I don't understand any of this - just tell me what to buy! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points about servicing. What sort of service is usually required on regs? Are they something that need regular adjustments and maintenance? Or is it just something worried about breaking?
For one thing, the regs need to be tuned properly and this impacts performance significantly. Scubatoys does a very good job of assembling the reg setup before it's sent to you...but minor adjustments may be required after initial use.

So long as the reg is cared for properly (rinsed in fresh water post-dive, stored appropriately, etc.), it can last a fairly long time (years) in-between overhauls with light-to-moderate usage. With higher usage, it would probably be advisable to overhaul more frequently. In general, a bunch of o-rings and a pressure seat or two are replaced during an overhaul. Some manufacturers have a free-overhaul-parts-for-life policy provided that the original owner gets the reg serviced at manufacturer-specified intervals. For reference, Scubapro requires an annual overhaul (labor costs of $50-$80 for one 1st stage + two 2nd stages), whereas Aqualung specifies overhaul once every two years with an "inspection" on the in-between years. Occasionally, parts break, the cracking pressure needs adjustment, some sand gets lodged inside a second stage, etc. Either find a good service tech to work on your regs or learn to do it yourself. At a minimum, I recommend purchasing an intermediate pressure gauge and learning how to tune your reg. It will save you a lot of time, effort, and $$$ in the long run.

For the most part, all of the major reg brands are quite reliable. At least that's been my limited experience.

I'm going to suggest Atomic Aquatics. They have a recommended 2 year service interval. Both of mine have never had a problem. But they're not as mainstream as ScubaPro, Sherwood or Aqualung - more likely to be found in remote dive destinations. Especially Sherwood, those seem to be everywhere as they're low maintenance and easy to service.

Is there a dive shop on Kwajalein? I'd buy whatever they can serviice. If you can afford it, I'd buy 2 regs and keep one in a box. At least buy a 2nd 1st stage, I carry a $60 Zeagle Rezort 1st stage (new from Scubatoys on sale) with me as spare gear. Assuming my 1st ever goes bad - I can switch 2nd stages and hoses myself.
Oh. Also if you want the whole package you could look at the Mares HUB. It's a BC with 'built it' octopus.
IMO buying a Mares HUB is a bad idea for where you're going. There are a lot of extra valves that need to be maintained so the Air-Trim inflator will work correctly since it's all done Pneumatically with small hoses/valves - a friend has one so I've seen it. And if the Airlock fails, you'll need to replace it with a standard tank strap - assuming that's possible - I can't recall what the tank mounting looked like. She may not have the Airlock either.

You want something basic and reliable - to me that's a known BC with a standard inflator - Zeagle or ScubaPro would be my choice. Since you're warm water diving a Zeagle Stiletto might be a good choice. Or their Express Tech if you want a more minimal system - you can add pockets to it if needed. Or a Backplate/Wing - with the right plate you may not need weights. They pack small also.

Last edited:
IMO buying a Mares HUB is a bad idea for where you're going. There are a lot of extra valves that need to be maintained so the Air-Trim inflator will work correctly since it's all done Pneumatically with small hoses/valves

You know what? That's a decent point you have. I use a Mares Airtrim. One of my other instructors used one and the inflator got sticky buttons and issues inside. I was able to fix it but it if you aren't mechanically inclined it is a pain in the ass. I've never had a problem with the pneumatic inflation and neither have my customers (I've sold several).

Good points about servicing. What sort of service is usually required on regs? Are they something that need regular adjustments and maintenance? Or is it just something worried about breaking?

I only know of one dive shop in Marshall Islands. You might want to email them and see if they service regulators. The email address is mda at majuro.jp (change the 'at' to an @ symbol).

There are moving parts in a regulator and they wear out. All regulators have a 'kit' technicians purchase to conduct regular maintenance. The problem is that if you are not an authorized service centre, you might not be able to get the 'kit' to service the regulator. Mares Abyss 22 regulators are great regulators but if there are no shops on the islands who service them you could have trouble.

The guys at Scuba Toys should be able to tell you which regulators are easy to get service kits for.

The final option is mailing the regulator back to some where like Scuba toys. There are people who live in places you cannot buy or service regulators. They have Scuba Toys mail the regulator to them. When it needs to be serviced, they mail it back to Scuba Toys. They service it and mail it back.

It is criticalthat you invest in a regulator that you can get serviced, or spares for, in your future location. Use google to research that. This will, most likely, cut your options down considerably.

There's rarely a need to opt for a 'high-end' regulator. If you plan to dive regularly, over a prolonged period... then the critical attribute you are looking for is reliability. Get a good 'work-horse' regulator, that is simple and has less parts to fail.

Pretty much any regulator from Atomics, Apeks or Scubapro will do fine. They are good brands.

Look at the service/spares issue first. Then go to a dive shop and actually see the regs. That may give you a preference. Compare costs (purchase and service) of the regulators, in contrast with their features, performance and personal preference. Make sure you understand what features are needed and which features are superficial. Make sure they are comfortable in your bite grip...and don't tax your jaw muscles. Once you made the decision...then google the internet to find the best online deal.

Scubapro and Aqualung are very dependable and can be serviced around the world.

You could buy two well serviced used regs so you have a back up. Zeagle tech bc and Dive rite tech are great. Get a back inflate. Back plate wing gives you the best control for diving.

I would get two of everything so you have a back up.

Make sure they are comfortable in your bite grip...and don't tax your jaw muscles.

SeaCure mouth piece. You mold it to your bite pattern like a mouth guard. Makes all the difference in the world.

Make sure they are comfortable in your bite grip...and don't tax your jaw muscles.
SeaCure mouth piece. You mold it to your bite pattern like a mouth guard. Makes all the difference in the world.
Another option is the Aqualung/Apeks Comfobite mouthpiece. It isn't molded to your bite pattern like the SeaCure, but I found it to be very comfortable. YMMV.

IMO buying a Mares HUB is a bad idea [-]for where you're going[/-].

Bad idea full stop. It's style over function. It's a gimmick to appeal to the gadget loving, credit card toting, shop-a-holicks.

There are a lot of extra valves that need to be maintained so the Air-Trim inflator will work correctly since it's all done Pneumatically with small hoses/valves - a friend has one so I've seen it. And if the Airlock fails, you'll need to replace it with a standard tank strap - assuming that's possible...

Great advice by Steve. The HUB has no more functionality than even the most basic BCD.... but it has a thousand extra components that can (and do) fail.

K.I.S.S.

Less is more.

You want something basic and reliable - to me that's a known BC with a standard inflator - Zeagle or ScubaPro would be my choice.....Or a Backplate/Wing - with the right plate you may not need weights. They pack small also.

BP&W is a great option...if you need a reliable, rugged, simple, easy-to-maintain, flexible, sturdy system that allows you to maintain great buoyancy and trim.

If I had to use a jacket BCD, I would probably opt for a Zeagle Ranger or a Buddy Commando (but you probably can't get those in the US).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom