I Got Bored Today So I made a new Back Plate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice work. One of my previous jobs had a laser and an NC brake. I had a plate drawn up in Solidworks, which was nice, as I could draw it bent, and then press a button and get my flat pattern. Unfortunately, the company hit some tough times and I was laid off before I got a chance to make it. Now I'm working in a tool and die shop with all the CNC milling and turning I can throw a stick at, but me and our shop foreman haven't yet persuaded the boss to add a laser or waterjet to the mix.

I've made a few backplates, but I've never had access to a water jet.
I have access to a brake, but I've had to chain drill my slots on some plates (never again), and I've been able to mill some, which is much better.

A water jet would be great to have.

I have some pictures in my photo albums, but they are not as clean as your jet cut plates.

Nice work, Man.:wink:

-Mitch

Very nice work. One of my previous jobs had a laser and an NC brake. I had a plate drawn up in Solidworks, which was nice, as I could draw it bent, and then press a button and get my flat pattern. Unfortunately, the company hit some tough times and I was laid off before I got a chance to make it. Now I'm working in a tool and die shop with all the CNC milling and turning I can throw a stick at, but me and our shop foreman haven't yet persuaded the boss to add a laser or waterjet to the mix.

The laser and waterjet are great tools in any shop and are a whole lot of fun :D

I've made a few backplates, but I've never had access to a water jet.
I have access to a brake, but I've had to chain drill my slots on some plates (never again), and I've been able to mill some, which is much better.

A water jet would be great to have.

I have some pictures in my photo albums, but they are not as clean as your jet cut plates.

Nice work, Man.:wink:

-Mitch

You do nice work also!

Great work!! That's some cool stuff!

Thank you, it kinda makes work fun sometimes.

**Ok here are some updated DXF files on the backplate. I added the elongated slot on the bottom mounting hole and also tank band slots in the plate for use with out a tank adaptor. Also angled the top shoulder straps 5 degrees for more comfort.
plate.png

* Also I got another wild hair and designed a travel plate....tell me what you think
travel.png

* Here are the files for each...

Attachments

• Scubabackplate4.zip
    7 KB · Views: 48
  • Travelplate2.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 32
Got to thinking...could you make a stainless plate and increase the weight to ten lbs or so? I could dive a ten lbs plate in the keys and not have any ditchable weight!

I've got a 10# SS plate I could sell you.

DP, that's a nice looking travel plate. I'm thinking you should start selling these. I've been wanting to add a travel plate to my arsenal.

DP,

Your "Travel Plate" . . .
. . . made one very similar. The customer loves it.

I think it came in at something like 3 lbs.

the K

Got to thinking...could you make a stainless plate and increase the weight to ten lbs or so? I could dive a ten lbs plate in the keys and not have any ditchable weight!

You would have to be a big boy to have a plate that large..:wink: ...Hammer Heads plate and single tank adapter comes in around 10lb 9 oz combined. Which is something you might look into, its called there cold water special.

I've got a 10# SS plate I could sell you.

DP, that's a nice looking travel plate. I'm thinking you should start selling these. I've been wanting to add a travel plate to my arsenal.

Hopefully I can get one cut to see if I like the design. Also find out the weight. I might start selling these if I can find the time, things are so crazy lately. :coffee:
DP,

Your "Travel Plate" . . .
. . . made one very similar. The customer loves it.

I think it came in at something like 3 lbs.

the K

K,
How thick of material did you use on the travel plate? I cant decided on thickness yet. I do want to stay in the 3lb area. Thanks
DP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom