i got robbed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my home broken into when I was 12 and my car broken into when I was 19. They stole a bunch of petty stuff at my home, and were later caught by the police. Insurance had already paid out so no biggie. My car stereo was stolen, but unfortunately the jerks that did it cut the main wiring harness for the car. Had absolutely no electronics (wipers, headlights, speedo, tach, etc.) with huge hole in my dash and no window. It was raining in the midde of December (nice and cold, at least for Fl) and I had to follow my dad for 20 miles to the insurance rep's office. Couldn't tell what speed I was doing or anything. Turned out to be 7200 worth of damage mostly due to labor of rewiring everything in the car. Two weeks after getting the car back I was rear ended and that cost 6500. The car was bad luck so I sold it shortly there after, but I loved that car :(

When I was a kid, someone broke into out house in the middle of the night while we were all sleeping. It was only after some time when we heard a noise downstairs that we realized that we had been broken into. Scary to think what could have happened to us while we slept, considering all the crazies out there.
Hoosier - a small hand gun would be better if coupled with a CCW permit. A gun would be useless in the house if it remained just there - in the house, and not with you in a moment of need.

yeah i couldnt imagine being home while strangers going through your house, thats intense!

years ago my friends car got busted into and they stole everhthign that was loose but the cliff richard and village people cd's :)

get yourself a webcam - set it up to record and IF the ***** come back in a months time (after you get all new stuff) you got them

totally sucks and i wish it never had to happen - at least you guys get to have guns, we arent even allowed to have sling shots down here

I got my house broken into when I was living in Fiji, I felt violated as I hardly any stuff, but they took what I had, including half used cosmetics, and condoms that they used on the lawn....

moral... get less stuff...If you dont care, it doesnt matter..

I had my beach home broke into a couple of years ago. After I had cleared the house I realized the intruder had stayed the night and left the TV on. As I walked through the door the TV show "Cops" was just coming on. So I cleared my home, gun in hand with the theme song "Bad Boys" was playing in the background. Funny now but at the time it was a little intense. Lucky for both of us they were long gone.

Bad boys, bad boys what you gonna do , what you gonna do when the armed home owner puts a hole in you, bad boys, bad boys.:2ar15smil

hoosier:
How about a small hand gun? After getting through the horrible expereince, now I can understand why some people has the gun at home.

There are a few things you need to consider before you rush off to buy a gun for home defense. First, can you really pull the trigger? Don't think for a second that shooting someone in the leg or just wounding them is an option. Shootings are very stressful and I don't care how good a shot you are, you must be willing to shoot center mass. Are you really prepared to take another persons life? If you are then you must choose an appropriate weapon with which to defend yourself. A handgun for instance is about the worst choice you could make for a home defense weapon. Get a shotgun and load it with 00 buck if you want a home defense weapon. The other thing you need to consider is who will have access to that gun? Small children and firearms do NOT mix. If you have small children around the house you need to consider how long it will take to get that gun lock off and how quickly you can load it. If you take an honest assessment I think you'll find keeping a gun unloaded and locked will simply take you too long to get the gun ready for action. There are also legal implications when defending property or even your own life with deadly force that you need to investigate.

By now many are probably thinking I'm anti-gun. Nothing could be further from the truth. I hold a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) and carry regularly. I have had to pull my handgun on 3 occassions, fortunately on all 3 occasions the other party thought better of their actions after they realized if they continued it might cost them their life. I've had to pull my handgun when 4 people tried to jump me in a parking lot, when I came home and found someone in my apartment trying to rob me, and when someone posing as a door to door salesman tried to force their way into my apartment. I've also had to get my shotgun out when someone was trying to kick down my front door. There's just something about pumping a 12 guage shotgun that seems to get some attention, they promptly left. I also had my car broken into twice, all of this within 1 year. Fortunately I no longer live in that area as I am making more money now and can afford to live in a nicer neighborhood. Some probably think I'm some sort of John Wayne but I'm not. I would rather someone take my personal belongings than have to take their life. If however I feel my life is in danger, I will respond with deadly force.

Sorry, to hear about that. that really sucks. the best alarm we have for this is 2 big rottweilers...1 is 130lbs. the other is 98lbs. no one will enter our house..well, they can enter but they won't come out. A few yrs. ago in another house we lived in..we had gone out and came home at about 1am. came home to find that the back door slider was open and my other rottie back then in the living room laying there with a what you would call it a smile in her face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom