I don't understand any of this - just tell me what to buy! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with Aqualung Titan LX,Mikron or Legend also B2 or Z2 are good choices can't go wrong with any of them.

If money isn't an object, I would go with the Atomic T2X. Yes, it's pricey, but only needs service every two years. Get a T2 alternate air, also. I've had mine for a couple of years, dove with it in Galapagos to the Caymans, and love the reg.

If that is too pricey, I'd go with the Aqualung Legend. Great reg (it's my backup).

The Titan LX is also a good reg, is nicely pneumatically balanced, and a good reg. Does need servicing every year (also have one of those in my family's 9 setups).

Like others have said, you need to be able to have it serviced locally.

And btw, I'm jealous of your assignment.

What awap said.

Also keep in mind that regulators have come a long way. I can't say that any particular brand of modern regulator isn't reliable. I like Mares. Their regs are built like tanks and can take a lot. I've known some to go years without even being serviced and still functioning fine (not that I suggest it). You can spend anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

I use a Mares Proton Metal and love it. I've dived with it from Cold to tropical, shallow to 110', From The Caribbean to the Maldives and never had a problem. Scubatoys services it yearly for me.

But, I would agree with the other posts. Find out what you can get serviced in the Islands and then point your search in that direction.

I think the issue of reliability and availability of service are the most important issues. I think the whole issue of performance is over hyped and performance differences are not that big between most modern regulators.

I dove with a US Divers Conshelf for years and the only service it saw for the first five years was an inspection I made at the end of each season. After five years I finally broke down and installed a kit. Nothing was malfunctioning, just a little wear and concern about the second stage diaphram material since I lived in a smoggy area, L.A..

All I did was rinse the regulator in fresh water at the end of the days diving and tried to avoid having salt water entering the first stage at the conclusion of each dive. I found all of my old equipment to be amazingly robust if treated properly.

I have an Oceanic DX4 for sale. Immaculate.

If money isn't an object, I would go with the Atomic T2X? Yes, it's pricey, but only needs service every two years. Get a T2 alternate air, also. I've had mine for a couple of years, dove with it in Galapagos to the Caymans, and love the reg.
Why would he--or anybody--choose the T2X ($1550) over the B2 ($650) or M1 ($700). I know you said, "if money is no object," but even the most profligate among us demand some added utility for their marginal dollar. What makes it worth more than double its stablemates, both of which also have a 2-year/300 dive recommended service interval? Is it the 1/2 pound in weight savings? Would it go better with his HUB? :confused:

Why would he--or anybody--choose the T2X ($1550) over the B2 ($650) or M1 ($700). I know you said, "if money is no object," but even the most profligate among us demand some added utility for their marginal dollar. What makes it worth more than double its stablemates, both of which also have a 2-year/300 dive recommended service interval? Is it the 1/2 pound in weight savings? Would it go better with his HUB? :confused:

One reason might be so he would not have to worry about corrosion if he does not get to clean his reg adequately after diving. Of course, whether that is worth the extra $800 to $900 is a good question.

Hell, I;m still wondering why a diver would spend over $500 for a regulator when perfectly adequate rigs can be had for half that price or less.

Perfectly adequate does not really describe it; the fact is that there has been essentially zero improvement in real-world regulator performance over the last few decades.

Regulator sales are based on hype and emotion. Customers, especially many new and inexperienced divers, tend to see that regulator as their life line, and the dive gear industry takes full advantage. In fact, regulators do a very simple job of stepping down pressure from the tank to ambient, and some of the simplest designs do this extremely well.

Again, if I were going on a two year dive trip in an isolated spot and could only bring one reg, I'd bring either a MK2 or a MK5, a couple of 109s, and a few rebuild kits. It would be very tempting to pack the MK5 ambient chamber with grease and stow away a D300. But I'd certainly have no interest whatsoever in a new expensive regulator.

Welcome to Scuba Board.

Forget about buying a new regulator and buy 2 setups. Contact (send a PM) someone who rebuilds regulators like DA Aquamaster http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pri...=newpm&u=12863 or BlueWaterDiving http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pri...o=newpm&u=7753 Tell them your diving needs and ask if either has a a couple of rebuilts ready to sell.

Now tell us what sort of contract one can get on KWA.

I almost fell out of a half cargo/half passenger 727 onto the ramp there on the way back from Truk. The ground crew opened the cargo door that I was leaning against from the inside. The flight attendant had me distracted somehow-Mr. Cool almost went head first onto the tarmac. :dork2:

Speaking of Truk, do you best to make it out there too whilst you're in the neighborhood.

c

I guess I would take a Conshelf… As far as I know, it is probably the only regulator that has many documented examples of working fine after 40 years without any service. I have bought several (30 and 40year old) units with original parts that were still working fine.

I guess if I was going to buy new, I would buy a Titan since it is the Conshelf direct descendent (it has many/most of the same internal parts).

My second choice would be a Scubapro MK-5/109.

Now, for the best performance combined with the best reliability, I would use a Scubapro 109 second stage and a Conshelf 1st stage.

Back
Top Bottom