I got bent without reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your post. You seemed to have followed all the rules,

And ya, if it were me, with those conservative dive profiles, I'd probably be in the same state of denial as you were......:D

Unless I missed it, the OP never said how long the dives were, what mix he was diving, how fast he ascended to his safety stop, etc so there's really no way to tell whether he was conservative or not.

Unless I missed it, the OP never said how long the dives were, what mix he was diving, how fast he ascended to his safety stop, etc so there's really no way to tell whether he was conservative or not.

He said he didn't make his computer fuss, so once could presume . . .

He said he didn't make his computer fuss, so once could presume . . .

Computers are more than happy to allow you to bend yourself...especially when coupled with "user error."

Before you make assumptions please read the post. I posted exactly how long my dives were. It is stated exactly what computer I dove. I also stated that I was diving air. I also stated that the dan and the barometric doctor looked over my dives and my comp and there was no sign of reason. I would thnk this would lead one to believe that I didn't accend to fast or break the rules or they would have said so. I have had two doctors from dan and a doctor in barometric medicine tell me that I took a undeserved hit. All I can say is read all of the post before you jump to conclusions over what heppened all of the information has been posted. I have no reason to lye about any of it even if I was the infromation from my dive computer doesn't lye.

Before you make assumptions please read the post. I posted exactly how long my dives were. It is stated exactly what computer I dove. I also stated that I was diving air. I also stated that the dan and the barometric doctor looked over my dives and my comp and there was no sign of reason. I would thnk this would lead one to believe that I didn't accend to fast or break the rules or they would have said so. I have had two doctors from dan and a doctor in barometric medicine tell me that I took a undeserved hit. All I can say is read all of the post before you jump to conclusions over what heppened all of the information has been posted. I have no reason to lye about any of it even if I was the infromation from my dive computer doesn't lye.

Mine was a reply to a post put up before you posted further info on dive times, gas used, etc.

Wasn't jumping to conclusions - just raising the questions.

Thanks for sharing, and thank goodness you're alright.

Before you make assumptions please read the post. <snipped> All I can say is read all of the post before you jump to conclusions over what heppened all of the information has been posted. I have no reason to lye about any of it even if I was the infromation from my dive computer doesn't lye.

Easy, airman . . . it's not worth getting . . . sorry, 'bent' over. :rofl3:

No, really, the pun isn't intended, but it sounds so right . . . . There are unfortunately a lot of people that don't read the whole thread before posting.

I don't know about the others, but your experience has taught ME to pay extra special attention to hydration. With a hundred factors contributing to DCS, your case shows every single one of them is important -- and you may still take an unexplained hit.

Glad to hear you are better. BTW - that knee that swelled - have you ever had other injuries to it?

Let me say this... take it FWIW.

I had a friend who thought they were bent (skin bends, full body "tingles"). They called DAN... Went to hyperbaric doc. They said, "yup you're bent" - dive profile was within limits, no reason for getting bent.

This friend went through several treatments in the chamber over a two week period.

Several months later; it somehow came around again. The final diagnosis: Poor circulation. NOT Bent.

What I'm saying is: Unless they did a doppler test on you to check for microbubbles, you may or may not have actually been bent. I'm certainly not a doctor, but keep in mind... You may not have actually been bent.

If I were you though, and even thought I was bent. I would:

A) Start diving Nitrox instead of air if you plan on doing these kinds of profiles in the future.
2) Increase the conservatism factor on my computer, of in lieu of that; be more conservative in my dive plan and/or NDL time remaining on my computer.

I'll say this about me.

I had done some deep dives, and had some minor symptoms after a deep dive (minor). But even still... on the subsequent dive, I changed my gradient factor from 30/85 to 30/80 - giving me MORE decompression time in the shallow stops. I had no symptoms at all after that. Was it just a pain from before or not? Who knows, but adding conservatism to your profile wouldn't hurt. :)

HowardE:
Unless they did a doppler test on you to check for microbubbles, you may or may not have actually been bent.

I'm not a doctor either, but my understanding is that doppler tests only show bubbles in the blood. Doppler tests do not show someone is or is not bent. Bubbles causing DCS are not necessarily in the blood, but can be in any tissue. Bubbles in the blood do not necessarily indicate DCS.

I'm not a doctor either, but my understanding is that doppler tests only show bubbles in the blood. Doppler tests do not show someone is or is not bent. Bubbles causing DCS are not necessarily in the blood, but can be in any tissue. Bubbles in the blood do not necessarily indicate DCS.

Do we have a doctor monitoring this thread who might be able to elaborate?

Thanks,
Carrie

Ok... Do you agree that it's entirely possible that he did not actually suffer from DCS? And that it's difficult to positively diagnose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom