I got bent without reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP;
I'm glad that you are feeling better.
I agree with the others who have mentioned hydration/exercise as possible contributing factors.(based on info given to me by my Drs.)

Regarding "undeserved" vs "unexplained":
(BTW,this is the first time I have heard the term "unexplained" used in this context.)

When I had a (probable/possible-long story) DCS2 hit in 2004, at first, the term "undeserved" was used. According to the Drs.,and my computer, I "broke no rules".
The term "undeserved " was replaced by "unexpected" ( a different Dr.), which also has a wealth of potential holes in it.
That said, I think that "unexpected" and/or "unexplained" are better than "undeserved"- as they may lessen the "guilt" factor, and may get others to talk about their situations.

but one thing missing is the ascent rate, and that can be critical.

The OP posted earlier that he was using a Suunto Vyper, which is one probably one of the more rate sensitive computers out there. For those not familiar with it, it's sensitive enough that if you're wearing one on your wrist and raise your arm too fast to look at it, you can set off the rate alarm. However, you may miss the indicator, or it may clear before you see it if you're ascending slowly enough (for instance, cleared by the safety stop), but it'll be in the downloaded profile data.

If the OP can confirm that the download's been checked and showed no exclamation points, then we can assume ascent rate is probably not likely to be much of an issue. Sorry if I missed it, but I couldn't find mention of that skimming back over the previous postings again.

Of course, for the other reasons mentioned, even a screen dump of the depth profiles would be generally appreciated for the sake of this thread discussion.

Thank you bleeb for pointing that out. I actually set down today and went completely back through the log. I am going to get it downloaded tonight when I get off work and post it up. I had one hit on my last dive which was exactly what you said I raised up my arm a little fast. you can tell when looking at the log. This computer is so sensitive that if you are any where under 19ft exactly it will stop your safety stop until you get in the sweet spot. If you do have a arm raising event it will cause you to take an extra minute on your safety stop. I actually stated before that I did a 4minute on my last dive which should have made a difference. Thank you for your input I will get you guys those logs

My limited understanding of DAN was that most regular insurance policies do not cover diving accidents-

Group health insurance plans differ on their coverage of diving accidents. My health insurance through my employer covers anything medically necessary to treat a diving accident (like a chamber ride).

I just want to thank the OP for telling this story and giving us all the details. I think we can learn from this. I'm very concerned about DCS and dive very conservatively, so I'm following this thread with interest. So, thanks for sharing your story. And I'm so happy you are much better and I hope you get fully recovered.

Group health insurance plans differ on their coverage of diving accidents. My health insurance through my employer covers anything medically necessary to treat a diving accident (like a chamber ride).

I actually spent a bit of time on this issue today with the result being by and large most group health policies will cover claims associated with diving incidences. Some will limit expenses associtated with accidents outside the USA. Individual plans have the greatest opportunity to exclude coverage as a result of their ubiqoitous pre-coverage questionnairs. For all those who control their own plans a bit of due diligence is in order to clarify coverage's.

As a pratical matter the selection of health coverage will be made irrespective of coverage assoctiated with diving. All that one can really control is the selection of an approptriate DAN insurance plan which will cover over and above one's health plan as well as most all out of pocket expenses including deductiable gaps...

Last edited:
And then there are the cases where the clinic wants money paid in advance. DAN will advance funds; how many medical policies will?

My medical doesn't cover me at all outside of the US, so I also do trip insurance - which might pay DAN some money back on an accident, if not excluded.

The vast amount of dive incidences which would give rise to a claim will not come close to exceding the limits ($250K per occurence) of DAN's best plan (Preferred). However, if the injuries are too severe that figure will be exhausted rather quickly. Therefore, if an active diver (especially tec) has an input into their insurance selection they may wish to address such details...

I’m not sure the semantics will make one bit of difference in the long run for the hit diver, since the feelings of guilt and shame aren’t tied to terms used by others anyway. It has everything to do with the diver in that moment. Euphemisms aren’t going to cull these feelings. The better thing to do is help the diver understand that it could happen to anyone at any time, assuming they want to listen.

That said, I’m not sure I agree with the distinction being made between “undeserved”, “unexplained”, and “unexpected”. In the first case, there is at least an indication that the person hit did nothing obvious that would suggest they deserved what happened. In the latter two, the possibility of the diver being at fault in some way is at the very least part of the set of explanations for why he or she got hit. This wiggle room might be all a diver needs to think they made a mistake.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom