I have a yoke cyclinder. And a din regulator. Is there anything I can buy to convert my actual cylinder to a din.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That might help with getting the right valve. But the OP indicated wanting to get the tanks DIN. Pretty sure there are DIN valves available for just about every tank out there. At least tanks likely to be encountered.

Yeah, but then you can only use that reg for yoke tanks. If you use primarily rental tanks in the US, then yoke makes sense. If you own your own tanks and dive them, DIN makes sense.

I’ve got HP steels and Al tanks. Ironically, the steels have convertible valves, but the AL80s have DIN only valves. I just got tired of using an adapter, and swapped the valves during a VIP.
You need to know the tank stampings to know what valve to get.

AND the big pregnant pregunta is what are the tanks? If it is a 6351 Luxfer from 1986, then it may not even be reasonable for upgrading as the chances of finding hydro and VIP services go down real real fast so it may be better to go another direction there. I do all my own tank work and I'll not use a 6351 for any pressurized purpose, not because it can't be done, but because it gets prohibitive real quick from a cost perspective. I do have a really nice like as new 6351 Lux 80 from 1987 that I'm proud to have, but it is assigned the duty of holding valves when I torque new burst disks or packing assemblies.

As to converting the reg - if all expected diving is North America and Caribe, maybe Asia, and this is the sole tank he has, it would make more sense to convert the reg.

Of course, I promptly pull all legacy valves off tanks I get, DIN or Yoke, and replace them with provalves. Half my regs now are DIN. That number is shrinking... As I service them I intend to convert to DIN. But it's a do as I say, not as I do kind of thing.

And actually, the OP asked about if using a converter would harm his tanks or regs, not about changing the tanks over to DIN. Liek everybody that chimed in, new valve was my first impulse, but looking at number of OP's number of dives and realizing he is probably new, simplicity of yoke may be a much better option unless he intends to dive Eurpoe or use this equipment in a tec diving capacity.

You need to know the tank stampings to know what valve to get.
Of course.
AND the big pregnant pregunta is what are the tanks? If it is a 6351 Luxfer from 1986, then it may not even be reasonable for upgrading as the chances of finding hydro and VIP services go down real real fast so it may be better to go another direction there.
Agreed, but that wouldn’t change just by getting a valve. If he’s got a tank with 6351 alloy, he’ll run into this with the yoke valve as well. I assumed he was diving with it currently, so getting fills at least, but I could be wrong.

As to converting the reg - if all expected diving is North America and Caribe, maybe Asia, and this is the sole tank he has, it would make more sense to convert the reg.

Of course, I promptly pull all legacy valves off tanks I get, DIN or Yoke, and replace them with provalves. Half my regs now are DIN. That number is shrinking... As I service them I intend to convert to DIN. But it's a do as I say, not as I do kind of thing.
I don’t disagree. If renting primarily in those areas, yoke will work. Though if primarily diving your own tanks either will work. The yoke adapter doesn’t seem to be interfering (bumping against the OPs head), so it should still work fine.

And actually, the OP asked about if using a converter would harm his tanks or regs, not about changing the tanks over to DIN.
Thread title asked if he could switch his tanks to DIN, though in different words. The answer to that is yes. I do agree that the reasoning for wanting to was an incorrect fear that the adapter could cause issues.

OP already has the reg and yoke adapter, so he can use it on just about any scuba tank out there. I say convert the tank, and keep the adapter in the reg bag for when it’s needed, but converting the reg is an option.

THIS. If that is the diving he will be doing, why did he choose a DIN reg over a yoke reg?

Before the OP interprets this as criticism of his choice, I'll say that one of the first reg sets I bought was DIN, and the reason was that I learned from this fountain of knowledge we call ScubaBoard that DIN has some qualities that are superior to yoke. Well, that may be true in a mechanical sense, but as I traveled around the Caribbean and beyond and found that most of the dive tourism world is geared toward yoke, I eventually switched out the DIN fitting on my reg for a yoke fitting. That said, if I had been doing more of my diving with a tank that I owned, I might have left the regs DIN. So, the decision might take into consideration how much diving will be done with this particular tank versus with rental tanks.

And depending on your tank, it might even be possible that you have a convertible valve installed already. Depending on your tank type and age. Newer tanks are more likely.

LP steel. Maybe.
AL. Maybe.
HP steel. Very likely.

Post a pic of the face of the valve on your tank, and it will be easy to identify if it’s convertible or not. If it is, it may not be easy to get the insert out, though.
IMG_5074.jpeg

This is what I have. It doesn’t take an Allen key so I don’t think it has a way to convert.

Also I bought DIN because I read it was the preferred choice for tech diving. Once I acquire the training and skills I plan to do that hence the reason I got the DIN. I purchased this tank used for $75 bucks at a going out of business sale. While I was still green to equipment as I am now, and now realizing the regulator I bought and the tank I have won’t work. I have fears I don’t know why that using a din to yoke adapter presents it self with more problems in terms of risk to the regulator or tank since one more piece of equipment is being used outside of just connecting straight to the cyclinder. But I don’t know if that fear is correct or meaningless. I plan to just keep the tank and use it for my local dives. Just trying to figure out now if using an adapter will cause harm or degrade anything where I would need to change the cyclinder valve. Or maybe this is all a list cause and I should just buy a din native tank.

I have fears I don’t know why that using a din to yoke adapter presents it self with more problems in terms of risk to the regulator or tank since one more piece of equipment is being used outside of just connecting straight to the cyclinder. But I don’t know if that fear is correct or meaningless.
There are a couple negatives to using an adapter. First, it adds a bit to the connection, which could mean that you head or neck may contact the regulator. May or may not be an issue. Second, there is one more o-ring, so one more potential failure point. Regular inspection and maintenance of these o-rings will reduce the possibility.

The adapter will not cause any harm to your tank or regulator. Probably a good idea to store the adapter while not threaded to the regu just to make sure the threads stay clean.

I have fears I don’t know why that using a din to yoke adapter presents it self with more problems in terms of risk to the regulator or tank since one more piece of equipment is being used outside of just connecting straight to the cyclinder. But I don’t know if that fear is correct or meaningless. I plan to just keep the tank and use it for my local dives.
Okay, got it. There's nothing wrong with using the DIN-to-yoke adapter right now for your local diving. There is no real "risk" in terms of safety or any potential damage to the equipment. The main issue people have with the adapter is that they find it annoying, reducing the clearance between the reg and the back of their head. It bothers some people but not others. Some people also fret about the possibility of forgetting to bring the adapter with them when they go diving. Try it for a while and see how you feel about it. As you know now, the option is to switch out the yoke valve for a DIN valve.

When you start tech training, you're going to be using double tanks anyway--not this tank. [Edited to add: And not this reg. (credit to Aaron's comment below)] Double tanks will always have DIN valves.

i went through the same ordeal when I started. Read that din is superior and prefer choice of more advanced diving. But soon I realized for single tank, din offer net negative result. In Asian, most rental in US are yoke. You can always find this type. The same cannot be said about din. So the converter sit on the reg for 95% of the time. Head bump is an issue for me. And for maintenance, you really cannot let the converter sits there. After you finish for a day of diving, they needs to be removed, otherwise they will get stuck together won’t come part after as little as 6 months.

As for future advanced diving, by the time you get there, the cost of addition reg will look like peanuts. Buy the proper reg at that time, instead of buying something hoping you will get there, endursing all the inconvenience. Btw, I think legen 1st stage is not great for double back mount hose routing anyway. By the time you get there, chance of you buying something else is very high.

So my take is to convert the 1st stage. It is very simple. Most shop will probably do it for free. Enjoy your rec diving. If you need din in future, convert back.

Like many others, I switched my 1st stage from yoke to din many years ago and never looked back. Before all of my (mostly LOB) dive trips I checked with operator to confirm that they had convertible valves on their tanks. Although I took my adaptor along on a couple of trips "just in case" it ended up being dead weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom