I Give up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im gonna assume you are using rental gear...
using diferent gear every dive, means you have to re aquaint yourself with new gear than you had last time
mabye you can talk to the rental shop and try and arrange to get the same gear when possable?

slipslop.

You don't want to give up! There are several things to try first. As the others have said, minimize your work underwater and try to breath in nice and deep then exhale slowly, taking 10-15 seconds to completely exhale. I'm sure others will have more great ideas.

I was a 26 minute diver in shallow water with a 95cu' tank 'til about dive number 35 or so. Then it suddenly improved by about 10-15 minutes. At about dive # 100 someone told me to fold my arms because I was moving them way too much... jumped up a quite a bit.

These days I can easily bust the tables on any dive over 40 feet with an 80, maybe even with a 63.

It does get better, some pointers may expedite the process, but it does improve with more dives, expecially if you dive frequently enough to really get comfortable.

Aloha,

I enjoy sailing, if you're looking for a new leisure activity.

vladimir:
I enjoy sailing, if you're looking for a new leisure activity.

lol

Look at your fins. When I was a new diver, I had cheap TUSA fins, because that is what the LDS sold me. After switching to better fins, my times improved greatly.

Slip,
You're going to think I'm crazy, but you won't be the first. . .

If you have access to a pool in which you can "dive", go get a tank of air, gear up submerge and just sit in the shallow end for a bit, move to the middle for a bit, and then go stake out a corner in the deep end for the remainder.

Don't do anything, just sit there.

There is method behind my madness. I'll tell ya what it is after you do this - iffin you don figger it out in the meantime.

the K

I don't think someone only gets 20 min bottom time, at those depths, for not being completely streamlined or having bad fins, in fact unless its faulty reg/tank, I doubt its equipment related at all.

The above suggestions certainly will help cut down on time, but 20 minutes bottom time points to some other root cause. Some of these have already been addressed...

I would like to know how many dives you have so far? Do you find yourself being really anxious and breathing heavy for no apparent reason? Like someone else stated, are you fighting current and ofcourse, what size tank are you using?

Also, your physical make up / fitness will have EVERYTHING to do with this time also.

Please provide us with more detail, but if this is the only reason you want to give up scuba diving, then let us try and help you. There are solutions.

J

If you are unhappy with your present bottom time, just remember what it was before you took up scuba.

All I can say is that I recently downloaded the electronic log book from scubase.net and I am in the middle of data entry of all dives into the database. It is funny to look back and see the 1.0 SAC's and 20-30 minute dives at 60 fsw.

Right around 70 dives or so, my SAC improved, my diving improved and my times became longer. Now, my limit for 60 fsw dives is the boat captain's, not mine. Even so, 60-70 minute dives at 60 feet are my norm. It will come with time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom