I like guns.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Modern Russian scope.

I have a 1943 Garand I'm picking up when I drop this one off, had to get the extractor replaced on the bolt. Get one while you can, the prices just keep going up. With Obama's importation bans, new (old) ones aren't coming in from our allies. I just hope they don't destroy them before the admininstration changes and we have a chance of getting them. The genius behind the robust designs of WWI and WWII vintage firearms like the Garand and the 1911 and the browning M2s is just staggering.

While modern guns have their allure, the classics will always hold a special appeal that cannot be matched. I firmly believe that John Moses Browning should be sainted.

When my son entered the USAF I gave him my M1 Garrand as a going away gift. He first shot that gun when he was @14, and had fallen in love with it.

While I hated to part with it, I knew I was giving it good home.

Talk about differing Presidential philosophies about guns. While Obama is doing his best to keep the Garrand, and all other guns out of our hands, but is was under R Reagan that the Garrand was made available under the Civilian Marksman program for $135 to civilians such as myself who were competing in matches of any sort.

Not having a Garand is a gaping hole in my collection. I had one once, however it was converted to a .308 and since it was not original it never really sat right with me. I traded it for a 1917 S&W hand eject .45 made in the mid 40's. Going to have to rectify the Garand hole situation soon.

I am supposed to take my daughters fiancé shopping for his first gun this afternoon. He is 21 and had never even handled a gun until this spring when I took him shooting. He is now hooked, I consider it a job well done. My oldest daughter is now even taking an interest in them (she was always very girly, girly much more interested in shopping than the outdoors) and she is learning to shoot and is planning on getting her CCW in Dec. after she turns 21.

So, for you 1911 lovers. Obviously you love the one you have, but if you were to recommend a manufacturer to someone to purchase, which would it be?

There's plenty of .45 options out there but I'm more interested in the pistol, it's quality, it's aesthetics, it's feel.

I really like my Springfield trp. IMO Springfield makes lots of good 1911s just depends how much you want or can spend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added October 13th, 2013 at 10:43 AM ----------

Check out cmp soon. Best deal on garands until they run out. I have 3 from them all springers. If you are close to one of their two stores make the drive and pick one out. Cmp is a one way thing. They get them from the army they sell them and they never come back so some day they will be done selling them.

Not having a Garand is a gaping hole in my collection. I had one once, however it was converted to a .308 and since it was not original it never really sat right with me. I traded it for a 1917 S&W hand eject .45 made in the mid 40's. Going to have to rectify the Garand hole situation soon.

I am supposed to take my daughters fiancé shopping for his first gun this afternoon. He is 21 and had never even handled a gun until this spring when I took him shooting. He is now hooked, I consider it a job well done. My oldest daughter is now even taking an interest in them (she was always very girly, girly much more interested in shopping than the outdoors) and she is learning to shoot and is planning on getting her CCW in Dec. after she turns 21.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Camp Perry store is about 2.5 hrs from me. A few years ago a CMP Garand was in the plans, joined the "club" and all that. One thing followed another and it did not happen. Probably cost myself a few hundred $$ with that missed opportunity. One of those "its just around the corner, meh, plenty of time for that" kind of thing.

Garands are amazing. I picked one up through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, an International Harvester with 1950s features. Using the 30-06 does limit where it can be fired here in this most populous state where guns are not smiled upon by officialdom.

The old school American rifle at the top of my list is the M1 Carbine. It looks like a mini-Garand. I have one in like new condition made by IBM, another made by Winchester. Original WW2 as issued, with flat bolts, no bayonet lugs, all parts correctly marked from the same manufacturer or whomever they subcontracted with at the time. These are not rebuilt junk retrieved after service in the Korean Army or elsewhere. I doubt these ever left the states. Even the stock markings are clear.

Unfortunately, these semi autos are now illegal to own in NJ. They were included in a group 'assault rifle' ban passed by a Republican governor and legislature two decades ago because most have the bayonet mount and are capable of taking 30 round banana clips. They used a formula to determine what was an assault rifle.

Mine, being untouched WW2 issue, do not have the bayonet mount, and the weight of a 30 round magazine will often cause it to drop after a round or two: WW2 production standards, when the 15 round magazine was standard and none were full auto until very late in the war, when the heavier M2 was developed.

Makes no difference. Illegal by definition. Jail time illegal. A state trooper was caught with one and lost his job, his pension, and received suspended jail time. At the same time the much more deadly SKS, AK 47 semi-auto, AR15, and a bunch of other weapons without the magic of the M1 carbine are perfectly legal. Politics. A clear inequity because NJ politicians don't want to be seen as 'soft on guns'. They will not touch the issue, privately conceding that it's a stupid law.

I have to keep my 'war babies' at a friends house in another state. Can you believe this crap?

It sucks. I can't understand the Constitution is a federal document and yet the states get to dictate the terms. Colorado has been pro gun for so long that we fell asleep and the liberals started taking our right away. HOWEVER. and it must makes me chuckle even to write it... we recalled 2 anti-gun d bags a month ago, they lost their jobs as politicians due to our citizens saying enough is enough, and now we are in the process of booting out the 3rd right now! Thank God!

Back to guns ...

I don't have an M1 carbine yet, I've been holding out for the M1A1 paratrooper model, but damn they are so expensive! The other baby I've been watching out for over the last few years is a vintage Winchester trench shot gun from WWI. Gotta save a lot of cabbage to get those two on my holy grail list. I saw one trench gun at the last gun show, the guy wanted $6000 for it

Drool...

9966924_1.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom