I Got Bored Today So I made a new Back Plate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And well done, DP . . .

It's good to see someone take advantage of his intelligence, initiative and resources.

the K

Another option is to Zip the .DXF file, which you can attach to a message. BTW, nice work.

I hope this works....:popcorn:

Attachments

• ScubaPlate.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 66
a good friend of mine that works in a machine shop is going to hate me now... I will be calling in "the favor."

Thanks!

*Well I had some time to design the STA on ESPRIT today.......I went with the elongated bottom mounting slot just since I didn't do it on my plate. Just so there would not be problems mating together.
IMAG0565.jpg

*I also had time to run it really quick on the Flow Water Jet also. I had to hurry so no pics while the water jet was cutting. :thinking: Sorry but here is the cut out after some file work and radius work. Now hopefully i can get it bent tomorrow or the next.
IMAG0566.jpg

*If anyone wants the DXF file to this here it is........

Attachments

• STA.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 27
That's how I made mine.

By the way, DP, there is, somewhere out there in diving land, a super-light back plate that I made from 3/16" 316 SS. Geez, it looks pretty much like swiss cheese. I cut out just about every piece of metal that was not structurally requisite.

I made it for Dave Schulte. He was in med school and sold it to another diver.

My wife, Yellow Angel Fish, and I were on a dive out of Panama City Beach. As we were headed to the dive site I saw this back plate. I asked the guy where he got it, and he told me.

I said, "If you'll look at the bottom left corner of the inside of the plate you will see a symbolic "TK". I made that plate.

It was kinda cool.

the K

That's how I made mine.

By the way, DP, there is, somewhere out there in diving land, a super-light back plate that I made from 3/16" 316 SS. Geez, it looks pretty much like swiss cheese. I cut out just about every piece of metal that was not structurally requisite.

I made it for Dave Schulte. He was in med school and sold it to another diver.

My wife, Yellow Angel Fish, and I were on a dive out of Panama City Beach. As we were headed to the dive site I saw this back plate. I asked the guy where he got it, and he told me.

I said, "If you'll look at the bottom left corner of the inside of the plate you will see a symbolic "TK". I made that plate.

It was kinda cool.

the K

That is a neat story K. I wish I could see the face of the guy that had the plate!!

It was soooo funny!!! The dive boat was pitching like there was no tomorrow. I saw the plate and crawled on my hands and knees across the deck of the boat to verify that which I thought I saw.

A nice day.

What I did was design a logo that I put on all my plates. I'd transfer the logo to some masking tape, cut it out and then glass bead the plate. Gave the plate a nice matte finish but the "TK" logo was still shiny.

I miss making plates. I made them to individual specs. Wasn't too hard to change the dxf file once I had generated it. Oh well, time marches on . . .

the K

Last edited:
It was soooo funny!!! The dive boat was pitching like there was no tomorrow. I saw the plate and crawled on my hands and knees across the deck of the boat to verify that which I thought I saw.

A nice day.

What I did was design a logo that I put on all my plates. I'd transfer the logo to some masking tape, cut it out and then glass bead the plate. Gave the plate a nice matte finish but the "TK" logo was still shiny.

I miss making plates. I made them to individual specs. Wasn't too hard to change the dxf file once I had generated it. Oh well, time marches on . . .

the K

You need to start making them again, I would love to see your work! I never thought that making backplates would be this addicting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the cool thread and for sharing your work. Nice job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom