I finally did it! Signed up for a bull riding school (trip report in this thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
A nuclear (or nucular) explosion is raw power. A bull is an angry animal with an unwanted rider that he wants desperately to get off his back. There is a difference. The bull cannot be predicted. He cannot be reasoned with and told "stop, I want to get off". He has no "disengage" switch. He will try to throw you and stomp your floppy ears into the dirt. :(

They aren't all angry animals, professional bulls are the cream of the bull crop while amateur bulls are just that, amateurs. They have to be bred to buck and they have to want to buck, I have seen some pretty sorry buckers at amateur rodeos. The school is not going to be a PBR level experience, these are bulls that are picked for their difficulty level and matched to the rider's ability and personal goals.

Green_Manelishi:
You are crazy.

You're just now figuring that out :biggrin:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
They aren't all angry animals, professional bulls are the cream of the bull crop while amateur bulls are just that, amateurs. They have to be bred to buck and they have to want to buck, I have seen some pretty sorry buckers at amateur rodeos. The school is not going to be a PBR level experience, these are bulls that are picked for their difficulty level and matched to the rider's ability and personal goals.

You're just now figuring that out :biggrin:

So, your bull will be named "Powder Puff" and your goal is to survive?

Nah, I already knew. I just chose to believe there was a limit to your crazy-ness :D

Be sure and have some pictures taken; but not of you all busted up.

adrenalineblues:
I spent 8 years doing the rodeo clown bit. I have seen most of the schools at one point or another. The Sankey school is probably only second to Gary Leffew's and unless you catch Judd or Paul Bret Leffew on the road you would have to come to Ca to get in one of his. In any case you haven't gone wrong. Lyle Sankey puts on a good school.

Most of thier schools are directed at people who are already riding and focused on enhancing thier skills. So check out if they supply any of the equipment. At the very least you will probably need a good pair of boots (ropers or something of the sort). Sneakers and spurs don't mix. Other than that be prepared to have fun, and discover muscles you didn't know could hurt...

Oh!!! GRats on realizing a dream!!!!

Thank you :) They do provide a complete line of equipment with the exception of the boots and I should still be able to wear the ones I used to wear with my horses during competitive trail rides. The website says their schools are for those with no experience and no plans for competing as well as for experienced riders who want to improve their skills to win rodeos.

My cousin did the rodeo clown thing for 20 years, he may still be doing it but I haven't heard from him in a couple of years. I heard he got banged up real bad; messed up his knee and has no medical insurance so I don't think he saw a doc, not that he probably would have anyway since he doesn't do doctors very well either.

I had enough time on a mechanical bull to find some of those muscles :wink: I did two consecutive 8 second rides once with about 30 seconds of recovery time, my legs were jello when I got off that thing. I was sore for days! I definitely won't be pushing the number of rides too far, if I start getting weak legs I'm done--gotta be able to run away once you get off.

Green_Manelishi:
So, your bull will be named "Powder Puff" and your goal is to survive?

Nah, I already knew. I just chose to believe there was a limit to your crazy-ness :D

Be sure and have some pictures taken; but not of you all busted up.

Nah, not "Powder Puff" how about "Raccoon Attack" :) Anything that even sounds like it might be related to Bodacious is out of the question though. Actually my goal is to ride well and look good for the pictures afterwards :eyebrow:

I'm trying to get someone to come and watch and take the pictures since I don't think the school does, they do take video though. Anyone want to volunteer to be a family member and take pictures if you won't come and take the class with me?

well, ber, i can't really ask you not to do it... since i ride a bike and most people think i'm crazy for doing it

but be careful ... them bull's is big

H2Andy:
well, ber, i can't really ask you not to do it... since i ride a bike and most people think i'm crazy for doing it

but be careful ... them bull's is big

Thanks Andy, of course I'll be careful :) You do the same on that bike, I don't personally know anyone who's been killed by a bull I know too many who were killed on a bike. Rest assured no moron on a cell phone is going to run over me in that class :wink:

Personally I think you're nuts, but then to each their own. I have been around animals all my life, but don't have the desire to be on a 2000- 2500# bucking bull. Then again I've enjoyed going over 5' jumps on horseback & raising & training 200# dogs in the past . Enjoy, be careful & good luck to you.

Ber Rabbit:
Nah, not "Powder Puff" how about "Raccoon Attack" :) Anything that even sounds like it might be related to Bodacious is out of the question though. Actually my goal is to ride well and look good for the pictures afterwards :eyebrow:

I'm trying to get someone to come and watch and take the pictures since I don't think the school does, they do take video though. Anyone want to volunteer to be a family member and take pictures if you won't come and take the class with me?

Racoon Attack? LOL. Be sure to bring Mr Browning for that one.

I am sure that unless you are busted up you'll look good for the pictures.

Good Luck Ber! Hope your riding instructor is as good as a NAUI Advanced Instructor I happen to know.
pc

Well, tomorrow is the big day! I'm soooo excited! Hopefully my husband and sister will make it up to watch one day and get some pictures. I understand the rodeo school sells videos of each school and I'm going to get one of those when they are available. I'll post a "trip report" when I get back :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom