I Give up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slipslop

Reaction score
i am thinking of giving up scuba diving. i am getting about 20 minutes of air time from a cylinder. I did my peak performancy boyancy course, got my weighting, buoyancy and trim just right yet i am still only getting 20 minutes dive time. When i started diving people told me my air consumption would improve the more i dived, well it hasnt and i am getting very frustrated. when i tell potential dive buddies my problem they just pair up with someone else, not that i blame them. maybe in the near future someone will invent a lightweight, double volume cylinder but until then i am giving scuba diving a miss

Have you thought about a bp/w and doubles? :scubadive
You could get 40 minutes bt then. :wink:

slipslop:
i am thinking of giving up scuba diving. i am getting about 20 minutes of air time from a cylinder. I did my peak performancy boyancy course, got my weighting, buoyancy and trim just right yet i am still only getting 20 minutes dive time. When i started diving people told me my air consumption would improve the more i dived, well it hasnt and i am getting very frustrated. when i tell potential dive buddies my problem they just pair up with someone else, not that i blame them. maybe in the near future someone will invent a lightweight, double volume cylinder but until then i am giving scuba diving a miss
How deep are you diving and how much work are you doing during the dive? Both of these will increasee your air consumption.

dlndavid:
Have you thought about a bp/w and doubles? :scubadive
You could get 40 minutes bt then. :wink:

Twin LP-130's, cave filled. :eyebrow: You'd get WAY over an hour with 300cf of gas!

Seriously though, don't give up. You'll get better as you relax more.

What size tank are you using?

What kind of shape are you in?

How many kick cycles do you do in a minute?

slipslop:
i am only ow certified so i stay above 18m, i fold my arms and just fin above the reef
observing fish etc
How hard are you finning, or how fast are you trying to go? Are you working against a current?

Diving should be very Zen like in that you try to become one with the water in a manner of speaking. If you are fighting against it at all you will burn a lot of energy and consequently use a lot of air.

If you are currently using a flutter kick, switch to the frog kick and work on obtaining long glides with the execution of each kick.

Put your arms on the side of your body or else interlock your hands behind your back, to cut down on drag.

dont give up man
give it time.
some take a little longer than others, theres nothing wrong with it..
just keep with it...its worth it

slipslop,

20 minutes is better than none, and I am sure that there is something you can do.
Try doing a dive without going anywhere, find a nice area on the reef and wait to see what comes and see you.

High air consumption usually comes from struggling, so stop struggling and relax, ejoy the time you have rather than lament the time you dont. You can always as has been pointed out, get a bigger tank, dive shallower, improve streamlining, or a combination of all of the above. Unless you are sseven foot tall and have lungs like a horse, you should improve in time, but untill then just listen to your breathing and make the most of the air you have..

dont give up unless you just dont like diving anymore.

Back
Top Bottom