch barrel, while the Winchester rifle below is in 22. long rifle. The pistol is a stainless Ruger Vaguero in 45. long colt, with a 7 1/2 inch barrel.

I am glad to be in good company with those having additional and similar interests.

View attachment 168824
The rifle above is an all original 1873 Springfield Carbine in 45-70 cal. It was my great-grandfather's and he used to go deer hunting with it. It is still in operable firing order. Those who are history buffs will recognize this to be the same rifle issued to the U.S. Cavalry. Little Big Horn ring a bell? The Colt Peacemaker is an 1874, 45 cal. long colt (black powder). It is original with the exception of the cylinder pin, which I replaced. Seems the original got stuck, and somebody in the family decided to use vise grips on the pin.

Wow. Really nice, really impressive! Love firearms like those, that have stories of people actually using them.

Mike, just as an aside to history. My dad is 93, his recollections are not as sharp as they used to be, therefore I am unable to confirm the history of the Eli Whitney. However, my great-grandfather on one side, was in the Union and great-great-grandfather on the other, was in the Confederacy. It is my own poor recollection that the grandfather in the Confederacy carried the Whitney. My great-great-grandfather brought a wagon train to California from Charlotte, and purchased land from one of the original Spanish Dons, in or about 1841. In 1863, he rode back to Mt. Vernon, Texas to visit relatives, who left the wagon train and settled there. Consequently, he was thereupon conscripted into the Confederate Army. That was some visit....

Christopher

I see y'all fell for Agent Hockeynut's tricks....once y'all have been rounded up he will get another promotion

I have no firearms Agent

I see y'all fell for Agent Hockeynut's tricks....once y'all have been rounded up he will get another promotion

I have no firearms Agent

All the guns I've seen pictures or descriptions of in this discussion are perfectly legal. Some are pre 1898, meaning that unless you live in a semi-fascist state like NJ, you can buy them without any paperwork. They are antiques.

A surgeon I know is quite wealthy, and a serious gun collector. He became part owner of an FFL gun dealership and also of a bail bondsman/private detective agency. Strictly a money investment in each. He takes no part in operations, but his name is on the paperwork.

He has more guns than the Danish army, and can carry concealed weapons in any state he chooses, perfectly legally.

The statistics regarding violent crimes and gun availability are very interesting because they demonstrate the lack of clear connections.

In some nations gun availability is very limited, and violent crime is extremely low. A few hundred kilometers down the road, guns are everywhere, purchase of pistols is easy, but violent crime is also very rare. Switzerland is a good example of this phenomenon.

In Japan guns are almost impossible to acquire, and all pistols are completely illegal for non-police/military personnel. Gun violence there is almost unknown.Their murder rate is fairly high, though.

They use knives.

Goes to show, evil people will do evil regardless of the methods available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom