I Got Bored Today So I made a new Back Plate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I have been so busy are work I haven't had time to update the thread. So here is the final product of the STA. This one is made of .250 Aluminum, my Stainless sheets has been used up. This is the travel setup I made for my wife. No logo for her.
IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

Mounted to the back plate
IMAG0654.jpg

IMAG0655.jpg

IMAG0656.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

I have since the start of the thread have made 4 plates for some of my friends just to say thank you and this one for my wife. When I get some more free time I WILL make a travel plate and I am currently drawing another travel plate kind of like the freedom plate. But I just wanted to do an update.

i may have missed this, but how have they felt in the water(comfort, sizing, etc...)?

i may have missed this, but how have they felt in the water(comfort, sizing, etc...)?

They have been great. My friends have maybe 30ish dives on theres and I am in the 20ish on mine. My friends plates were made from 11 gauge 316 marine grade stainless and they keep on telling me I need to produce these things, they wanted the 10 degree bends for the love handle areas on the plate but thats the only difference. My friends are built like me, 6' 1 to 6' 3 broad shoulders so the plates fit great. That was one of the original changes I made was adding 1.25 inch's total to the width and length for more comfort. I also made a standard size for my one friend who is 5' 9" and he says he loves his. I have not tried doubles yet with my plate so I cant talk about that but so far single tank diving have been great. My plate trimmed out great with the STA. I am using the second set of slots for top tank band. The valve spacing is good for me. I find reaching the valve is nice and easy with the STA spacing. BTW how is the GEKKO doing?

Its working great. Thanks

I need a creative freind with access to equipment like you. I need a travel plate and think it would be great to get something along the lines of yours. If you ever start to sell these, let me know. Sounds like I am built like you and your friends so your test reports will likely apply to me.

I need a creative freind with access to equipment like you. I need a travel plate and think it would be great to get something along the lines of yours. If you ever start to sell these, let me know. Sounds like I am built like you and your friends so your test reports will likely apply to me.

+1 on that. except i'm a little shorter at 5'10"ish.

I need a creative Friend with access to equipment like you. I need a travel plate and think it would be great to get something along the lines of yours. If you ever start to sell these, let me know. Sounds like I am built like you and your friends so your test reports will likely apply to me.

+1 on that. except I'm a little shorter at 5'10"ish.

I really need to cut the travel plate out. I just need to order some stainless here shortly also. I might be able to find some time here next week between runs I might get one cut. If I do I will post it. If I sell these I will surely send you guys one to test for your feed back. But I am looking way to far ahead. One thing that I find the plates I have made is that the extra width on the waist and shoulders feels more stable IMO. It just fits me better than say my Halcyon plate. Which I feel that Halcyons plate is a little on the small size. Here is a pic of the two side on top for comparison.
IMAG0659.jpg

hello DP

Please let me know when you take orders :D
They look GREAT. Aren't the perimeter holes too far from the edge, (mainly lower ones)? What size of bolt snap do you use? med? large?
thanks
Dan

hello DP

Please let me know when you take orders :D
They look GREAT. Aren't the perimeter holes too far from the edge, (mainly lower ones)? What size of bolt snap do you use? med? large?
thanks
Dan

Dan,
I use the X-Large clips that Dive Gear express sells. My meat hooks are pretty well abused from my offensive line days, and the XL make it easy for me.
boltsnapss3.jpg

They fit good for the hole locations right now. I don't have a large clip in my possession, But smaller clips would have a problem. If I sell these I would ask the customer that question and would change the location or diameter of the holes to fit his or her needs.

I have been getting a few messages about the weight of the .250 thick Aluminum plate and STA and I had a chance to put it on the scale today and took a quick picture. Well It is a heavy combo. At 6.2 lbs the Plate and STA are heavy!! It is probly one of the heaviest Aluminum plate and STA on the market. My Current Single tank rig is the halcyon stainless plate with weighted STA is 12lbs so I am losing 6 lbs for travel. Which is a good thing. This isn't a Super light combo, That is what the light weight travel plate will come into play. I am hoping the travel plate and STA will come close to 3-4 lbs to make me happy. Time will tell.
IMAG0660.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom